1995 Swift Challenger problems

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
We recently bought our first van, a 1995 Swift Challenger from a dealer, when viewing the van we were told that they dont sell any damp vans, and that it would be fully serviced before we picked it up. Everything looked ok so we bought it.

Within the first few miles of the drive home it became apparent that there was something wrong, when braking even very lightly, the van violently rammed the back of the car so hard that if i'd made an emergency stop the van would have given us whiplash! Having picked the van up near closing time it was now too late to take it back, when we got the van home I found that the hitch damper was totally defective, should this not have been picked up on when it was 'serviced'?

We called the dealer and they agreed to send somone out to look at it, 1 hour after they were supposed to arrive I called the dealer again, to be told that he was on his way, another hour passed before he arrived. (its only a 15 minute drive)He removed the damper and told us they would have to order a new one. This was replaced the following week and we had hoped this would be the end of our problems.

The van was supplied with a new battery fitted, it soon became obvious that the battery was not holding its charge so we called the dealer again they knew about this problem, said they had a faulty batch of them and agreed to bring another one out to us. This never arrived, we ended up picking it up from them ourselves as we were due to go away in the van, although this battery works ok, it does not appear to be a new one.

Unfortunately this was not to be the last of our problems either, yesterday when closing the blind to the rear kitchen window, the blind came off in my hands, the screws (rusty) have pulled out of the wall which is extremely damp. I lifted the window seal to find the wood has gone black and is soft, the staples holding the wall boards on have gone rusty, the wall board is soft, on further inspection the whole of the back wall appears to be damp. This seems to have come in through the joint between the roof and rear panel.

Im just waiting for the dealer to open so I can call them regarding this problem.They gave a 6 month warranty on the van but to be honest now I've really had enough of this van. I would like it to be replaced with another dry! van or my money back, what are the chances of this?

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Just spoke to the dealer, went more smoothly than expected! They have agreed to strip the back end replace all the damaged wood, reseal the panels and replace the damaged wall boards.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
sorry to hear about your problems.Are you going to name and shame this dealer so others dont hand over their hard earned cash to these rogues ?

In my experience of viewing swifts of that era , damp appears to be the norm unfortunately.

Hope all is sorted sooner rather than later.

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
I'll wait and see to what standard the repairs are carried out before I decide whether to name them. With all the other faults I forgot to mention the floor has started to delaminate but this is also going to be repaired when it is in for damp repairs in 2 weeks time. There is also some sort of restriction in the waste pipe from the kitchen sink as it takes hours to go down.

On a more positive note I was told that if I trade the van in within 12 months they will give back exactly what I paid for it, whether I will buy another van from them is another matter!

I think I will be looking away from swift as well, or have I just been unlucky with this one?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts