2019 VIP460/Truma Solar panel overcharging?

Aug 25, 2006
www.flickr.com
Has anyone noticed the control panel on a VIP 2019 range with a Truma Solar panel indicating a high Battery charge level.
During a sunny day my 460 2019 indicates 15V which is very high? But when the fuse is removed from the regulator the battery voltage drops to 13.2v. measured at the battery? and replicated on the control panel.
What does your control panel show on a sunny day?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Peter,

I am not familiar with the Truma solar system so I can't offer an specific insight it your problem, but there are some more general points that might apply to the Truma and other makes of systems.

The first point relates to the accuracy of the Voltage readings you have given. Sadly equipment gauges fitted to caravans are often far from accurate, and I have seen some gauges that are widely out compared to my calibrated measurement equipment. Especially analogue gauges were often over 1V out and current gauges were virtually useless.

Even more digital gauges cant be entirely trusted, some of the cheapest designs don't even quote an accuracy, and those that do can be as wide as +/-5% +/-5 least significant digits I do not know the quoted accuracy of the Truma Unit, nor do they quote it on their web site.

What this means is when you tell us the battery voltage might show as 15V it may not actually be that much, or it cold be more. Only a calibrated instrument can accurately tell you.

Is it actually that important? Well The chemicals and materials in batteries are quite specific, and that means they do need reasonably tightly controlled charging conditions if the life and performance is to be maintained.

I have found this web page about batteries which seems to offer quite a lot of information in a reactively easy form to take in. It is American, and I'm not claiming its 100% accurate, but in my opinion it is usefully informative:-

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery
If the maximum battery charge voltage is 15V (When measured accurately) then it does seem too much compared to the web pages suggestion of a peak voltage charge of (2.45V x 6 cells) 14.7V. But that could be well within the degree of measurement error of the Truma system.

I suggest you use a Digital Multimeter (DMM) to check the voltages at the battery. Most DMM's will be better than +/-1% accurate, and that should give you greater confidence in the readings.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have not got your set up but if the reading drops to 13.2 when the fuse is removed it sounds like the charger might be the problem as the screen will be measuring the input. To me the correct reading once the fuse is removed would show the reading is probably correct but I would have a word with the dealer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts