12v supply not working on EHU

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Sterling Europa 490 2004, 240v works fine, 12v suddenly has become only available from battery. The battery is not charging, but on-board condition meter shows things to be "green". Battery became discharged, but charged fine at garage charger. Charger switch is on, ESM 2 unit switch in "van" works OK, but no 12v in middle position. I have checked fuses that I can find - behind battery box, front bed and under wardrobe. I can't find any fuses next to charger unit. What about habitation relay; can it go wrong?
Has the ESM 2 unit had it?? I'm not very good with sparky stuff, but can tackle most other jobs - is a replacement by engineeer best?
I think I may have answered my own question here - but I need to know I've covered all the options before "getting a man in"!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have you checked the battery voltage at the battery terminals?
You need to use a multimeter and with no power connected to the van, measure the terminal voltage.
Now connect the mains, ensure charger is ON and check the terminal voltage again.

With no power connected and a good battery you should have around 12.8v, with power on and charger working you should have 13.8v
The Car/Van selector is just that, to select where the power is coming from.
On site it should be set to van.

On board battery indicators and the "eye" on batteries are not accurate in any way and should only ever be taken as a VERY rough guide.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
As well as Damian's advice check that the mains input to the charger is connected. On mine it is a kettle connector and fell out. (Fault on the unit lid allowed it to happen.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts