2016 Bailey Pegasus Brindisi review

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The four-berth, transverse island bed, full-width end washroom Brindisi is an addition to the revamped-for-2016 Pegasus range from Bailey Caravans. To read our Group Editor's review, just click here.

What do you think of this van?

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm seriously considering buying this caravan and was a little disappointed in the review. The reviewer said of the bed "As is the norm, it has ‘day’ and ‘night’ modes: in the former, it’s easier than we’d expect to get around the foot of the bed to the washroom".

Bailey are unlikely to have made it difficult to get round the bed in 'day' mode. What would be useful is to know how easy it is to get round in 'night' mode, for the benefit of those of us who can no longer "last the night"! :(

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Chalky9 said:
Bailey are unlikely to have made it difficult to get round the bed in 'day' mode. What would be useful is to know how easy it is to get round in 'night' mode, for the benefit of those of us who can no longer "last the night"! :(

Hi there. Our Group Editor wrote the review and he's currently on holiday, but I will ask him and see what he says. If you regularly need to use the washroom in the night, you could sleep on that side of the bed? But, of course, both occupants might require access.

I'll post again when I hear more!

Oh, and I see that this was Chalky9's first post – a warm welcome to the Practical Caravan forum! :)

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Thank you!

Yes, sadly both of us are of an age when nocturnal visits are the norm, and I'm the one who will end up sleeping furthest from the bathroom!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
This is what I don't understand about these transverse island beds; the argument for this space hungry configuration is that it means each person can get to of bed without climbing over the other. True unless you want the bathroom in the night. Also they supposedly give you a " fixed bed" except that you have to make and unmake it night and morning in order to dd the extra cushion when you slide it in and out. Hence no advantage either way. Not for me.
Mel

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I think you're being a little harsh in your assessment. Bailey Unicorn Vigo owners report that they can "shuffle" round the extended bed without disturbing their partners. The Unicorn is 2 inches wider than the Pegasus, which is why I would like to know what the clearance is in the new model.

As for making up the bed, the extra bit at top of the bed folds up when retracted, so I don't think it is really necessary to "unmake" the bed as you claim.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Chalky9, I've had a reply from deepest Slovenia (where our Group Editor is currently on holiday with his family!): "Like all vans with this layout it's a compromise – the Pegasus isn't as wide as a Unicorn and it's a 6ft 1in bed – but it's certainly possible to squeeze by." I hope that helps.

Maybe it's a case of trying it out for yourself. Bailey might well have a Brindisi on its stand at the NEC show in October, so go along and see if it works for you.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Ah, sorry, I didn't know that! :)

Having said that, a caravan is a big purchase and you want to be sure you buy the right van for you, so maybe making a trip to the UK to the NEC show in October isn't a bad idea, as you'll get to see tonnes of models in one place on a single trip, so you can evaluate them back-to-back and see which layout works best for you? Better than taking a punt and getting it wrong/compromising in the wrong areas?

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes, point taken.

I'm doing plenty of research on various forums and websites, and then we plan a brief visit to a dealer in the south when the time comes to make a final choice. We also had a look at some models when holidaying in the UK earlier in the year.

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm also interested in moving to the island bed and would like to measure the night time gap (roughly 8" tight on the wider Pegasus at bed frame level and less with a duvet in place.)
The height of the kitchen mono tap does not allow you to fill the kettle with the sink cover hiding the sink contents! :(

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
hi we have got a brinndisi and we have no prob with the bed my wife gets past it easy of the night we had a swift before a side fix bed and wot a pain getting out we are both in our 70s so we went for a bit of luxery in our old age its a great van plenty of storige great to tow cheers .tom

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Since the topic started we have bought the Brindisi. Here are a couple of tips the reviewers are not aware of.
Our solution for the night position of the bed is this. Pull the metal frame fully out, then the mattress, push the metal frame back under the mattress about 3 or 4 inches. The frame is stable at this position and the extra room at knee level makes the squeeze past much easier.
The mattress folding end drops down easy enough just leaving a little tidying of the fitted sheet and then position the pillows on top. It is certainly not remaking the bed as one punter remarked above. The mattress design is so comfortable no memory foam is necessary.
The technique to raise the bed on the struts requires a little knack too. With the bed frame in the day position pull the mattress forward a few inches to leave a gap above the head of the mattress. Then raise to the full extent of the struts. The frame settles down a little way to get the required internal strut pressure to keep everything secure,
Every little helps :lol:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts