4x4 debate

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Right then people, this is going nowhere and Lutz(I think it was Lutz) is correct that this is deferring from the purpose of this forum.

As I instigated the latest round (not intentionally I might add), then its up to me to offer to stop this.

So here's an idea for all in the debate. We agree to not argue our side in the debate on these forums in return for mutual respect of others beliefs. This will only work if all involved agree to drop the current discussions and from that time forward and agree to just post a "this is not the place" message to any new discussions.

Please do not open the debate in this thread, just a simple yes for agreement or no will do. If its no, then debate it in one of the existing threads.

I would hate the forthcoming meet to be tinted in any way by the divide in members over this subject.

Also, could those who reply please indicate if they think the mod should remove any threads and which ones. I have no real feelings on this but would be happy to see my posts gone if it will return the forum to a Caravan one.

If the overall answer is no, could this be changed if a 4x4 debate forum was available that is not part of the PC forums. I am happy to set this up and offer a strong "anti" mod rights to level the field.

My feeling is that its time to move this out of the caravan forums as more 4x4 posts appeared over the last few days than nearly any other sunject.

Feedback?

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A honourable suggestion. I would like to think that it could be done, and if the agreement is followed I believe that for a limited amount of time. It would work, the

trouble is that it only takes a small jibe, which can be interpreted as an attack, to set this debate off. We have argued and debated this subject many times and this will continue. Like trying to put out a fire, you need to remove one of the three necessary elements to start one; you can remove the source of the ignition (the attack), the oxygen (the Anti's) or the flammable substance (the pro's). The last two, probably won't go away, however by moving the ignition to another safe area (4x4 forum) you can control the blaze, maybe it will burn itself out. If the Mod can remove any posts that might be seen as inflammatory (forgive the pun) unless it is in the 4x4 forum, it might just work.

Sorry this isn't a simple yes or no but I don't think it's that simple.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A honourable suggestion. I would like to think that it could be done, and if the agreement is followed I believe that for a limited amount of time. It would work, the

trouble is that it only takes a small jibe, which can be interpreted as an attack, to set this debate off. We have argued and debated this subject many times and this will continue. Like trying to put out a fire, you need to remove one of the three necessary elements to start one; you can remove the source of the ignition (the attack), the oxygen (the Anti's) or the flammable substance (the pro's). The last two, probably won't go away, however by moving the ignition to another safe area (4x4 forum) you can control the blaze, maybe it will burn itself out. If the Mod can remove any posts that might be seen as inflammatory (forgive the pun) unless it is in the 4x4 forum, it might just work.

Don't you just hate spell checks that allow you to ignore punctuation?

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Steve,Im am in favour of having recent 4x4 postings removed as I feel they serve no purpose on this forum. The problem is ,due to the way this site is set up it is possible to have multiple ID's (one member recently quoted(I believe)the capability of up to eight).What has happened in recent months is a "new" member will post with a question such as "Im thinking of a 4x4" or "I've read the post about 4x4's" this is answered by people with a genuine want to help a fellow caravanner, but it soon turns into the 4x4 debate which if you read will always have a supply of more "new" people to take the anti stand.These members come and go ,but always seem to be there when needed, the timings of responces sometimes being minute perfect.I think a lot of the posts on this forum (what ever name its under) originate from two or maybe three people. So to sum up , yes lets clear the decks,but until the set up of this forum is improved it would not be long before those who wish to use this site to promote thier agenga fill it once again with thier "facts" and abuse.....Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Although I drive a 4x4 I am of the opinion that it is up to the individual to make their own mind up as to what their preference is regarding tow cars. I wear white socks with sandals and I have been told it is not cool to dress like this - so what? I am comfortable with socks and sandals. As I have said before live and let live. My answer is therefore a resounding YES - lets drop this nonsense and get on with constructive advice and help to our fellow (what is the female equivilent to fellow for those who like to be politically correct?) caravaners.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure that a 4x4 forum will help. Next on the list will be requests for a pro-dogs forum.

This may be closely followed by the disposable bbq forum, twin axle appreciation forum and the anti-grass filter instead of using a waste water container forum. Oh yeas silly me, and of course their opposites will need their own boards too.

I've a better idea.

Put a search into google for MUD Club or LR4x4.com and post among friends for your muddy pleasure.

You know it makes sense.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damn, no edit feature!

Meant to add that I agree that this BS should stop as it is totally counter-productive to the running of a caravanners forum.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Until the multiple ID problem is sorted I am not sure this will work. Also - with a Topic of "Towcars" - does anyone really think that the subject would NOT be discussed?

I think it wrong that some individuals should want to control the content of the Forum. Don't be such Control Freaks!

The evolution of this latest thread came out of a logical posting re an invitation to go greenlaning at the Easter PC Forum users meeting. Yes there have been different opinions posted and yes the same old people have been silly (drinking Donkey blood apparently as one of the silliest with advocating "swinging" a close second

- AND I DO NOT SEE ANYONE FROM THE THOUGHT POLICE JUMPING UP AND DOWN SAYING THAT DRINKING DONKEY BLOOD AND/OR WIFE-SWAPPING IS NOT A CARAVANNING ACTIVITY.

But then I live a shelterred life.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site

Excellent idea Lol.

It would mean that if 4x4 debates were confined to the Towcars forum, then those that are bored with the never-ending arguments could more easily avoid them.

Obviously even in the 4x4 forum we'd still expect basic standards of good manners and polite language!

Let's give it a try.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
We are going to try confining 4x4 debates to the Towcars forum. Please do not post any further messages in this thread. See explanation in Our Website / Keeing on the right track.

Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts