2016 Coachman 560 VIP / Thetford N3000 Model A fridge query.

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, re. title I have previously read that caravans have to be level for the fridge to work, but I don't understand why that is? It is an 'absorption' type fridge but to be honest I don't know what that actually means. The Thetford manual doesn't explain a lot either.

We're can't get our Thetford fridge to cool down at the moment set on mains only and not 'auto'.
Admittedly the caravan is presently parked nose down up a slant on our driveway, so I'm going to level it up and put the fridge back on mains only.
It's one of those things we like to be sure of before booking in with the dealer for a warranty fix.

Just wondering, has anyone else had issues running their Thetford fridge on mains only?

Many thanks. ST.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Slowtow.

Welcome to the forum.

The short answer to your question is yes, other people have had problems with running absorption fridges, becasue they have not leveled them enough.

The reason absorption fridges need to be near perfectly level, is that inside the refrigeration system there is a combination chemicals which depending on where they are around the circuit can be vapour or liquid. To make them circulate correctly, some of the sections of the refrigeration circuit have to use gravity to help move the liquid in the right direction, but if its tilted, depending on teh direction of the tilt, the liquid might not flow or it might try to flow too quickly. In either case the refrigerant fluid may not be in the right place at the right time.

Some fridge manufacturers do publish leveling requirements and it seems the limit should is within +/-3 degrees in any direction.

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Hello Slowtow.

Welcome to the forum.

The short answer to your question is yes, other people have had problems with running absorption fridges, becasue they have not leveled them enough.

The reason absorption fridges need to be near perfectly level, is that inside the refrigeration system there is a combination chemicals which depending on where they are around the circuit can be vapour or liquid. To make them circulate correctly, some of the sections of the refrigeration circuit have to use gravity to help move the liquid in the right direction, but if its tilted, depending on teh direction of the tilt, the liquid might not flow or it might try to flow too quickly. In either case the refrigerant fluid may not be in the right place at the right time.

Some fridge manufacturers do publish leveling requirements and it seems the limit should is within +/-3 degrees in any direction.

Many thanks PJL and Hi! Yesterday for some strange reason after bringing the 'van home I neglected to level it up like I would of done previously. I've done that now and the fridge on mains only is cooling down nicely😊
Actually it got me thinking(dangerous); when towing with fridge set to 12v there naturally will be hills and all sorts that'll momentarily stop the fridge from working due to the absorption function how you described, so I guess the absorption type fridges have to be quite resilient which is just as well seeing how noisy a compressor type would be. Talk again. Cheers! ST.

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Compressor fridges are not particularly noisy. Most of us live with one in our kitchens at home.

We have one of those american style chillers that are popular and in the dead of night it sounds like draculas coffin being opened and closed. I don't hear it but the wife does so it must be true!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I thought the fridge being perfectly level harked back to the days when gas was used for them to work? Didn't think it was an issue when plugged into mains unless you were way off from being level.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
What’s to say that your fridge is correctly mounted in the van? I level my van with a spirit level on the work top….never had a problem with the fridge working BUT it almost sounds as if we should be levelling up using the fridge. Just a thought is all 🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What’s to say that your fridge is correctly mounted in the van? I level my van with a spirit level on the work top….never had a problem with the fridge working BUT it almost sounds as if we should be levelling up using the fridge. Just a thought is all 🤔
I always did the same as you and never had any fridge problems, well at least as gar as its ability too cool things was concerned. I did have the normal raft of glitches that come with caravan fridges, but they are par for the course and stop you getting bored.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Provided a caravan has been correctly constructed (wishful thinking perhaps?) the fridge should be close enough true to the floor, so normal leveling processes should be good enough.

I mentioned earlier 3 degrees of tilt. If you were to deliberately set up a caravan 3 degrees out, you would almost be certain to feel it as being uncomfortable.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Thank you all for the further replies and yes the caravan was off level which was strangely overlooked by myself? I blame old age and being easily distracted😁

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts