2 wheel or not 2 wheel

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
My wife and I have been caravaners for years, but have always had single axle models. However, we have just retired, and are really keen on a twin axle Bailey.
My queries are:- how much more difficult are twin axles to set up, i.e. on a site that is not level, and how is the the new bailey holding up?

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't find levelling my twin too much of a pain - i just make sure a pick the most level pitch i can find, and if i need to raise one side i simply drive the caravan onto a long plank with the mover.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
had a twin axle for just over a year and wouldn't go back to a single axle now. no problems levelling so far, except getting the wheel lock lined up, but that was worse with the single axle, at least with twin you have two to chose from! As far as a bailey goes, I'm sure if that's what you like, it'll be fine.

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Changed from a single to a twin 5 years ago and as others have said i wouldnt go back. Leveling has never been a problem. I carry a board approx 2ins high 8ins wide and 4ft long, just pull the van on and thats it. as for front to back never had a problem. I have a mover fitted but rarely have to use it as i find reversing easier with the twin.
It is a matter of personal choice and I am sure there will be some negative posts telling you that you can have just as big vans on a single axle. But for me the twin feels more stable on the road and not as twitchy in windy conditions.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Delt1c said:
It is a matter of personal choice and I am sure there will be some negative posts telling you that you can have just as big vans on a single axle. But for me the twin feels more stable on the road and not as twitchy in windy conditions.
Is it really a matter of choice? I can't think of any caravan on the market where you can choose between a single and a twin axle for the same size and layout. You get what the manufacturer thinks fit. Continental makes tend to prefer single wherever this is still possible. Hobby were the first to bring a 2000kg single axle on the market.

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
It is down to buyer to choose make, layout and axles, yes there may be no vans wih choice of either t/a or s/a , but it is down to buyer to choose what they perfer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lutz
I think the British manufacturers, Bailey and Swift certainly, have tried to make a SA similar to a TA , eg the Bailey Unicorn Valencia at 1565kgs is only slightly smaller than the Barcelona SA at 1756kgs.
Now if the UK manufacturers did what the Europeans do them we have a different ball game.

I will however say a motor mover is an essential piece of kit with caravans of these weights , whether they be SA ro TAs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Malestroit012.jpg

This sign was seen on a Municipal site in France last year
It used to be said that you could recognise the owners of twin axle vans as they were the ones with bad backs but that was before movers
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts