2017 Coachman Vision 545 review

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Having had a an older version of the 545/4, a VIP , 2010, we found the view through the caravan to give a nice open feeling. The swing door on the shower in our was flimsy, and I having seen the 2016 version it was even worse. As for having four people in the caravan, (we have done that for a few days) but where would you put clothing if it was longer than a couple of days. Saying this size of caravan is for 4 people is daft. But yet again that is my opinion. I don't like theses middle bathroom vans, I had an Sterling Eccles Jewel, with side mid bathroom and it was great unless you were the person cooking whilst the other half was passing by you. .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure the criticism is fair. It is a bit short for four adults but that is true of all caravans that size. It would be workable for short periods though.
I can see the centre bathroom might take up some space but if there are four of you then it is preferable to our rear one which would make life very difficult using it with four adults. Ours works with small children up front but that is all.
I would be happy with the Coachman myself but they do seem to be a bit heavy which tipped us towards our Lunar.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Although the layout wouldn't suit us it is good to see the trend from manufacturers to put the previously top end layouts lower down their portfolio. I would question the need to go further up the ranges now these layouts as much more widely available. It's not very often I compliment the caravan industry but in this case I do.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Coming to the end of the first month of our first trip in 2017 545 I am very pleased with the construction and comfort.
There is a lack of storage space compared to previous vans with lockers across the front windows ( now becoming a feature from the past) and the lighting in table area needs some improvement. That aside and forgetting the dreadful Alko spare wheel carrier which really is terrible in this day and age - bet the designer never used one in anger on a wet motorway at night - it all seems pretty well thought out and put together.
Getting the nose weight right was different. Problem is the reverse of all previous vans, getting it heavy enough rather than light enough.
We'll see how it does on a 4 month tour next Spring - hence the comment about storage space.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ray, it surprising, out 2013 , 560 /4 and our 2010 545/4 both had to have a lot of weight in the nose, which was fine for a couple of gas bottles. Take care and have a good time touring, is it UK or Europe again. .
Hutxh.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Home safely after about 40 comfortable nights in France. Generally very happy with the caravan with only a few small niggles..

Needs more light over fixed table at front - say under the shelf - but this may be an issue only to those of us with restricted vision.
Needs more light just inside door - you have to go to the front of the van to put on the main lights.
Window blinds are lvery good but if pitched under bright site light you get light through the end angles of the blinds - enough to be a nuisance if you like a dark bedroom. I think this can be easily remedied by hanging some fabric down from the fixed 'curtain'. Also light ingress from around the rim of the bedroom Heki.
Pump is very quiet - good, but the light on the pump switch is just showing it's powered not that it's running and it's quite easy to not notice if the Aquaroll gets low etc. Would prefer a proper 'running' light.
Front seat cushions could be a bit firmer.
Quite complicated to get the radio to turn off completely - the standby mode leaves all the buttons illuminated. But the sound quality is excellent.
Front locker lid hits top of jockey wheel in some configurations, but again the layout is otherwise very practical.

So far, that's the sum total of my reservations - by far the shortest and less serious list I've had for any previous caravan.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ray ,
If you keep your finger on the source button on your radio it should turn it off and all the illumination should go off to.

Craig

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ray, good report, our Heki light is the same, we fitted an led strip light at the front behind the trim with a feed from the power socket at floor level. Removed the alko wheel carrier as I think Craig did and just sit the wheel under the bed. The roof blind seem to have the silvering fade, might put a posting about this.
Thanks for the feedback.Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Craig, that's what I thought too - sometimes it does sometimes it doesn/t Book not very clear. Not a big problem.
I guess it's wired in to the circuit which serves the alarm etc. and not controlled by the master switch. If it gets too annoying I'll trace the feed and fit a switch

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ray ,
Or you could just unclip the front and take the front off then put it back on when you wish to use it then it would not come on?
Craig

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good idea Craig but risky for us as I might never find it again. Further experimentation seems to show that complete switch-off depends on what was on immediately before. E.G it switches of easily if I've had a USB stick plugged in for my choice of music.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Had our Vision for about a month,2018 Van is ok on the whole just niggly things wrong like very noisy pump, and a piece of trim has just come off from around front lamp surround. Bed frame kept coming loose but sorted that with nyloc nuts. Yes the front locker box does hit the jockey wheel on occasion and the light switches are no where near the door. We have found the larger heki roof light have blown down from fully up when a gust of wind catches them as there are no stay locks like the older ones or the mini hekis. Our main problem is with the main dealer who does not seem interested in doing warranty work and do not return any calls.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
andy_5039834 said:
Hi Had our Vision for about a month,2018 Van is ok on the whole just niggly things wrong like very noisy pump, and a piece of trim has just come off from around front lamp surround. Bed frame kept coming loose but sorted that with nyloc nuts. Yes the front locker box does hit the jockey wheel on occasion and the light switches are no where near the door. We have found the larger heki roof light have blown down from fully up when a gust of wind catches them as there are no stay locks like the older ones or the mini hekis. Our main problem is with the main dealer who does not seem interested in doing warranty work and do not return any calls.

Sorry to hear of your problems with the new Coachman. It must be disappointing that the dealer isn’t communicative as Coachman seem to be sold as a cut above other caravans, and one would expect their dealers to go that bit further to maintain customer satisfaction. Nuts coming loose is inexcusable. Surely they’ve heard of loctite, spring washers or as you have done nyloc. The Heki problem sounds a backwards step and one that could incur unecessary expense should a slight gust lead to damage and replacement. Keep persevering with dealer and don’t forget your rights under CRA 2015. Interested to know your outcome.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your problems. You are not alone with a front locker that can hit the jockey wheel, Lunar also have that problem. It is a design fault and I am afraid you just have to live with it.
Not sure about the pump, outside pumps should not be noisy and if this one is then there might be a problem with it, inside ones are noisy and I am afraid there is nothing you can do. We had this with an Avondale and one service engineer said many people asked him, but things like carpet under it and the like never worked. Basically it only runs for very short periods and this should not be a problem for most people. It does have the advantage of being theft proof, we have had an outside one stolen so I would prefer that set up.
Not heard of the problem with the Heki, it sounds like a design fault which the dealer will not be able to sort, but someone else may know more about this. It might be worth having a look at a showroom model to see if yours has something missing.
The light switch problem was highlighted in the magazines test of a Vision. I do wonder if like us you have a switch on the control panel that allows you to switch some lights on or off when you enter. We have had this feature on the last three caravans so I would be surprised if Coachman do not include it. These will usually operate on some of the roof lights and ours is labelled with a picture of a light glass facing down.
Only the trim is probably a warranty issue but I am not sure if this needs more work.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Raywood said:
......Not sure about the pump, outside pumps should not be noisy and if this one is then there might be a problem with it, inside ones are noisy and I am afraid there is nothing you can do. We had this with an Avondale and one service engineer said many people asked him, but things like carpet under it and the like never worked. Basically it only runs for very short periods and this should not be a problem for most people......

Also sorry to hear off your problems with your van , If its any consolation our pump is also noisy, we've had ours back twice now (when it's been in for other things) and twice they have cushioned the noise by putting rubber grommets underneath but they work their way out in transit ! But we've learnt to live with that now as someone say's its only on for a few seconds at a time.
Good luck .

Craig

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts