A-Frame bike rack

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, we have just got back from our first outing with our first caravan, have to say was really good, we both had a fantastic time, we found we needed some things we didn't have but that didn't take away from the fun.

My new question is, we really didn't want to take the car every where we went and fancy taking a couple of bikes with us. I know there are A-frame brackets out there but has any body used one and if so what do they think, I know it will increase our nose weight but when we measured ours before we left this morning we have plenty to play with.

All help is gratefully appreciated.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi, re an A frame Bike carrier.
The only time I've seen such items for sale is on the continent, over there their A frames don't have coverers unlike most uk vans, plus there A frame are longer.

If you do manage to get one that can be fitted to your A frame, Along with the weight issue my only other concern would be ensuring there is no likelihood of a collision with the tow vehicle especially during some tight manoeuvring.

Other alternatives, You can fit a carrier to the back of the van, Swift I know fit extra support blocks into the frame so this can be done, but I don't know if I fancy it due to a possible see saw effect and again weight issues.
Bikes again can be transported within the van, but again it can effect payload, and if they move have a potential to damage or scratch internal furniture.

Car mounted racks are usually the best options, Tow ball mounted again can effect hitch weight.
rear mounted racks depending on car can be the easiest however as long as you don't have any plastic spoilers fitted and again they don't foul the movement of the van on tight manoeuvring.
Roof mounted racks overall are probably the best option, but again can add to drag & fuel efficiency, plus if its a large vehicle the issue with actually lifting the bike.

However everyone is different but if you do manage to go down the A frame route, I would be interested to see how you get on.

Hope this helps
John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As has been said they far better suit the long plain Continental “A” frame; even here you have to be very careful with the clearance distances so the bikes don’t jack knife into the cars rear. They most certainly will limit the angles you can tolerate when reversing.
I am somewhat surprised that you feel you have plenty of nose weight to play with as two bikes and the carrier can readily account for 25 kgs, slightly less if light weight racers, but potentially well over if not light machines. Clearly one can compensate for this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts