90 Day in 180 days limit on travel in EU

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Well, unless negotiations change this (which seems unlikely) it looks as though our plans to spend a year touring Europe are up the swanny.

Disappointing, to say the least!

I wonder how UK "snowbirds" will now go on?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have read that this also applies to holiday home owners in Europe. Seems a visa will be needed to avoid the restriction, but I have no idea what might be involved in that, although we did visit relatives Australia a couple of years back and the compulsory entry visa application was successful in half an hour on the website.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, unless negotiations change this (which seems unlikely) it looks as though our plans to spend a year touring Europe are up the swanny.

Disappointing, to say the least!

I wonder how UK "snowbirds" will now go on?
The UKGOV site mentions. 90 days in any 180 day period as visa free but does not say what the arrangements will be for longer visits. There could be a EU visa which would allow widespread touring or it could get really messy and require individual country visas. If it’s the latter then that would be expensive and a nightmare. Also although agreement on the EH1C has been reached in principle it still requires agreement on an overall Brexit deal, otherwise it could be part of a package of individual “oven ready” measures 😬but in the absence of EH1C agreement travel insurance will rise significantly for older travellers on such long touring trips.

Alternatively there may well be bilateral agreements still in place.
https://www.traveller.com.au/how-th...travellers-to-stay-almost-indefinitely-h0ufui

Last edited:
Reactions: PTA
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Seems as though all you will need for a longer stay is a visa, so I doubt it will be a problem.
Yes but UKGOV doesn’t make it clear if it will be an EU visa or individual national visas. For U.K. business workers with a visa to work in the EU they will be able to move around between countries as part of the visa but not clear for very long term touring visitors. Back in the mid- late 60s I visited a number of countries by car and visas were not required and by enlarge as you arrived at border crossings you were rarely stopped or your passport was given a cursory look. Halcyon days, never to return.

I was once stopped at the Canada USA border as my US visa only covered me for business and as i was living and working in Canada as a U.K. citizen I could not cross into the USA for shopping. But the US border agents just stamped me a new visa there and then. Wouldn’t happen now.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Seems as though all you will need for a longer stay is a visa, so I doubt it will be a problem.
People still haven’t hoisted in the fact that UK has left the EU and from 1 January 2021 we cannot expect to be treated differently from other non EU countries. So when you say get a longer stay visa do you think that we will be treated differently to say Australia or Canada for example where unless there are exceptional circumstances they can only be in the EU for 90 days in 180 in the absence of a bilateral agreement. But that has limits and isn’t a panacea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_the_Schengen_Area

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch and PTA
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Wonder what’s happening about expats who have purchased properties, not heard anything for a good while.

I guess that future long term travel to EU countries will just involve getting a visitor visa online. It’s to all countries advantage to not make an onourus process.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wonder what’s happening about expats who have purchased properties, not heard anything for a good while.

I guess that future long term travel to EU countries will just involve getting a visitor visa online. It’s to all countries advantage to not make an onourus process.

John
Just like here expats have gained certain rights of residence in the base country. It’s still a bit grey as to whether they can still travel within the EU. But as U.K. citizens the 90/180 may apply when travelling.
Long term travel to the EU for other than specific purposes (study,work) may not be available.
Anything requiring more than 90 days is likely to be onerous and expensive. After all we don’t plan to make it easy once we get control of our borders do we ?☹

Reactions: Johnb
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In our case i will need to renewed our passports before we get a visa to travel in the EU

I think that officially you don't HAVE to have a passport while we are in the EU. But it makes life easier. After Brexit you will need to renew your passport anyway whether you need a visa or not.

Anything requiring more than 90 days is likely to be onerous and expensive. After all we don’t plan to make it easy once we get control of our borders do we ?☹

Not sure about that. The pundits say tourist travel will be important for us and EU countries after Brexit. Neither side will want to make it too difficult. Although 90 days + is exceptional for most. We should really know these answers by now.

John

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that officially you don't HAVE to have a passport while we are in the EU. But it makes life easier. After Brexit you will need to renew your passport anyway whether you need a visa or not.

Not sure about that. The pundits say tourist travel will be important for us and EU countries after Brexit. Neither side will want to make it too difficult. Although 90 days + is exceptional for most. We should really know these answers by now.

John

John
You don’t need to renew your passport after Brexit but you require 6 months validity.

My comment re 90+ days recognised that tourist travel would be visa less to the EU for periods under 90 days. There’s quite a lot of info on GOVUK.

You do require a passport whilst in the EU as they are checked as you leave U.K. sometimes by UK Border staff and there are French staff based in U.K., and certainly when returning.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You do require a passport whilst in the EU as they are checked as you leave U.K. sometimes by UK Border staff and there are French staff based in U.K., and certainly when returning.

Thats actually not the case. I learnt that in the 70’s. Coming into Harwich from Hamburg. The acquaintance I was traveling with had his passport stolen. He ran around the packed ferry in a panic and I lost contact. It was a horrible journey. A load of squaddies were ‘terrorising‘ the whole ferry, even the crew kept clear of them. When we disembarked I asked at passport control if he had been through. Thats when he told me that there is no law that says you have to have a passport to enter the country and that he would have just referred him to the policeman standing close by. I then asked the policeman. He said he had seen no one and hoped that he didn’t as he was about to come off shift.

Seems that all that is needed is proof of identity. Some more info here.

That is why I said life is much easier traveling WITH one.

Of course some things may have changed since the 70‘s and they will , no doubt change next year.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EHIC card will no longer be valid.
Presumably there will be a hike in travel insurance costs.
As well, the very good Pet Passport scheme will change dependant on whether UK becomes an Unlisted, part 1 listed or part 2 Listed country. Even the Listed country status will add cost and complexity to what was an excellent scheme.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is that confirmed, I thought it is still under discussion.

John
The UK Gov website still says that you may not be able to use an EH1C from 1 January 2021 unless you fall within a certain category and ordinary travellers would not be covered.. So it’s still possible it may be continued subject to the final decision on negotiation.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My understanding is that there is no such thing as an EU visa. For stays over 90 days a visa will be required for each individual country to be visited.
The ability to enter Schengen member states for stays under 90 days without a visa is already an agreed concession to citizens of specified non-Schengen countries such as the UK. Otherwise, a visa would be required even for stays under 90 days.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We will be renewing our passports just waiting till this brexit is sorted and if you go to south of France on a ferry you must have a valid and in- date passport or national identity card to travel with us

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My understanding is that there is no such thing as an EU visa. For stays over 90 days a visa will be required for each individual country to be visited.
The ability to enter Schengen member states for stays under 90 days without a visa is already an agreed concession to citizens of specified non-Schengen countries such as the UK. Otherwise, a visa would be required even for stays under 90 days.
Your are correct. If a visa is required it has to be applied for from the first country of entry which if a Schengen country allows travel within that group of countries. They can depart from any Schengen country. Although I understand that study visas can be different. For example a British student studying in the Netherlands May travel via France and Belgium but the visa will be applied fir from the Netherlands.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
At the moment there does not seem to be a definite answer on the detail. I am afraid we will simply have to wait and see.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
The UK Gov website still says that you may not be able to use an EH1C from 1 January 2021 unless you fall within a certain category and ordinary travellers would not be covered.. So it’s still possible it may be continued subject to the final decision on negotiation.

Let's hope. It's rather a valuable "security blanket".

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You may not be able to use an EH1C from 1 january i will make sure i have Travel insurance with medical cover. for our trip .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You may not be able to use an EH1C from 1 january i will make sure i have Travel insurance with medical cover. for our trip .
I’ve always taken out travel insurance even when travelling in the EU. There are limits to what the EH1C covers specific to the country you may be visiting.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Lucky for me i had travel insurance and medical cover we were in Spain on our honeymoon and i had two falls one in a shower and walking down to the pier i wanted a closer look i went down these stairs and next minute i found myself at the bottom been rushed to hospital they new me because they already seen me with my fall earlier and my left leg that was strapped up and i did the other leg at that time i ended up on two hospital support sticks we had pay the hospital at that time as well plus painkillers and the insurance paid us the full amount whem we got home and they said you not forget that holiday .
i was off work for about 8 weeks ( i wanted another break and that was a success) .
This was 10 years before my ill heath started .

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts