2 or 4 wheels

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have had both types of van. The single wheel vans are easier to manover off the car. But when towing if you get into a snake they tend to sway easier as a twin axle van has an inherant desire to go straight. twin axle vans tend not to sway as much so long as they have resistence to turning due to the two fixed axles approx 1 mtr apart. However the modern twin axle vans do suffer from weight transfer as you go over speed bumps as the axles are totally indipendent of each other. I have a twenty foot twin axle link 575 built in 1982. This van has the two axles linked together (hence the name)which avoid weight transfer. as the front axle goes over the ramp the rear axle lowers to compensate and so keeps the van level, and as the rear axle goes over the ramp the front one does the same. The system has it's origins from lorries. All this means is that the tow car does not yaw up and down as the van traverses rough terrain. The only draw back as I've experienced is when you have a puncture you don't get the noise transfer of the tyre rumbleing along the road, as the axle doesn't dip down and put the van's weight onto the wheel rim. Having said that I much prefer towing with a twin axle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Brian, You obviously appreciate ether are both pros and cons to both single and twin axle caravans; In my opinion the only real benefits of twin axles, are the improved stability of the outfit, Having two sets of wheels trying to run in the same tracks resists the yawing movement associated with snaking. Twins also have more latitude in the loading of the caravan, though it is sensible to follow the same methodology as for singles with regards to weight distribution. In almost all other respects, twin axles offer no significant advantage. However there are some disadvantages of twin axels, Twice as may tyres to replace, difficult to accurately assess nose weight, the feedback you get in the car from the trailer when towing can be more jerky, (also vibrations inside the caravan can be more severe) hard to manoeuvre the van by hand around corners, levelling when on site etc. So why do we have twin axle vans? I'm not entirely sure!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Assuming everything else is the same, the twin axle will usually be less 'twitchy' when towing but it does have the big disadvantage that it's virtually impossible to move around by hand. Even relatively big single axle caravans can be shifted by hand on hard ground but you'll definitely need assistance with a twin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some French site owners (particularly at municipal sites) ban twin axles, either because (a)of possible damage to the grass, or (b) because of the size of the 'van, or (c) (most often) because they associate them with "travellers".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian - our first 'van in '86 was a 2 wheeler, then we had 2 Lunar Delta twins, now we have a Caravelair 2 wheeler (kids have gone!) Twins are generally more stable, though being bigger are more susceptible to bow waves from coaches & big trucks overtaking. Todays twins are much heavier - typically with a MTPLM of 1500kg+, so you'll need a 4x4 or large estate to safely tow one. Sideways levelling is more difficult & maneouvering must be done with the tug, although they're a bit easier to reverse as they're slower to react to the tug's steering inputs. As most twins are placed at the top of their market sector, they're generally better equipped. Tyre costs are double, and annual servicing is more expensive too. Insurance is higher & some Ins Co's won't insure them because they are very sought after by thieves. If you have a large family, & you've got an adequate towcar then go for it as the extra 3-4' of space can make all the difference.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having started with a single axle van we have now changed to a twin axle for the simple reason of space. In % terms the difference is huge and as we spend more time in our caravan than pulling it or manouvering it I consider that the additional weight (provided that the car is a good match) is a worthwhile penalty.

I also agree with the other posts that the twin is less susceptible to snaking and seems more stable when buffeted by a crosswind or passing HGV's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts