A bit of a shock!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Every 3 or 4 months I fill up with the Esso Super Diesel which is normally about 10p more a litre. Yesterday I filled up without checking the price per litre, but checked the receipt afterwards. It was a bit of a shock to find out that the difference was 20p a litre. Luckily I had only put in 38 litres so an additional £7.60. Lesson learnt. Check price first. Luckily I have a fuel card so there is a small discount of 6p a litre a saving of £2.28!

Is it normal with other brands for the super to be 20p more than the normal diesel? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Every 3 or 4 months I fill up with the Esso Super Diesel which is normally about 10p more a litre. Yesterday I filled up without checking the price per litre, but checked the receipt afterwards. It was a bit of a shock to find out that the difference was 20p a litre. Luckily I had only put in 38 litres so an additional £7.60. Lesson learnt. Check price first. Luckily I have a fuel card so there is a small discount of 6p a litre a saving of £2.28!

Is it normal with other brands for the super to be 20p more than the normal diesel? Thanks.
Some local garages near us will be around 15 pence more. When I was travelling to Leicester each week I used a BP garage and their Ultimate was always only 5 p more than standard diesel. The owner told me that was BPs recommended variation.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Some local garages near us will be around 15 pence more. When I was travelling to Leicester each week I used a BP garage and their Ultimate was always only 5 p more than standard diesel. The owner told me that was BPs recommended variation.
We used to use BP regular diesel with the occasional top up with premium until the service station switched to Esso. Now the nearest BP garage has prices where the regular is almost as much as the premium at other service stations i.e. 10p more plus it is no longer on our regular route to the shops.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We used to use BP regular diesel with the occasional top up with premium until the service station switched to Esso. Now the nearest BP garage has prices where the regular is almost as much as the premium at other service stations i.e. 10p more plus it is no longer on our regular route to the shops.
Guess that all businesses will now start to make up for a rubbish 12 months and still not out of it yet.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Guess that all businesses will now start to make up for a rubbish 12 months and still not out of it yet.

I think you're right.

We were quite pleased to receive a voucher from a French site when unable to travel last year for obvious reasons.

We're planning a holiday around last week in August and then September if things improve.

I've written to the voucher site and the extra for a one night stop will be Euro 12.10. Nightly fees are Euro 46.10 now - a steep increase from last year.

I suppose my honest view is that campsites are our life blood - without them we are lost (ok - unless you motor-home and do it for free!). If prices are increasing to keep a business alive then so be it.

I wonder what the extra cost will be this year (if we can go) compared to 2020. Might be best not to calculate.

Having said all that we have now moved the Tunnel reservation to late August from the original date which was almost exactly 12 months previous. The cost has now reduced by over £70 which has been refunded!

If anyone is interested the caravan Club rep told me that currently the tunnel is not increasing prices but the ferry companies are. Maybe it's worth investigating if you're planning a trip to Europe.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think you're right.

We were quite pleased to receive a voucher from a French site when unable to travel last year for obvious reasons.

We're planning a holiday around last week in August and then September if things improve.

I've written to the voucher site and the extra for a one night stop will be Euro 12.10. Nightly fees are Euro 46.10 now - a steep increase from last year.

I suppose my honest view is that campsites are our life blood - without them we are lost (ok - unless you motor-home and do it for free!). If prices are increasing to keep a business alive then so be it.

I wonder what the extra cost will be this year (if we can go) compared to 2020. Might be best not to calculate.

Having said all that we have now moved the Tunnel reservation to late August from the original date which was almost exactly 12 months previous. The cost has now reduced by over £70 which has been refunded!

If anyone is interested the caravan Club rep told me that currently the tunnel is not increasing prices but the ferry companies are. Maybe it's worth investigating if you're planning a trip to Europe.
I looked at going to France in early September but not taking the caravan. I was pleasantly surprised at prices for Eurocamp and Canvas Holidays plus those from Owners Abroad especially in the Dordogne, Languedoc and Aveyron. ( mobiles or chalets). But sites begin to close around mid to late September. However Gites and other SC still offer bookings throughout the year. I came across a super modernist chalet in the woods above Terrason with a swimming pool under a full dome for just over £600 for 14 nights. Good price considering reduced ferry/tunnel charges, less fuel in transit and saving two days travel. We are keeping an eye out but no commitment yet.

Reactions: PTA
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
We were warned that the cost of fuel would be a shock when we got back to filling up regularly. Locally diesel is hovering under 1.30 which is a hefty increase - the last time I filled up was 5th November for 1.12 - since when I have done 505 miles mostly being click and collect groceries once a week and a trip to the garage for annual service! Anyone changing their car currently should find some nice low mileage versions available having been parked up on the driveway for so much time!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The "levy" for premium diesel fuel is both dynamic and variable on which particular forecourt is today charging what, and there seems no brand alignment.
I just check out the best offers using Petrol Prices .com to know what it had been, and take on board where today it might be best to call in if travelling near.
But, it can be quite a dated price, and more than once I have driven off again without paying that days price.
I tend to see a cyclic pattern with a few players, others never being "good".

Mar 10, 2021
Visit site
Just filled my Mercedes AMG with Shell Optimax @ £1.41 pl = £120.02 to fill up :eek: Local asda Fuel is £1.18pl
means a difference of £19.50 per refill from empty.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I refuse to buy the premium fuels and I’m quite happy with supermarket filling stations, where I live there are plenty of supermarkets but none with filling station, so locally today would be £1.30 litre minimum, I filled up at Asda while working and 1.20 a litre, I’ve been driving for 47 years with all sorts of cars from old bangers and vans to a fair number of brand new vehicles, I’ve never had any problems whatsoever with supermarket brands, I vaguely recall one of the motoring magazines or possibly a tv programme that more or less said the difference was so minor it wasn’t worth paying the extra.

BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Last time l filled my car was in November at Tesco Supermarket for club card points and check the mileage at the weekend it only done 185 miles since mine like the driveway .it lovely and shiny always get someone who will give it a wash

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Next time I will fill up will be witht he "Best",,I have noticed the Old girl takes a few more turns, she deserves a treat.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I looked at going to France in early September but not taking the caravan. I was pleasantly surprised at prices for Eurocamp and Canvas Holidays plus those from Owners Abroad especially in the Dordogne, Languedoc and Aveyron. ( mobiles or chalets). But sites begin to close around mid to late September. However Gites and other SC still offer bookings throughout the year. I came across a super modernist chalet in the woods above Terrason with a swimming pool under a full dome for just over £600 for 14 nights. Good price considering reduced ferry/tunnel charges, less fuel in transit and saving two days travel. We are keeping an eye out but no commitment yet.
Hi otherclive sounds like a good price to me as well ..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was also thinking that with the vehicle doing very low mileage that maybe the premium fuel would help when I do use it as at the moment most round trip journeys are about 24 miles.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I was also thinking that with the vehicle doing very low mileage that maybe the premium fuel would help when I do use it as at the moment most round trip journeys are about 24 miles.

A wise policy, that with the low usage is not going to cost a lot in the overall scheme of vehicle ownership.
The "better" detergency features alone even before considering combustion stability are going to benefit all those coking up items like injectors, turbo nozzle switching mechanism and EGRs that presently don't get as regular real burn through to help them.
In these low mileage and short journey times, without real trashing trips, everything we can do for our diesels is IMO wise, particularly this one only costing very little.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In the past I have used Millers diesel additive at a cost of about £12 for 500ml, but as only using it every 3rd or 4th tankful not sure which is the better option. The vehicle mileage is only 61k and servcied regularly by the main dealer, but it is now 9 years old.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Waiting for the 3rd or 4th refill could leave both our vehicles without the benefit of the improved detergency though the "lockdown".
Personally, I rather have the technology and known compatibility of the big player's products looking after our vehicles through this period, than an untested mix of basic fuel additives plus a dose of any third party's.

In more normal times I generally run on regular with that 3rd or 4th filling with a dose of premium, certainly ensuring it is there for a month preceding MOTs. However, then both vehicles get long hard work outs, so different, to presently where we ought not travel further out than 5 miles. Now IMO with our usage they are better burning and left "soaking" in the additives in premium diesel fuel.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My car is used for working from home and I do 40k mileage so any muck that’s there gets blown out when I’m belting down the roads I use all the time at 80/90 and I know where every fixed camera and the locations where the mobile cameras are sometimes set up plus the garmin gives me reminders, one thing I’ve enjoyed about this awful lockdown has been the quiet roads, but nonetheless it’s great it’s coming to an end and I’m looking forward to doing lots of things currently not allowed so I thought I’d better put that before anyone piles in to say I like the lockdown, I definitely don’t like it but every cloud and all that.

BP

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
BP, a usage hugely different to those of us bound by the strictures of the lockdown, only essential journeys, under 5 miles away, equating to hundreds' not tens of thousands of miles per year, along with not really heating all the bits up.
Something that the diesel engine will be very aware of and so something altering the benefits of the fuels selected; diesels thrive on working hard, something lockdown is denying many.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BP, a usage hugely different to those of us bound by the strictures of the lockdown, only essential journeys, under 5 miles away, equating to hundreds' not tens of thousands of miles per year, along with not really heating all the bits up.
Something that the diesel engine will be very aware of and so something altering the benefits of the fuels selected; diesels thrive on working hard, something lockdown is denying many.
Dusty must have been out on an Essential Journey :eek: Didn't know of the essential journey rule of 5 miles. I transgressed going to Swindon BQ two days ago.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Didn't know of the essential journey rule of 5 miles.

Nor did I, but here the definition of "local" for exercise was reported at 5 miles.
However, the point though should have been evidently clear, the lockdown rules, where followed, are far from good for the diesel vehicles most of us own, e.g. those that have not refuelled this year.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I can travel where required as it’s required for business, my work is mobile wherever I’m needed, I tend to stick to no more than 50 miles each way for a single job or it becomes not financially worthwhile but I do travel to Dartford when there’s enough to do, I must be in KPH dusty as I wouldn’t dream of going any faster than the roads allow 😇

TRENDING THREADS