2016 Santa Fe Blue Drive Premium

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
In a previous post,I explained I was waiting for pension money and then look for a car.
Well.....moneys here(not as much as I would have liked) but time to treat myself.
After much internet searching and the advice from members here,ive decided on the Santa Fe.
Im going to have a look at one this weekend.
66 plate blue drive premium auto with 36k miles and 7 seats.
Is there anything I should be looking for with the Santa Fe.Gearbox,Electrics etc...
Any help much appreciated.

I

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
We collected exactly the same model/year a couple of months ago. Similar mileage too. No problems with car, nice drive. Towed a couple of times and it tows great with 1600kg caravan. We had to get a towbar fitted and went for Westfalia detachable, as I had on our previous car. The towball was a little close to the bumper but after the bumper was repositioned the gap improved. It's still slightly tight getting the Alko hitch on and off with the stabiliser handle up, due to the shape of the bumper, but it's doable. There is plenty of room for it to articulate.

For info the gap for Alko hitch should be 68mm, we had 62mm but improved to 70mm after repositioning the bumper

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Mikey.
Yes,I did see your posting regarding the towbar.
If this car is the right one for me that im going to look at,it doesnt have a towbar so when I have one fitted,I will have to make sure its the correct one.
Just wondering if a swan neck type may be better?

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
It is the right towbar for the car. The towbar replaces the bumper bar so it's just the bumper cover that was close. There are two arms coming down from the towbar which support the bumper cover. These needed bending forward slighty which pulled the bumper cover forward and away from the towball, nothing too drastic. I'm quite happy with it now. Apparantly Towtrust bars give more clearance.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the Witter Towbar fitted from new with a bolt on Alko towball, on a 2014 SF premium. The Towball center was to far back from the rear axle center point, I eventually bought a tow trust tow bar which brought the tow ball to the correct distance from the rear axle center point and gives plenty of clearence to the rear bumper. The two fuses for the towing circuits are rated to 15 amps and are under the bonnet in the right hand fuse box.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes 197 BHP and with 1645 kg on the towbar and car full its a great tow car. Also the braking is very good as well. Even with a light car and towing 1645 the SF works well.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Well........ive done it :cheer:
Went down for a test drive this afternoon and it was love at first sight.
Dealer allowed me an hour to have a good look over it before we went for a drive.
Over the moon with it.
Its a sort of plum colour with black leather interior.
Will book it in next week for the towbar(I will convey to them the concerns ive read
on here so hopefully all will be well).
Looks like im going to have to sit down and study the handbook to learn all the controls etc..

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Well done. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
If you need any tips just ask. Even managed to fit a dash cam in mine.

Mike

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Mikey.
I do have a Nextbase dashcam(with the wire going up the windscreen.lol)
Maybe one day I may get a "hardwired" one.
Still a couple of things to get for the caravan first though.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I have a Nextbase too. Hard wire kit, £20 from Halfords, is really easy to fit. Did mine in, I think, about 45 mins. and that was thinking about it as I went along.

I see you're in Bristol, like me, so if you need a hand with fitting I'll be more than happy to assist.

Mike

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Well......today is my 4th day with the Santa fe and I absolutely love it.
Every night after work ive got the manual out trying to understand what all those buttons are..lol
Yesterday I had a detachable towbar and dedicated electrics fitted for £669.
To be honest,I think this was a little expensive but ive been using this company for years and they are only a 5 minute walk from my work in Aztec West(very handy not having to take time off work).
I do have to contact the dealer tomorrow(I forgot to check during the handover),theres no sign of the radio code or key number,but im sure this will be sorted.
I even had the new V5 delivered this morning after only 4 days so can now go ahead and put my cherished number plates on(have it on retention certificate at the moment)
Thank you once again for all your advice

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have just remembered, although yours is a 2016, model, on mine a 2014 model SF. If I go into the main screen setting whilst using the digital radio, the whole of the infotainment screen freezes, and the only way to fix it is to switch off the car, lock it and leave it for 10 minutes then unlock the car and start up again.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thats good to know.
I havent actually been into the main settings yet but will bear it in mind.
Thank you.
I only just found out that to operate the heated mirrors,you have to operate the heated rear windscreen.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Have you used the auto hold yet, assuming you have it? It's good that you can release the brake pedal every time you come to a stop but auto hold keeps the brake lights on, dazzling the driver behind, which the electronic parking brake doesn't. A bit of a design error in my opinion.

Mike

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I agree Mikey
Thats always been one of my pet hates.Waiting behind another car and they appear to keep their foot on the foot brake dazzling me.
Of course,having used the auto hold myself,I now realise that they may be doing the same.
I must admit,after having (,what I would call "normal cars"),when I start the car to go anywhere,I feel like an airline pilot doing the pre flight checks.
1.Switch off autostart.(I dont like it)
2.Switch on auto hold
3.Release handbrake
4.Turn down the fan (which seems to be programmed to begin halfway up the scale when engine is started)
Apart from that........I love the car....lol

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
No 3 & 4 are new to me. Can't release parking brake manually, it comes off automatically as you pull away. The fan comes back on at the same level it was on when car switched off. The radio volume annoys my wife, as she doesn't like a radio on when driving. It can be set to come on at any volume but it only goes down to 1. Can't seem to switch it off without turning everything off including sat nav.

One other niggle is the brightness of the reversing camera screen at night. I find it quite dazzling when looking in the door mirrors trying to reverse, again can't seem to switch it off.

I agree with stop/start, I hate it. Every time we get in the car my wife says don't forget your button.

Mike

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
After all all the niggles, it's still a lovely tow car, all the best bits of a Land Rover Discovery, at 2/3 the price.
The only thing is if your Sat Nav has the voice changing system, then Do Not use Bono's voice as you will still have, Streets with no names, and , Still don't know what I am looking for. :p

Time for a happy smile. :p

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
To be honest,I havent had time yet to try out the sat nav,go to work in the dark,come home in the dark.
Maybe I will have time today to have a look.
As we are part exchanging our van,I will have the opportunity to take our Bailey Pursuit to the dealer this Saturday and collect our Bailey Olympus the week after.(They are swopping the mover,/battery/gas over for me).
Although the 2 vans will be empty,I should get a feel for the Santa fe towing experience.
Will make sure I take some ballast to try and get the noseweight "close enough".
I do like the little storage area under the boot though.I ve got towing mirrors in there,tin of brake cleaner for the towball/hitch,torch,couple of rags,air compressor, etc...very handy.
Ive only had it a week now but I love it to bits.

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2014 model SF Premium, and it tows our Conqueror 645 with ease. With the OP's caravan, I would think it'll be the 'would hardly know it's there' syndrome. Enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts