7 PIN Bike Rack Electrics Problems

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a bike rack which I connect to a Towtal Towbar on my motorhome. It is a 7 pin plug and am experiencing problems for the first time.Left indicator works - the right indicator doesn't. Bulbs have been tested and ok. Tail lights both working. Sometimes the tail light blinks instead of the indicator but probably because the connecting plug was put in incorrectly. I immediately thought that perhaps wiring loose or faulty but all seems fine. HOWEVER when I look at usual 7 pun wiring my connecting plug is wired completely differently ( never been changed since first purchased). For example I have 2 yellow wires into the one entry point,+ 2 white into separate entry points + 2 green into 2 entry points ( including centre entry point + 2 brown into the same entry point -- totally different to anything I have experienced or seen before. Now it did work perfectly before - any ideas ?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Got me stumped there Davie, especially since it worked well before.
You did mean the same rack, on the same vehicle? If so the WAY it's wired can't be at fault, which leaves something like a wobbly connection.
Maybe someone else can help.

Graham? Colin? Paul?

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure from the OP whether it is the plug on the bike rack or the socket on the tow bar which has the suspect cabling.
If it were me I should (if possible) be getting in touch with whoever did that cabling and ask why it was done in that way.
If that is not possible then, if it is the tow bar which has the problem, it may need an auto electrician to look at it but if it is the bike rack maybe the manufacturer has a manual describing how the wiring should be done.
Graham

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I had same problem last year with a rack which fits on the t/ball , The cable is the problem, I replaced the "Chinese" cable with standard 7 core cable, and re-wired correctly and problem solved,details of colors to pin/ lights connection found on line, with correct cable you cannot have two colors the same you had 2 yellows which proves wrong cable . colors are red,yellow,blue, black, brown , green and white (earth), you will need some connectors to replace those on old cable, to connect to lights (auto parts shop) Hope this helps. GJ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts