2010 Bailey Pegasus 462

Jun 3, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, just had the pegasus and am aware of the potential problems with the floor rotting at the corners although this one is ok at the mo. Just wondering is there any additional external sealing that can be done to keep the water away or can you check if any rainwater drain points are blocked or any additional waterproofing that can be used in the corners.

TIA. owdun ( peter )

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We had one of those - best caravan we ever had, especially if like me you are over 6ft!

The water ingress issue in the front side lockers was due to poorly fitted/sealed grab handles on the front letting water get in. They resurfaced the locker floors (remove the trays) under warranty. We also had a small amount of wetness but not actually rotting on the outside of the offside underfloor right at the front. Again that was resurfaced under warranty. It was suggested that water spray from the car could have contributed so we fitted hefty mudflaps which stopped it.
The only other issue we had was that the Alu-Tech body can distort slightly if the caravan gets hot outside and it is not set up exactly level. The result was that we couldn't open the door from the outside but we could from the inside. Our dealer put is right on that one: the internal handle pulls the catch back further than the outside handle BUT if you turn the lock from the outside using the key it will also pull the catch further back. The body distortion on that occasion (at CMC site Sandringham) also made the glass lid on the cooker foul the bottom of the cupboards above it, but it corrected itself when the body cooled down overnight.
We found out the hard way that the noseweight with the van empty is well over 100kg. We bought some Really Useful boxes (that happened to be exactly the right size,) put our cleaning materials and spare bedding in them and put them inside the wardrobe in the bathroom. Balanced the van at 84kg noseweight and never suffered any tail wag.
Had that van six years it having been two years old when we bought it. Loved it, and a much better van than the Unicorn 4 Seville that we bought new to replace it.

Reactions: oldun and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Oldun, I have often wondered about sealing our 2013 Coachmans roof edges, whilst they are still good, with this tape. Others have said if I then want to sell the van it might be questioned as to why I sealed it. Obviously to stop water ingress.
Whats the thoughts folk. Still thinking of doing it. In 2015 Coachman resealed all joints after a rear panel replacment. At the factory.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Oldun, I have often wondered about sealing our 2013 Coachmans roof edges, whilst they are still good, with this tape. Others have said if I then want to sell the van it might be questioned as to why I sealed it. Obviously to stop water ingress.
Whats the thoughts folk. Still thinking of doing it. In 2015 Coachman resealed all joints after a rear panel replacment. At the factory.
Tapes such as Eternabond or Rooflock have an excellent reputation for sealing and longevity, whereas Gorlila or Duct are mostly suited for effecting a temporary seal pending a proper repair. But you have put your finger on the dilemma. If you use them on the van it could affect its resale value. So it all depends really on how long you plan to keep the caravan and the cost benefits of reducing the possibility of leakage. Using sealing tape across the two transverse roof joints though wouldn’t be so noticeable as it would look like a manufacturer fit.

I can only imagine the advice that would be given to some Newbie asking whether they should buy this very well looked after caravan with sealing tape over a number of its joints?

PS the two tapes mentioned are extremely difficult to remove. The emphasis on “ difficult”

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Given the potential water ingress pointed out by Woodentop, I would ask for evidence that the warranty rep[air has been done and check the area with a damp meter.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If I were to seal our roof joints with a tape such as Roof lock, ( which I am still thinking of doing )and subsequently sell the caravan, showing a potentiel buyer the 10 /15 year serice record of no damp, if I were a buyer, I would believe the seller as to why the tape was fitted. A dealer would not even look.

Jun 3, 2022
Visit site
We had one of those - best caravan we ever had, especially if like me you are over 6ft!

The water ingress issue in the front side lockers was due to poorly fitted/sealed grab handles on the front letting water get in. They resurfaced the locker floors (remove the trays) under warranty. We also had a small amount of wetness but not actually rotting on the outside of the offside underfloor right at the front. Again that was resurfaced under warranty. It was suggested that water spray from the car could have contributed so we fitted hefty mudflaps which stopped it.
The only other issue we had was that the Alu-Tech body can distort slightly if the caravan gets hot outside and it is not set up exactly level. The result was that we couldn't open the door from the outside but we could from the inside. Our dealer put is right on that one: the internal handle pulls the catch back further than the outside handle BUT if you turn the lock from the outside using the key it will also pull the catch further back. The body distortion on that occasion (at CMC site Sandringham) also made the glass lid on the cooker foul the bottom of the cupboards above it, but it corrected itself when the body cooled down overnight.
We found out the hard way that the noseweight with the van empty is well over 100kg. We bought some Really Useful boxes (that happened to be exactly the right size,) put our cleaning materials and spare bedding in them and put them inside the wardrobe in the bathroom. Balanced the van at 84kg noseweight and never suffered any tail wag.
Had that van six years it having been two years old when we bought it. Loved it, and a much better van than the Unicorn 4 Seville that we bought new to replace it.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply, I have removed both front trays and lo and behold there's wet under them although the floor is still solid at present apart from a small area on the front near under side which I will repair this week. I intend to seal the ****** within an inch of its life then hose it down again and check for any water ingress. I shall also seal the floors inside the front lockers and refit the plastic trays with spacers to leave an air gap beneath just in case. The rear corners are also soaking wet when the van is cleaned so off with the bumpers and in with the sealant !!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The locker floors need to be 100% dry before you do any repairs. When ours went in to the dealers they left a fan heater running on both locker floors for over 72hrs until it looked and felt dry, confirmed by a moisture meter.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 3, 2022
Visit site
The locker floors need to be 100% dry before you do any repairs. When ours went in to the dealers they left a fan heater running on both locker floors for over 72hrs until it looked and felt dry, confirmed by a moisture meter.
I've got both doors open today in the lovely sunshine but thought of a fan heater also when it cools down a bit. like the idea of moisture meter check as well so don't seal any moisture in !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts