13kg propane bottle in front locker?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We got our first 13kg propane bottle today and its looks as if will fit in the front locker okay although it is slightly "fatter". Obviously a big saving over the 6kg bottle which costs £13-50 against the 13kg which costs £17-50. Although not a problem at present as the caravan is permanently on site, I was wondering if it would be safe to travel with 2 x 13 kg bottles in the front locker? The caravan is a Lunar 2004 twin axle. Also considering perhaps putting a plank in the bottom of the front locker to distribute the weight. What do you think as the 13kg bottle is a lot cheaper.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If the front locker will take two 13kg bottles and has proper provisions to tie them down safely, there's no reason not to. After all, many caravanners that go winter touring abroad need two large bottles to tie them over during longer holidays in the snow. You just need to check that the noseweight doesn't go over the limit with all that weight up front.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian, I used to do this all the time when rallying and with no electric hookups all cooking & heating was on gas. As Lutz says check the noseweight and ensure that they are secure because the retaining straps fitted at the factory are normally for 6 /7kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian,

I own a 1998 Baley Pageant with the facility to fit qty 2 13.5Kg gas bottles, The retaining straps hold the cylinders no problem.

I only take Qty 1 bottle with me, as for the past 2 years we have not needed to replace it , even though we used the bottle for cooking for 99 nights.

Within the front locker we have the Qty 1 Gas bottle , Qty 2 off water containers, various other lightweight items, and we still manage to keep below the 75 max tow weight for our Vauxhall Vectra Estate

Roy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts