A new approach to customer experience

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Over a curry last night my grandson told me that new BMWs can have several optional accessories activated on line. There options for lighting, heated seats, heated steering wheel and some others. The hardware is all installed it’s just online remote software activation that is required. The crunch is then that you pay a monthly subscription fir using the feature. So heated seats would be £15pm, and the heated steering wheel £10pm.

BMW say it gives owners more choice in that they can trial the feature for a short period before leasing, or pay a lump sum for permanent usage. BMW also say it gives future owners a better choice as they can pay to have a feature activated if it is not permanently installed.

So it’s not only media and communication services that are subscription based it’s now into car features too.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Heated seats, air conditioned seats, heated steering wheel are all standard in our 2021 Jeep which probably costs a lot less then than a standard BMW now.
I can remember looking at the LR Discovery in about 2005 and you had to pay a subscription for the Satnav which is now standard in many cars.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It also raises the question of how activating\deactivating such features might impact insurance premiums!
If the hardware is already fitted its already part of the car. A software switched item leased monthly won’t affect it as it’s a non repairable item. It can be switched off post accident and switched back on after repairs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Heated seats, air conditioned seats, heated steering wheel are all standard in our 2021 Jeep which probably costs a lot less then than a standard BMW now.
I can remember looking at the LR Discovery in about 2005 and you had to pay a subscription for the Satnav which is now standard in many cars.
Yes his 330 Touring PHEV was over £50k delivered this spring, no subscriptions though.

• Wow
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the hardware is already fitted its already part of the car. A software switched item leased monthly won’t affect it as it’s a non repairable item. It can be switched off post accident and switched back on after repairs.
Just seems another way to fleece the motorist as they still had to pay for the parts already fitted to the vehicle which they may never use if they never subscribe to the software update.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just seems another way to fleece the motorist as they still had to pay for the parts already fitted to the vehicle which they may never use if they never subscribe to the software update.
My feeling exactly, and overall by rationalisation of the cars parts inventory BMW are probably saving money and their supply chain is more efficient and less complex.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive,
Initially I thought you were pulling my chain! Both our cars came with the kit you mention. They are our property and we use them for free.
BMW is off my shopping list if they are charging for using such items🤬

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
"new BMWs can have several optional accessories activated on line. The hardware is all installed it’s just online remote software activation that is required. The crunch is then that you pay a monthly subscription for using the feature. "

That does seem to support the comment, often heard, that indicators come as optional extras on BMWs..........
:cool::cool: :cool:

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you read the BMW details it appears that only a few worldwide markets suffer this subscription method, which sadly includes the UK. IMO the 'reasons' given seem more like lame excuses.
What ? You don’t believe that it gives an enhanced customer experience tailored to their precise needs? I didn’t realise you too were a fully paid up member of Cynics R US!!🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JezzerB and Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is it April 1st already. 😂😂😂
Unfortunately not. It must be true as it’s featured in the DT and DM as well as some motoring mags. I’ve had cars with heated seats since 1997, but to be honest they rarely get used even in very cold weather.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately not. It must be true as it’s featured in the DT and DM as well as some motoring mags. I’ve had cars with heated seats since 1997, but to be honest they rarely get used even in very cold weather.
I have used our heated seat a few times, but if It was cold enough for a heated stearing wheel I would stay back in the caravan.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
With many people leasing cars these days I guess they'll see this just as an enhancement to the lease.

You'd need to do the sums regarding cost of 'renting' these features over the life of your ownership, compared with buying the next model up which might have included these features for a one off price.

Not that I'm likely to even think about buying a BMW, this does raise concern with me that once one manufacturer goes down this route, others will follow suit. It also raises the concern with me over Security, Privacy, Reliability and Availability. Connected technology can get hacked; it can monitor all your doing; it often gets screwed up with updates. Then there's the possibility of future prices rises once you're hooked and also the possibility that the service will get stopped in the future.

Only this week Hive have announced they're going to stop a number of their connected home products, leaving users with some expensive technology that's worthless.

As for what you get - well I've managed for many years without these features and a pair of gloves and thick trousers and socks are a much cheaper option and don't need an internet connection - yet :)

I've seen this trend with software. Adobe for instance stopped selling perpetual licenses for their products and went for a subscription model as do a few other companies. Microsoft do the same with Microsoft 365.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With many people leasing cars these days I guess they'll see this just as an enhancement to the lease.

You'd need to do the sums regarding cost of 'renting' these features over the life of your ownership, compared with buying the next model up which might have included these features for a one off price.

Not that I'm likely to even think about buying a BMW, this does raise concern with me that once one manufacturer goes down this route, others will follow suit. It also raises the concern with me over Security, Privacy, Reliability and Availability. Connected technology can get hacked; it can monitor all your doing; it often gets screwed up with updates. Then there's the possibility of future prices rises once you're hooked and also the possibility that the service will get stopped in the future.

Only this week Hive have announced they're going to stop a number of their connected home products, leaving users with some expensive technology that's worthless.

As for what you get - well I've managed for many years without these features and a pair of gloves and thick trousers and socks are a much cheaper option and don't need an internet connection - yet :)

I've seen this trend with software. Adobe for instance stopped selling perpetual licenses for their products and went for a subscription model as do a few other companies. Microsoft do the same with Microsoft 365.

We tried MS 365 for a year and then dumped it in favour for my very old student package from 2008. Could niot gte on wiht the new Outlook version. Libreoffice gives you all the same options as MS except a Mail program.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

We only installed the basic Hive when we moved into this house. I get their “ amazing” offers but really don’t need the additional functionality that’s offered. All that’s required is a controller thermostat for heating and water, that in rare occasions we can turn on prior to arriving home after a day out in winter. But often we tend to forget anyway.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We tried MS 365 for a year and then dumped it in favour for my very old student package from 2008. Could niot gte on wiht the new Outlook version. Libreoffice gives you all the same options as MS except a Mail program.

I was on it for a couple of years but like most things found I was only using about 20% of its capability and that was what was already available in the 2007 package I had. Problem was that security updates for 2007 were no longer available. I found you could buy the desktop version of 2019/2021 very cheaply and genuine copies and I now use this.

After many, many years hooked into Microsoft I couldn't get on with LibreOffice.

I've just done the same with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I have perpetual copies I paid for way back and they worked ok for what I need. I tried the latest subscription only package and found that it didn't offer much more than what I could already do for no additional ongoing cost. Lots of new features for sure but nothing I would want to use.

These days I'm trying to shave of a few pennies off here and there.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

You’ve made me think Sam what happens if I pay for my BMW extras on my Credit Card,
I will still be legally entitled to the section 75 Consumer Protection Act. Once BMW’s warranty expires and my goodies fail can I sue BMW ? I am “purchasing their offer of an extra which they supply? When is the point of sale? Can these extras be purchased as and when required Any ideas Clive?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You’ve made me think Sam what happens if I pay for my BMW extras on my Credit Card,
I will still be legally entitled to the section 75 Consumer Protection Act. Once BMW’s warranty expires and my goodies fail can I sue BMW ? I am “purchasing their offer of an extra which they supply? When is the point of sale? Can these extras be purchased as and when required Any ideas Clive?
Nope because the BMW exceeds £30k so S75 will not apply anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes you can pay a lump sum to activate the option required, and that then stays with the car if the owner sells it on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts