2018 Vans

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Why are there so many new vans with white kitchen cupboards throughout? Is there a problem with a wood finish? Just really don't like them. :(

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Who knows?! Maybe manufacturers think white increases the sense of space? Or they use a different finish to the overhead lockers in the lounge to give each area a separate feel?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have wondered this myself. It seems to have crept in over the last couple of years. I did think of this as something in the base models but they seem to have added a bit of gloss and stuck them everywhere.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I would want a side bed in a twin axle and I can see why they no longer make them as I doubt they would sell enough to justify building one. Being able to get out of the bed both sides means no climbing over your partner to go to the toilet and that must be the clincher for most people.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Whats the difference between a twin and a single axle as the later they do a side bed? I like the side bed and yes there is the inconvenience of climbing over, but no layout is perfect its always a compromise.A couple of things with the "in" van layouts at the moment. We put a deposit down this year on a transverse bed but a second look we found because the bed frame is smaller and they position the onboard tank in the middle we couldnt actually fit our 2 chairs under the bed, so where do you store them? The van was cancelled deposit lost, the centre washroom one have bigger bed base but the shower is over the wheelarch and tight to carry stuff through to store under the bed . We dont carry alot but what we do is awkward to do so.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day we have to compromise to some extent on any caravan. The side bed now seems to be confined to smaller models where it can be squeezed into a shorter body. I think you might be in a small minority in wanting the side bed on a twin axle as this is rapidly going out of fashion.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
At the end of the day we have to compromise to some extent on any caravan. The side bed now seems to be confined to smaller models where it can be squeezed into a shorter body. I think you might be in a small minority in wanting the side bed on a twin axle as this is rapidly going out of fashion.
Compromise yes but too much of a compromise, not a big deal though just means that its not worth forking out £16k to change for something that is a big compromise.
Not sure of the minority as obviously still a sort after layout , had dealers offering a buy it deal at the show this year.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:

I'm in that minority too. Having tried the alternatives at Lawns today we would stick to our current layout with side bed on the twin axle.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dont need a 2018 van at the moment, had mine serviced today 2010 model and for the 2nd year running
NO DAMP :) :) Every thing else fine, so happy bunny me :kiss:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Dont need a 2018 van at the moment, had mine serviced today 2010 model and for the 2nd year running
NO DAMP :) :) Every thing else fine, so happy bunny me :kiss:

Three years old and 40% damp! It does seem clear that the engineer servicing the caravan missed it as we found marks on the roof panel about two months later so not happy with him.
I must say that Lunar were very quick authorising the work although it will not be done until October when the dealer is quiet and I can live without it for a bit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Why are there so many new vans with white kitchen cupboards throughout? Is there a problem with a wood finish? Just really don't like them. :(

It's probably cheaper the wood grain effect, but their may also be s perceived style element as well

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Martin24 said:

When we were looking at changing the MH to a caravan in 2014, one of the most important things was a non wood look to the furniture and fixtures, we didn't want reminding of the days in the 1960's when last there was a caravan in the family. Too many memories of Fablon stuck to house kitchen doors.

That's why we chose the Continental 570 over the Elegance 570, same caravan, different furniture colours. The Elegance looked dated and reminiscent of the 1960's and just about every other caravan on the new market at that time.

The overhead lockers in the lounge and bedroom are similar to finish to the then tow car glovebox and trim, with highlight rails like the trim in the car. The kitchen upper doors are white, but with black appliances and drawer fronts below. The worktop is white. The bedroom wardrobe door and washroom door are a flat panel non grain effect foiled product. This gives 3 separate areas and is light and bright year round. The wood effect in the Elegance just seems dark and dingy.

We also went for the optional part leather seating in a cream colour with light brown fabric, that is also the headboard trim in the bedroom. Curtains are a contrasting colour that adds to the effect.

Later years have seen a much darker leather and fabric, which looks tacky, and gloomy.

We call our caravan several things depending on where we are pitched. Our city apartment when at Baltic Wharf, Bristol, our country house when at Longleat, Chatsworth, or Bladon Chains; our country cottage when on a CL. The interior colour scheme enhances our trips and gives a feel of modernity. Just wish it had been assembled instead of thrown together, that has taken a lot of the enjoyment off.

Our kitchen at home is solid wood with cream corian worktops and splash backs, and black granite window ledges, serving hatch ledge and upstand behind the corner sink. Black glass doors on microwave cupboard and hatch, oven doors.

Dining room is steel and glass table and cream leather and metal chairs.

Lounge is black and red and wood.

Bedroom is unique with galleried ceiling in blue, cream and wood.

Maybe the house led the caravan, or the caravan met our familiar taste.

Ones man's meat, another's poison??

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Perfectly true as we prefer the wood finish and could never live with the Continental but I suppose that is why Swift make the two versions, although for them to cater for all of us they would probably need fourty versions or more! If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring old world.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
2018. Another failure :evil:
All I ever wanted is a leak proof caravan . Wood? White? Chromium? Get a grip.
The quality and trouble free caravanning is more important to us.
So . Today no timber in the structure. BUT. A leak is a leak. Leak free first please colour . Not an issue B)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Dustydog said:
2018. Another failure :evil:
All I ever wanted is a leak proof caravan . Wood? White? Chromium? Get a grip.
The quality and trouble free caravanning is more important to us.
So . Today no timber in the structure. BUT. A leak is a leak. Leak free first please colour . Not an issue B)

Leak free would be the priority but you do need the caravan to suit your needs.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Currently we have the buccaneers,(2016 and 2107)(why we have 2 is a long story,you can ask but it is long).1 has the wood kitchen doors and the other has beige.not sure what you call them.and we do prefer the cruiser with wood. obviuosly they are both 2450mm wide but a side bed for us in most cases is a nono.as with most side(think they called french style).the bathroom has the shower over/in with the toilet.This is a pet hate of mine having to wipe down all the toilet area after having a shower.must admit not that often as we mostly use the site ones where possible.
we have this week been to see the new 2018 and they have the white doors in the kitchen amongst alot of other cheapened up things.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My pet hate for the shower is the drain hole is at the side, so unless the caravan is perfectly level which moist pitches are not you can end up with water left in the tray after a shower. A drain in the middle would solve that but I cannot remember seeing one there in any make. We do at least have a cubicle though so we do not need to dry the toilet.

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
My pet hate for the shower is the drain hole is at the side, so unless the caravan is perfectly level which moist pitches are not you can end up with water left in the tray after a shower. A drain in the middle would solve that but I cannot remember seeing one there in any make. We do at least have a cubicle though so we do not need to dry the toilet.

Handy that my Hymer has two shower drain holes, front left and rear right, now whichever way we are slightly out of level the water will clear. We purchased our 2017 Hymer 580 Gl last July, the new 2018 models though more expensive are exactly the same !( I think may not be bothered about fads but just carry on making what works )
Happy caravanning

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
LeicesterLad said:
Raywood said:

Handy that my Hymer has two shower drain holes, front left and rear right, now whichever way we are slightly out of level the water will clear. We purchased our 2017 Hymer 580 Gl last July, the new 2018 models though more expensive are exactly the same !( I think may not be bothered about fads but just carry on making what works )
Happy caravanning
Yes ,why change it when it works.i know people like a change.but not for the worst...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
LeicesterLad said:
Raywood said:

Happy caravanning

Cannot remember the brand, but we came across a UK built caravan caravan which had two drain holes, one in front and the other at the rear of the shower tray, however both were on the offside of the caravan????

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts