2020 Santa Fe Premium SE And Using A Tag With Tolls In Europe

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
We changed the car in March and, although we have had two Santa Fes before this one is different in one specific respect that concerns me.
I've asked at the garage but can't get a definitive answer so hoping someone here will have had first hand experience.

All previous cars have had an area of windscreen around the rear view mirror that is covered with black/clear spots. (I'm sure you'll know what I mean!)
This is the place to stick your toll tag since it will allow the activating signal through unimpeded.
The new car has no such area. The windscreen has various bits and bobs such as cameras behind the mirror but they are all hidden inside a plastic housing. There is no "dotted" area at all on the windscreen.,
Obvious question is will my tag still work?
I love the 30 klm tolls and always aim for them but I'm a tad concerned now. Of course I can quickly grab the tag and wave it out of the window if all else fails but rather hoping someone has used a new Santa Fe Premium SE and can reassure me.
Of course first use will tell me all I need to know and I will avoid the non stop gates but I would love to know what to expect.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But if a problem in other makes too which have advanced driver aids. This Tesla story might show options, one of which is wave it through open sun roof or fit to nosecone 😂

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
You'd be better asking on the Santa Fe forum http://www.hyundaiownersclub.co.uk/forum_smf/
Already done but so far no response.
...or Tag supplier?
Mmmmmm Not so sure APRR will know the characteristics of every make model and year of vehicle using their roads.
But if a problem in other makes too which have advanced driver aids. This Tesla story might show options, one of which is wave it through open sun roof or fit to nosecone 😂

Yes If the worse comes to the worse (and providing its not raining) I can wave out of the sunroof or side window. As I said "Of course I can quickly grab the tag and wave it out of the window if all else fails". But in all honesty Clive I'm sort of hoping it doesn't come down to this.

I'm told a Volvo v90 has a similar windscreen arrangement with no "dotted" area but the tag works if placed close to the rear view mirror. I'll try that if I hear nothing directly from a Fanta Fe owner.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Hyundai Response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Hyundai Motor UK in respect of your vehicle.

Our Technical Department have confirmed that as long as the tag is fitted in line with the rear view mirror, to either the right or the left of the camera sensor unit, and out of the tinted top section of the glass, then this will cause no problems with the tags usage.

I hope this helps.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Aimee

Hyundai Motor UK Customer Contact Centre

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
John here is emovis, the new Sanef tolling name. Website. They state if you don't have the dotted area, then place it as Hyundai. State. Every time I go over, and use the toll gate I use the "slow" lane first to ensure it works.

Screenshot_2020-07-18-19-23-48.png

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
John here is emovis, the new Sanef tolling name. Website. They state if you don't have the dotted area, then place it as Hyundai. State. Every time I go over, and use the toll gate I use the "slow" lane first to ensure it works.

View attachment 551

Thanks Hutch. I will be doing as you do - a "slow" lane for first toll. Like you I always have taken the "safe" route especially when last tag had been in use for 6 years! Current one is only 3 years old so fingers crossed.

Can you imagine lined up for a drive through with the usual line of lorries and the barrier stays down! Nightmare! Sudden stop from 30 kph and praying the HGV behind stops too!

Oh! And not to mention grabbing the tag from the windscreen and hastily getting out of the car and running back to wave it at the camera - smiling sweetly at the HGV drivers. Mmmmmm ...............!!!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The only time you may have an issue with signals and the windscreen is if the screen has a heat-reflective coating as some top range vehicles do.
Look at the windscreen from outside at all angles but preferably with the vehicle facing the sun and you wearing polarised sunglasses. If the glass shows colours - specifically purple - then the glass has a heat coating which is metallic and very good at blocking radio signals (as anyone who has tried to use a satnav with such a screen.)
However where it eventually sits to make it work will be a matter of trial and error methinks.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just recieved two new clips to help a mate out who is going to France next month. He can use my Tag and then when I get the bill tell him how much. Easy peasy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts