2005 VW Passat 1.9 TDI Estate - Low/High Mileage.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
As some will know i am returning home to the UK from Australia and i am slightly out of touch regarding what you would consider as Low or High mileage as we work in Klms over here.
I am interested in purchasing a 2005 VW Passat Estate 1.9 or 2.0 TDI and have seen some on eBay UK with mileage anywhere between 55,000 & 180,000 + miles.
Can anyone give me some advice on what would be the average mileage for a 2005 model of this car.
Thanks in advance.
Tony

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's frequently said that the average UK car mileage is 12,000 miles/year but it's too much of a generalisation - I've observed over many decades that very few under-average mileage cars come up for sale which makes me question whether the average in reality is much higher - cars typically do more in their first 3 years than subsequently so I use a "gut-feel" of 12,000/year in years 1-3, 10,000 in 4-5 and 8,000 after that.
So for a 6-year old Passat, my gut feel would give 64,000 miles - BUT - condition is far more important and many high mileage business-use cars have been properly maintained on schedule and be in far better condition than a low mileage shopping car that had little or no maintenance after the warranty ended

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi RogerL
Many thanks for those statistics regarding mileage and i understand what you say regarding a buisness owned vehicle with higher motorway type of miles with good service history.
Let you know how i get on.
Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would think most VW Passat Estates are purchased by company's for their sales reps / repair personel. So you would expect an higher mileage than the avererage 10,000 - 12,000 of normal driving. I have had a number of estates in the past due to having dogs and all where above the normal milage for used vehicles. The plus is, they will almost certainly have had regular maintainance and in most cases have been looked after by the driver who would have also used it as a family vehicle. So a vehicle of this year, 2005, you would be doing very well to find one with under 100,000 mile on the clock unless it was a private purchase from new and there aren't many of those about. I personally have never had a car with so many miles on and my last 4 where purchased new form the dealers. I do know others who have purchased high milage vehicles and have run them with very little problems. This year and this vehicle i would expect 100,000 miles +.
Bri

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts