A few thoughts after a first night.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
1. The dog needs to practice sleeping in a caravan more - very sleepy this morning after a restless night.

2. There’s nothing gets you on edge quicker than a 3 mile single track road after following dumb satnav.

3. I reversed better than I thought I would.

4. I’m not entirely sure I’m putting enough pressure on the corner steadies as when the daughter goes from one end to the other, the whole thing rocks a bit.

5. After re-pegging the awning I think we may have been sold one that isn’t quite high enough for the rail. (See pic below) or does it need to stretch a bit?

I didn’t seem to be able to get the creases out of the door due to the pull down the side of caravan if that makes sense.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well done, on your first outing, and no real problems.
Our two dogs sleep at the front end or the caravan on a 2ft x3 ft babys matress, in the summer they try to get us up for a morning walk but winter time are happy to sleep in until 9 am. Sat Nav even the Dedicated caravan one, !!! Check on google maps. Corner steadys, I use an electric drill on max torque ( so I don't break my wrist ) then after a few hours check them again. And my awning always looks like a well wrinkled storage tent.

Just enjoy everything. :p

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Did everything work ok? After some comments on the “newbie” forum I’m almost thinking they inevitably nothing works when you buy a new caravan!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
OK.

Dogs, can't help you there.
SatNavs should be like cigarettes and have a warning on the box. Something like this SatNav is not fitted with a brain, please use yours. :cheer:
I also look at my arrival on google maps. It can save a problem. In time, you will find that many campsites will give you directions and roads to avoid. Im off to Hawes in the morning and it does tell you to be carefull approaching from the east.
Awnings, it is good practice to fasten all the doors before pegging out as it helps the awning keep its intended shape. Not quite sure whats gone wrong with yours, is the pole adjustable, is the ground uneven?
As for the narrow single track road, just ensure your car is bigger and beefier than anything you are likely to meet coming the other way. Bull bars help with the intimidation. B)
As for awning height, the standard height of 235 to 250 cm iswhat most are made to, it makes them universal for most caravans. I doubt in your case its the size thats wrong, just the way you have put it up. And Im not taking the mickey, we have ALL been there.
Why not have a look around the site for one the same or similar and have a natter with the owner. Thats often the best way to learn.

Just had another peek at your pic, from the angle of the pole, I wonder if you have pulled it out too far to the side?

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi Dave.

So far so good. Everything seems to be working fine. Had a little hiccup with battery door as the lock broke but to be fair it was an easy fix. Also managed to leave the pump on whilst changing the aquaroll which basically filled the system with air again. Live and learn though.

Tomorrow will be making sure we get it all drained down etc and shut off ready to tow home.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Whilst we’re packing up, a quick bit of advice please from anyone regarding water. Firstly, when I refilled the aqua roll I seem to have got a load of air back in the system (didn’t turn off pump before removing the pipe) how can I get this out as the pump makes strange noises on the bathroom taps, but not the kitchen.

Also what’s the best way to make sure all the water is out of the system before setting off home?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Open all taps so hot and cold are both open. Open drain valve on hot tank. Road motion will then aid draining of the system.

If you get air in when filling aquaroll remove filler pipe from inlet connection. Replace in water then replace in wall socket. All taps closed then restart pump. After short while then go through normal routine of opening taps to bleed. Close again. Re open etc.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Cheers. I assume the drain valve is the yellow one by the boiler. (I had to remind the dealer to point that out to me)

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Yep, the drain valve is normally close to the boiler, it will have a pipe disappearing through the floor. Corner steadies are just that, steadies. It's the wheels that take the weight and there is a "suspension" system in there somewhere, so expect movement in the van when someone walks about.
It sound like you have done quite well on your first outing, much better than we managed. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is not unusual for the steadies to "relax" into the ground be it hard standing or grass. After a while I go round with the steady brace and just retighten them a bit. After a while you will get the feel of it with the brace. Not all caravans have suspension! Mines extruded out of its tube on the off side and dropped 25-30mm, hence awaiting a new axle to be fitted. :whistle:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't need to add anything as it's all been covered,but have you enjoyed yourselves?thats the main thing.You'll find all the things you've fretted about will become second nature as you get used to it.
As someone else said,check google maps/earth so you get a feeling for the approach roads and landmarks to turn off at etc.. Also check site review as to how people got there,or put a quick " going to ........ Site,what are approach rods like" in the site section on this forum,someone has bound to have been.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
I don't need to add anything as it's all been covered,but have you enjoyed yourselves?thats the main thing.You'll find all the things you've fretted about will become second nature as you get used to it.
As someone else said,check google maps/earth so you get a feeling for the approach roads and landmarks to turn off at etc.. Also check site review as to how people got there,or put a quick " going to ........ Site,what are approach rods like" in the site section on this forum,someone has bound to have been.

I agree with you on using google earth and streetview. The sites own directions is invaluable. Last new year we went to Dolbeare Park in Cornwall and about 2 miles before my planned right turn the satnav started to tell me a right turn was ahead in 500m. There was but knowing the area from my time in Plymouth I wouldn’t even have taken a solo car along it let alone an outfit. I’m always cautious about going off of the planned route and unless I’m confident of any alternative I pull in and look at my maps

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Looks like I may have made a mess of the water system. Because it was pulling air in from the aqua roll, we ended up with a little bit of a burning smell. Anyway everything is disconnected and we are draining the system down to drive back now. Any advice on how to check this? Or do I have to wait till our next camping adventure?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Looks like I may have made a mess of the water system. Because it was pulling air in from the aqua roll, we ended up with a little bit of a burning smell. Anyway everything is disconnected and we are draining the system down to drive back now. Any advice on how to check this? Or do I have to wait till our next camping adventure?

Set it up when at home and see how it works. Unless you ran it for a longish time it is unusual to overheat the pump quickly. Did you turn off the electric water heater before draining down? I always turn of electric and either let water heater cool or pull some cold water through it before drain down. Bit like cooling a domestic shower to prevent the element overheating.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like an air lock in the pump. When you drop it into the water, shake it up and down a few times to clear this. As said earlier when you have a problem open all the taps and wait for the water to come through smoothly.
The steadies can settle a bit after you first set up and need tightening down. Buying a set off pads for the feet helps spread the load or pieces of wood can be used.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Ok so we’re back home. The van is cleaned out and parked up.

So I’m going to have a go with the water system before next trip to sort out any issues but can I just a check that everyone else ends up having to reset clocks on the Truma control after a trip because it seems that everything shuts down whilst travelling. Not a problem now but could be on future trips. Also, what do I need to make sure is off (or should be left on) whilst it’s here at home. I can have it hooked up if needs be but is that necessary?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Ok so we’re back home. The van is cleaned out and parked up.

So I’m going to have a go with the water system before next trip to sort out any issues but can I just a check that everyone else ends up having to reset clocks on the Truma control after a trip because it seems that everything shuts down whilst travelling. Not a problem now but could be on future trips. Also, what do I need to make sure is off (or should be left on) whilst it’s here at home. I can have it hooked up if needs be but is that necessary?

I switch everything off and open the fridge door. Only connect up the battery about once a month just to keep it charged. Open all cupboard and locker doors and rearrange the upholstery so that air can circulate around the caravan. Better still if you have room take it in doors. Something we have never done re lack of storage in the house and we’ve not had any problems with mould or anything. But would if we could. Close curtains if fitted to reduce fading of upholstery etc.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
That’s great cheers. When you say you connect the battery do you mean that you disconnect the battery at all other times or do you mean you hook the van up to the mains to charge it up every so often.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
For me I isolate everything from the buttons under the seat then go into your cupboard if you have the same as me pull out the TV booster aerial which will still have the red LED light on even though the mains are off . As for filling aqua roll , I don't disconnect from the side or turn the pump off inside i tell everybody in the caravan not to use the water as im away and fill up for 5 minutes not causing any air pressure or blockages , when I reinstate my pump into the water I have no problems at all when I release the taps .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
That’s great cheers. When you say you connect the battery do you mean that you disconnect the battery at all other times or do you mean you hook the van up to the mains to charge it up every so often.

I leave it in the van and use the EHU cable connected to an outdoor socket to give the battery a charge. When the vans used to be in store I removed the battery for. safe keeping and kept it on a CTEK unit at home but my previous vans did not have alarms or anything. This one doesn’t for that matter. I always make sure that after switching off at the electrical services panel (over the door) and at the under locker breaker and supply units that the radio display is also turned off. But it’s such a low power consumer it probably makes little difference in reality.

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
you need to extend the poles to take up the slack and even out the base of the awning (you should be able to walk through the front opening without to much of a stoop)….

May 29, 2018
Visit site
00buzz said:
you need to extend the poles to take up the slack and even out the base of the awning (you should be able to walk through the front opening without to much of a stoop)….

We discovered as we dismantled the awning that there was a strap that was supposed to pull the 2 sides of the air bladder together. (Rookie mistake)

May 29, 2018
Visit site
So I’ll go with switching everything off at the box under the seat and occasionally give it a boost with the EHU cable. I’m guessing I need to have the charge switch on for that though.
We are hoping to go away for a few single Saturday nights in the run up to Christmas if possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts