2019 swift challenger - battery warning 15.4v

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi all
When powering on my swift caravan the command display reads; BATTERY WARNING 15.4V then shuts off display.
I have changed the solar power regulator and changed the on board Sargent battery charger .
when I use the charger after a while it shuts off the 12v system
If I leave the charger switched off it seems ok .
Has anyone had this issue?
Thanks for any information

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello 21saf, welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar the details of the Swift Command system, but it's clear you do have a fault, but it needs to be checked to establish where the fault actually is.

From your description, I wonder if your battery has been overcharged and damaged by the solar system. And that is why it's reaching 15.4V. You should check the battery voltage with a good multimeter to see if it really is at 15.4V, or whether it's the Swift system over reading the actual voltage.

I do know that some solar charge regulators do not fully control the battery charge and can exceed a sustained safe maximum charge voltage.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. As the Prof says, there is definitely a fault. But you have replaced the charging systems which would have been expensive. But perhaps your command system is reading the voltage wrongly.

My regulator was, to my thinking, putting too high a voltage in, 14.7 at times. Then my battery exploded causing damage to the caravan. I replaced the regulator (£10 from Hong Kong), for an expensive high end new one. It still goes to 14.7. So I am hoping it is the battery that was faulty.

So, as the prof says, easy first thing to do is check the voltage directly at the battery. If that is normal then it looks like a fault in the command module.

See:

John

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. As the Prof says, there is definitely a fault. But you have replaced the charging systems which would have been expensive. But perhaps your command system is reading the voltage wrongly.

My regulator was, to my thinking, putting too high a voltage in, 14.7 at times. Then my battery exploded causing damage to the caravan. I replaced the regulator (£10 from Hong Kong), for an expensive high end new one. It still goes to 14.7. So I am hoping it is the battery that was faulty.

So, as the prof says, easy first thing to do is check the voltage directly at the battery. If that is normal then it looks like a fault in the command module.

John
14.8 volts is a normal charging voltage for 12v lead acid batteries - but it's important not to stay that high once charged.

Reactions: xtrailman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
14.8 volts is a normal charging voltage for 12v lead acid batteries - but it's important not to stay that high once charged.

My regulator is a Epever AN, set up for the right battery, but every time I go to the van which is in storage, it will tell me, both on the regulator and on the control panel, that it’s 14.7. It should be cycling through different modes, but. I have no way of knowing that.

John

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My regulator is a Epever AN, set up for the right battery, but every time I go to the van which is in storage, it will tell me, both on the regulator and on the control panel, that it’s 14.7. It should be cycling through different modes, but. I have no way of knowing that.

John
My charger in the van is supposed to be a "smart" charger, as standard, but if I look at the voltmeter, it only wver states 13.7 volts. I never see it cycle through the higher voltages.

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi and thanks for your comments
So after writing my post earlier today
Even now with the battery charger switched off! the swift command display beeped and showed battery warning 15.4v and then the12v system shut down, with the charger on or off it is still having the same issue.
After reading the comments received today I’ll be fitting a new battery next weekend when back to the caravan, I’ll post any new developments
thanks for all your comments

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi and thanks for your comments
So after writing my post earlier today
Even now with the battery charger switched off! the swift command display beeped and showed battery warning 15.4v and then the12v system shut down, with the charger on or off it is still having the same issue.
After reading the comments received today I’ll be fitting a new battery next weekend when back to the caravan, I’ll post any new developments
thanks for all your comments
It might be a safe idea, to remove the battery and leave it away from your caravan, just in case of a thermal runaway. Never heard of them on Caravans, but we used tto have them at work on aircraft.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My charger in the van is supposed to be a "smart" charger, as standard, but if I look at the voltmeter, it only wver states 13.7 volts. I never see it cycle through the higher voltages.

I think my charger is similar. My other post of 14.7 was referring to the solar regulator.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think it's premature to assume the battery is faulty. It's important to establish if the reading your getting from the command system is correct or not. In fact you should also check the solar power charger to see if that is putting out too much voltage.

By just changing the battery, all you are doing is treating the symptom, meaning the cause is still there and it will probably do the same to the new (expensive) battery.

As with all technical matters, if you your not confident with the system then you should seek professional help.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Charger on a swift is a smart type max output should be around 14.4v dropping to 13.8volts.

I've never seen a voltage over 15v and I check my battery every day using the swift app.

Solar is usually around 13v on my caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts