7 Pin electrics to 13 pin

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
New to me a Kia Sorento which has a tow bar but only a 7 pin set up.
Need to get it converted to the 13 pin.
Does any one know if it will need a dedicated wiring kit or will a universal one fit?
And Ive also read something about a Canbus?
Will get it done professionally but just want to be armed with sufficient knowledge.
Thanks in advance

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kev,
7 pin only means it’s a 12n without the other 7 pin 12 S.
for the sake of a few quid get your local tow bar man in. As I found out years ago these guys have computers that plug into the vehicle and ensure all the wiring works as it should when solo or towing. The 13 pin kit as you know is excellent

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kev,
7 pin only means it’s a 12n without the other 7 pin 12 S.
for the sake of a few quid get your local tow bar man in. As I found out years ago these guys have computers that plug into the vehicle and ensure all the wiring works as it should when solo or towing. The 13 pin kit as you know is excellent
Thanks DD, have Western Towing Attachments within walking distance, who did the shogun so will go to them but just wanted to know abit more of what to expect.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I really think there are very different canbus setups. Not all need re-programming. I am pretty sure that the availability of dedicated ‘plugin’ loom kits is both much greater and also cheaper than it was a few years ago. This makes the possibility of self installing possible for people with basic practical skills. But I agree. If in doubt get it done be an expert.

There are 5 kits available for the Sorrento depending on the year. PF Jones is an established and respected supplier.

Just click on your model and any special instructions appear. Each have easy to follow instructions for downloading.

An older model is £135 with no programming needed.

The latest is £150 Also no downloading needed.

John

Reactions: Gagakev
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks DD, have Western Towing Attachments within walking distance, who did the shogun so will go to them but just wanted to know abit more of what to expect.

If the fitter is reputable and experienced, I am sure they would tell you if they could not do the job, or I'm sure if you asked them they will tell you if any parts of the car needs reprogramming when the parts are fitted. They should be able to give you a quote with a break down of parts an labour.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kev
We are running Santa Fe but when I was looking for towbar and wiring the parts were the same for Sorrento, we bought a Hyundai/Kia wiring kit from local Hyundai dealer and the garage we use for servicing fitted it for us, as it is the dedicated kit, it was just a question of following the instructions and a couple of plug in leads into the fusebox. It took 2.5 hours for them to fit, most of this was taken up with removing internal trim and routing cabling through the car. Our car and caravan both have led lights and it all worked first time, 13 pin is the way to go.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always go for the dedicated wiring kit as modern cars are so full of computers that it’s better to reduce the potential risk of problems. The major tow bar makers like Brinks and Witter have approved installation suppliers too.

Reactions: Gagakev and DaveA1
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I always go for the dedicated wiring kit as modern cars are so full of computers that it’s better to reduce the potential risk of problems. The major tow bar makers like Brinks and Witter have approved installation suppliers too.
Our Jeep has plenty of electronics, but strangely it does not require a dedicated loom.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Dedicated kit every time. Will monitor your van lights as well.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Dedicated kit every time. Will monitor your van lights as well.

I don’t know if that is necessarily so. Some dedicated kits simply provide wires cut to length terminated with plugs and sockets which easily plug into the existing loom. While some require re programming to adjust other aspects like control systems. Mine is a dedicated system. Dealer fitted. I am pretty sure there is no light failure of vehicle or trailer. Plugging my van in disconnects the start stop and reversing sensors. Pretty sure that that is all.

John

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks every one for all your comments and advice, will book local dealer to fit a dedicated kit to eliminate any potential problems.
A few years ago I would have tackled it my self but after removing the reverse camera system from the Shogun last week I cant face removing and replacing all that trim again, fitting grommets etc etc.
Phone call in the morning it will be.
Cheers all.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS