40litre on board tanks

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
I have just taken delivery of my new caravan which has a 40 litre on board tank. Can somebody explain what is the advantage of having this tank. I filled mine up thinking that the pump would be cut off when the guage read full, it never it just continued filling till it over flowed. This was not explained during handover. It wasn't till i read the manual that i realised that i had to stop the pump manually and adjust the valves to use with the taps. Can't see the point when an aquaroll does exactly the same. infact I have to use the aquaroll to store water for the onboard tank to take water from. Is there another way to fill this tank without the aqauroll.

Regards

Ian

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we think its useful in winter as the tank doesnt freeze,when your packing up you can get rid of aquaroll and still have washing up water you can switch over when you use the water up having showers.The latest Baileys have an auto cutout which I would think you could retrofit Caktanks sell the float switch and RS the switch .

G

Just remember each litre of water weighs 1 kilogram and will be part of your payload. You probably have to empty the tank before moving the van.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Yes it does seem strange to fill the aquaroll then pump it into the van only to pump it out again.

I only take 1 aquaroll away with me now,when i get to site i fill the tank then refill the aqua roll so have 80lts on tap.

On some vans you can draw from both outside and onboard,but i can only pull from the inboard i also have the cutout switch ,very good idea.

Never travel with tank full and always drain down so the tank stays fresh.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been fitting onboard tanks to my own vans for the last 20 years because I like having them

I like having 40 litres in the tank(latest one 75 litres) with an aquaroll available to top up when needed (usually during a shower)I like being able to fill the aquaroll when convenient and not during a rainstorm etc

I don't like the system of levers as fitted by Bailey etc and much prefer a seperate submersible pump fitted with a pump saver switch so that it is timed to switch off when the aquaroll is almost empty

It is possible to fill the tank from a hose through the same inlet when a service pitch is available or an aquaroll can be kept full using a float valve

That's what I like/dislike but its everyone to their own preferred method

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been fitting onboard tanks to my own vans for the last 20 years because I like having them

I like having 40 litres in the tank(latest one 75 litres) with an aquaroll available to top up when needed (usually during a shower)I like being able to fill the aquaroll when convenient and not during a rainstorm etc

I don't like the system of levers as fitted by Bailey etc and much prefer a seperate submersible pump fitted with a pump saver switch so that it is timed to switch off when the aquaroll is almost empty

It is possible to fill the tank from a hose through the same inlet when a service pitch is available or an aquaroll can be kept full using a float valve

That's what I like/dislike but its everyone to their own preferred method
It was minus 7C in March and the tank was worth its weight etc

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We have an inboard tank on our Wyoming. We were away in sub zero temperatures in February and fully appreciated the benefits of the inboard tank. Also whilst on sites without toilet blocks we can both shower without me having to go out and refill the aquaroll. The tap arrangement in our Bailey works well but you do have to get on your knees to reach the taps. Motorised valves are available but have a bad reputation for failure according to my dealer.

We never travel with water in the tank.

Overall I am glad I have it .

Cheers

Alan

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If there are farm dogs or unleashed dogs on site then having an the inboard tank is a health advantage relative to an Aquaroll as I once witnessed. "The Lamp post effect".

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ian MC

Had a similar overflow problem on my Bailey Louisiana 1st time I used it last year.

On investigation I found that the large black screw stopper in the top of the tank had a rubber seal which had not been fitted correctly causing the leak.

Once I had re seated the seal I was able to let the tank fill until the pressure switched the pump off with no leaks.

The designer who planned the possition of the manual valves in the L shaped lounge of my Louisiana wants sacking. To be honest they are so difficult to use I've given up on the onboard tank.

Nov 19, 2006
Visit site
We don't shower in the van so an onboard tank is ideal. On leaving home we put in a max of 5 litres enough for a cup of tea etc en route and on arrival. Then using a 12 litre watering can I fill it up, that takes up a lot less space than an aquaroll.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with Mikey on this one. I've had on-board tanks on my Royales for years, and never used them for the reasons Mikey gives. Why pump water twice?

I did actually fill one tank, just as an experiment, to see how it affected stability. All that weight (70kilos) over the axle did help, but as the Royale is inherently very stable, I go for the extra payload.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
We always use the inboard tank and two aquarolls if not on a super pitch. Arriving on site we fill up using the connection hose if not close to a tap, as the water level drops in the tank the aquaroll pumps top up the tank automatically.

Why drive past the water if you can fill up?

Towing with water in the tank does not seem wise to me. We only carry a kettle full ready for a brew on arrival.

When we first started caravanning we found that lighting up a ring to boil the kettle pulled the gas to the fridge. Not so important with EHU's today but it became our routine.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ian

I have found that the best reason for them is if you have avery cold night the water in the tank is not as cold as in an aqua roll so if 2 of you are having a shower the water heats up quicker. After getting my new swift last year I tried towing with the tank full and would not advise it as it felt rather heavy on the noseweight.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
X11

!! so if 2 of you are having a shower !!.

Crikey X11 that must be a contortionist act, think I'll suggest it to Mrs Thorpedo, but I'm sure we wouldn't both fit in the shower. ( winking, cheeky, slightly rude, smiley thingy).

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Two warnings: never leave water in any tank. Not only is there the weight, 1kg a litre, but the free water effect is amazingly lethal. As you go round corner or slow down the water rushes to the side or forwards. Could pull the tank out of the floor! Some older members will remember the ship Herald of Free Enterprise that capsized due to a few inches of water on the car deck rushing o one side.

Second one think about the cleanliness of the pipes before drinking water from the aquaroll or tank.

May 7, 2008
Visit site
an on board water tank i was told is usefull for long journeys, like on the continent, you could leave a VERY SMALL AMOUNT in incase you pull over and wash your hands, make a cup of tea etc.. there are benefits to an aquaroll, it can be filled easier in my opinion, but unlike the tank it is one more thing to transport in and out of the caravan during transit. but if an aquaroll overflows, it won't spill underneath the bunks like an on board water tank...

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Chris

Great analogy with Herald of Free Enterprise, tragic obviously but it's a very apt way to describe the issue of carrying water.

I sailed on that H.O.F.E. to Zebrugger on the way to Yugoslavia a few months before it turned over.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts