4 weeks of touring. where in uk would you go, what sites and...

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
thought i would get your imaginations going on this one.

just curious as to where you would go?, why, for how long?.

name the sites you would stay at and why that site .

what area of the country would you go?.

what activities you would do?.

what places would you visit?.

would you just tour from site to site and sit and chill in your van and awning enjoying a bottle and a bbq or two.

love to hear you stories and dreams

jo-anne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Two weeks in Dorset on a quiet site near to Poole - eg Pear Tree Farm at Sandford. Lovely quiet site, not even mobile phone signal there. Very central for touring Dorset. Second fortnight at Widend Touring Site, Marldon near Paignton Again a nice quiet site and central for touring Devon.

Why these two ares? Both sites are quiet and relaxing, central for touring two beautiful counties of England and the weather is generally very good down south. As it is generally my wife and myself we are not ones for the beach or hi-de-hi sites but the more quiet relaxing atmosphere, although we like to hear children at play and enjoying themselves. Both sites are family run and orientated to family holiday makers.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Trewethett Farm

Freshwater East

Incleboro Fields

North Ledaig

A week at each, lots of scenery, walking,relaxation, N.T properties.

Lots of beer, wine, barbies, cider.

No on-site bars, swimming pools, mini-marts,`entertainment`(?).

Utter bliss.

Jan 30, 2007
Visit site
Can't name sites but would love to do Scotland in all the nooks and cranies, take the ferries to some of the Islands, small basic facility sites, admiring the scenery and the ever changing weather, see the wildlife both on land and in the sea. Of course BBQ, Wine and Beer and hopefully meet some new friends and swop ideas as to the next desiniation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Joanne

I would start at Garlieston CC site for the weekend.

Then would go round scotland and do a succession of Cl's or CS's. Don't know exactly where. Dont care!

Simple rules.

1. Two or three nights at each maximum

2. Travel no more than 100 miles between them so it can be done in a couple of hours

3. Hook up because need to charge battery if away a month

All that adds up to a cheap month!

Oh yes

Rule 4. Before I do that have a week or ten days in France to get the beer & wine to last the following month.

You wanna come??

DavidC

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne

Scotland.

4 weeks is essential. 1st two weeks you unwind ,3rd week you are totally relaxed, 4th week is absolutely fantastic!

We are down south and did this tour this year. Where possible we stick to Caravan Club sites as we know we will get 16 amp electric and all the Wardens do keep the sites in first class order.

2 nights Troutbeck Lake district, Beautiful countryside

2 nights Slatebarns Edinburgh.A wonderful city to explore on an open top bus.

5 nights Grantown on Spey. Superb site, plenty of lovely walks and of course the Cairngorms to explore.

5 nights Dunnet Bay near John O'Groats. Pitched near the golden sand beach. Wonderful.

3 nights Grummore Altnahara.Loch side pitch scenery to die for. No toilet block , back to the wilds but then that's why we have an onboard bathroom.

3 nights Scourie.Perched on a cliff edge. Sunsets like you have never seen.

5 nights Ardmair Point Ullapool. Loads to do , Boat trips and tour the Summer Isles.

2 nights Morvich. What an enchanting place with Isle of Skye nearby.

3 nights Invercoe Glencoe. Pitched loch side. Beautiful.

Time to go home.

Next year we will go for longer!

The real cost to us was diesel and then site fees. Food and bar bill not much more although we eat out more whilst away.

Activities is personal! We love walking , exploring and meeting fellow tuggers.

Next time we will stay at least a week at our chosen sites although in fairness hitching and pitching is no problem to us. I use the porch awning for up to 4 night stays and the Issy for anything longer. It helps keep the mucky Spaniels dry.

And yes we do indulge in plenty of vino.

So what is your dream in your silver streak?

Cheers

Alan

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
2 years ago we took 3 weeks and toured in Scotland.

1.Bunree

2.Morvich

3.Kinlochewe

4.Culloden

5.Blair Castle caravan site.

Another tour started at 1. Newtonmore

2.Brora

3.Altnaharra

4.Ardmair Point,Ullapool

5.Glen Garry ( just outside Fort Augustus )

6.Bunree

If the weather is good, there is nothing to beat the scenery and the peace & quiet all around.Have another tour lined up for next year,with fingers crossed that the weather might be better than this year's offering.

Maureen

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I would have to go with the majority and say Scotland, for the rest and relaxation.

We usually do a three week tour, in June, and stay at:

Blair Drummond

Altnaharra

Inverewe or Kinlochewe

Morvich

Glen Coe

This year it was Barns Ness on the East Coast for a couple of nights on the way home, to visit relatives.

Next year, can't wait, we are going for four weeks! I'm already mentally planning the ittinary!! :O)

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Reading this thread it looks like caravanners from down South want to come up North. We like to go down South for a change, I think we may be missing a trick here !!!.

Instead of towing 500/600 miles X 2 We need to swop caravans OK you would have to find like for like, but I don't think that would be to difficult.

Frank

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Reading this thread it looks like caravanners from down South want to come up North. We like to go down South for a change, I think we may be missing a trick here !!!.

Instead of towing 500/600 miles X 2 We need to swop caravans OK you would have to find like for like, but I don't think that would be to difficult.

Frank
Hi Frank, Why come South when you live in such a lovely part of the world!

People do forget just how big Scotland is. I reckon you could spend months there and not do it justice.

As a sassenach I do travel to Devon & Cornwall a lot but I am afraid Scotland is my favourite. Caravan swap?? mmm? We carry so much stuff for us and the dogs I don't think a swap would for us. That aside, with a new caravan I think we prefer not to lend it out. Good idea though and no doubt someone will take you up .

Cheers

Alan

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Where? Scotland.

Why? If you've ever caravanned there, you don't have to ask why.

How long? A month (at least) in June.

Sites? Morvich, Ardmair Point.

Area? The Highlands.

Activities? Walking, climbing, totalling chilling out.

Wester Ross, Assynt.

Sites? Morvich. Ardmair Point.

Are you writing a book jo-anne?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

just 2 points to mention first with all the recomendations for ardmire point in ullapoo, can I say it must have improved a great deal in the last ten years since we were there??, as it was used as a base for scuba divers (having its own slipway into loch broom)dozens of them on the site was allways noisey and busy divers comming and going at all times of day and night on dives and the showers were covered and sand and seaweed (from washing wet suits ect)and the midges??!!!**cor, got bit to death.

the site was right on the headland so caught a constant gale force 8 (there were more rocks on the site than on the beach (for holding the awnings down)and the smell of rotting seaweed in june got up your nose a bit .(sorry no offence meant just my observations of the time).

secondly where would I go for a month if I was lucky enough to get that long off work thats easy? to a small site (10 vans max)that we have found in central cornwall

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

Ardmair Point has improved dramatically. First visit was 1988 and then last two years.

I've always avoided the midge season. Facilities are good and yes ocassionally can be windy but then look at the view. No scubas when I've been there.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
We sold our house in June last year and our new one wasn't ready, so we went to the following cc sites:

Pembrey Country Park 3 weeks

on the doorstep of where we used to live, and had to stay close to home as mother had kidney removed the moved on when she was recovered to:

Dulverton 3 weeks

lovely location, great walking, heatwave, showers and toilets could do with upgrading though, but new site opened just down the road, then moved on to:

Rookesbury Park 2 weeks

been here every year as hubby loves Portsmouth and the historic dockyards etc, then moved on to:

Henley on Thames 2 weeks

fabulous place, can walk into henley, take river trips, nice pubs and lovely surrounding towns, then moved to:

Cirencester Park 10 days

been here several time, lovely place, loads of cherries on the trees, bought a cherry pipper and made several cherry pies, went swimming in the open air municipal pool, walked through the Bathurst Estate everyday to town, lovely shops, pubs etc then went back to Pembrey Country Park as new house nearly ready

Pembrey Country Park 1 week then new house in Pembroke is ready...so we get our furniture delivered on Saturday, on Monday we are back in ...

Pembrey Country Park for another 3 weeks...

daughter had nasty motorbike accident, touch and go, ruptured spleen, ruptured kidney, broken back in 3 places.....

is now thankfully partially recovered

Off to France/Spain in a fortnight for 6 months - can't wait!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne,

Very sorry to hear you've had a bad 8 days. Trust son is now on the mend and you have survived the hospital grub.

Convalescence seems the order of the day for both of you. Why not take your silver streak on an earlier maiden voyage than planned? Good to have you back.

Cheers

Alan

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
alan, i didnt eat hospital food they dont feed the parents so its microwave food for 8 days mind you it was better than the shi*e they dished up. yes hes on the mend thanks for asking.

as for the silver streak i wish we had it now but it will be between nov and jan im afraid.

take care

jo-anne

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts