A bit of a shock!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As our current lounge suite is getting on a bit, we decided to visit SCS and another large independent with a view to replacing our current lounge suite. One small 2 seater, one recliner and one static chair. The national chain store sales person although helpful, the sales person was probably very new to the game as they had difficulty answering various questions. They had to keep asking another sales person for advice. Even stranger was that they kept on referring to a tablet and said they would email us with prices etc for the suite that we were interested in? Still no email?

The independent the sales person was switched on and we were given prices. We were not going to top of the range just something durable, mid range, not too fancy and in leather similar to our current lounge suite which was bought about 10-12 years ago. On seeing the prices we were flabbergasted as thought we were buying a late model car! They were more than double by a couple of thousand than what we paid for our current suite. When they saw that we were about to walk out, we were asked to wait while he chatted with their boss. They came back with a further discount that he had managed to negotiate with his boss. OH and myself almost burst out laughing and the old scam trick. :LOL:

I think for now we will live with our current lounge suite and maybe consider having it recovered at some point in the future.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
When we needed to replace our sofas, we liked the look of some Marks & Spencer ones, although we didn't like the M&S proices in store. The solution was to find the outlet store of the people who make the sofas for M&S. When we lived in the North West there was an outlet in North Wales called Deeside Furniture. The last time we were looking we found Westbridge Furniture in Stoke. It might be worth a visit, their website can be found here: https://www.westbridgefurniturestoke.co.uk/

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We did expect and increase in prices, but not by over 100% however I guess that is life. Not into buying that sort of stuff Online as prefer to physically sit and test the unit before agreeing to anything.

We were looking mainly at Gplan and Laz Boy, but think the latter is very over priced for what you get.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We did expect and increase in prices, but not by over 100% however I guess that is life. Not into buying that sort of stuff Online as prefer to physically sit and test the unit before agreeing to anything.

We were looking mainly at Gplan and Laz Boy, but think the latter is very over priced for what you get.
A couple of years ago you were considering a recliner and seemed not to like laz-y-boy on account of reduced quality and made in China.

My wife bought a Laz y Boy around that time and on the day of delivery on first use the leg rest mechanism broke. The company, Leekes, sent out a repair man who initially said the mechanism could be exchanged, but when Leekes looked at delivery times they offered to replace the chair. But that took six months, but not a problem as she has a nice padded foot stool, and due to covid (circa 2021) most furniture was on long delivery. Pleased to say that the replacement has been trouble free and very comfortable.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A couple of years ago you were considering a recliner and seemed not to like laz-y-boy on account of reduced quality and made in China.

My wife bought a Laz y Boy around that time and on the day of delivery on first use the leg rest mechanism broke. The company, Leekes, sent out a repair man who initially said the mechanism could be exchanged, but when Leekes looked at delivery times they offered to replace the chair. But that took six months, but not a problem as she has a nice padded foot stool, and due to covid (circa 2021) most furniture was on long delivery. Pleased to say that the replacement has been trouble free and very comfortable.
It was mentioned to us about Laz Boy and China. When the sales person came up with the price at over £6000 after all the discounts etc laughingly I said can we buy on finance, the price suddenly went up by almost £3000. Apparently if you do buy on finance it is zero interest. Hmm! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Not into buying that sort of stuff Online as prefer to physically sit and test the unit before agreeing to anything.
By all means go and test the furniture in the shop, but place the order on line or over the phone. You're immediately covered by the distance selling regulations giving you 14 days from receipt of the goods to reject them without giving a reason. No arguing about whether that small section of wavy stitching constitutes faulty manufacture, or that slight difference in colour warrants an exchange, just tell them you don't like it and they have to give you a refund (you could be liable for return costs depending on their t's and c's.)

Reactions: Banus
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
By all means go and test the furniture in the shop, but place the order on line or over the phone. You're immediately covered by the distance selling regulations giving you 14 days from receipt of the goods to reject them without giving a reason. No arguing about whether that small section of wavy stitching constitutes faulty manufacture, or that slight difference in colour warrants an exchange, just tell them you don't like it and they have to give you a refund (you could be liable for return costs depending on their t's and c's.)
Distance selling regulations no longer apply and are incorporated in the CRA 2015. Now you have 30 days from date of delivery to reject to get a full refund and after that 6 months from date of delivery when you need to give the dealer one chance at a repair before rejecting etc.

Reactions: Banus
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Y
Distance selling regulations no longer apply and are incorporated in the CRA 2015. Now you have 30 days from date of delivery to reject to get a full refund and after that 6 months from date of delivery when you need to give the dealer one chance at a repair before rejecting etc.
Yes and no, they've been incorporated into the CRA but distance selling is still treated differently. If you buy face to face you have 30 days to reject the goods if they are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described. If distance selling is involved you have the same rights, but you have the additional advantage of being able to cancel the contract within 14 days effectively rejecting the goods *without giving a reason*, hence my comment about wavy stitching.
The wavy stitching is unlikely to make the sofa unfit for purpose or not as described and whether it's of unsatisfactory quality is a matter of opinion as no stitching is perfectly straight. The seller could argue that a degree of wave in the stitching was normal and acceptable leaving the burden of proof that it wasn't on you. There would be no argument or burden of proof if distance selling applied.

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As a slight aside we have been buying a lot of things for Christmas and other reasons via Amazon. The rapid delivery and availability being key reasons. However looking at our daughter’s Amazon wish list I’ve been noticing that items vary in price for no apparent reason. A week ago a salt and pepper set was £22, then two days ago it was £37, now it is £42. Our daughter tells me that it’s not an uncommon feature. So when she wants anything that’s not required quickly she just watches the prices until she sees a drop, or minimal fluctuation.

Another plus for algorithms probably obtained from Ryanair 😂

Reactions: Sam Vimes
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
As a slight aside we have been buying a lot of things for Christmas and other reasons via Amazon. The rapid delivery and availability being key reasons. However looking at our daughter’s Amazon wish list I’ve been noticing that items vary in price for no apparent reason. A week ago a salt and pepper set was £22, then two days ago it was £37, now it is £42. Our daughter tells me that it’s not an uncommon feature. So when she wants anything that’s not required quickly she just watches the prices until she sees a drop, or minimal fluctuation.

Another plus for algorithms probably obtained from Ryanair 😂
Yes, Amazon do vary their prices over time, presumably to make it appear that there have been price reductions at certain times. There is a way to beat this. There is a free Service called CamelCamelCamel which monitors Amazon prices. If you input the item whose price you want to monitor, it will show you the price variations over a period, and the cheapest and most expensive price. It will also send you an email when it reaches your target price.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, Amazon do vary their prices over time, presumably to make it appear that there have been price reductions at certain times. There is a way to beat this. There is a free Service called CamelCamelCamel which monitors Amazon prices. If you input the item whose price you want to monitor, it will show you the price variations over a period, and the cheapest and most expensive price. It will also send you an email when it reaches your target price.
Thank you that could be very useful.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
If you go back to an item a few times it often goes up. Clear your cookies from Amazon in your browser and it should come down again.
It's happened to me a few times

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you go back to an item a few times it often goes up. Clear your cookies from Amazon in your browser and it should come down again.
It's happened to me a few times
Martin Lewis has given the tip to put the item in your basket but don't proceed to buying it - good chance after a few days it'll come down in price.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Martin Lewis has given the tip to put the item in your basket but don't proceed to buying it - good chance after a few days it'll come down in price.
Works with some companies who if an item is left in the basket may contact you with offers, but I have never noticed any action from Amazon.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Day before yesterday I recommended a phone to a friend and showed him the model and price on Amazon. using my phone to search for it. Yesterday I was with him at his place and used his Windows Laptop to look at it again. It had gone up by £10. Just an hour or so later I looked on my phone again and it was at the cheaper price I'd seen originally.

So I think there's something going on with the browser you use - cookies etc - because the big difference was that I always clear cookies when closing the browser plus block ads and tracking. None of which he does.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts