A Simple Inexpensive Solution to an Annoying Problem.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hopefully, I have once and for all solved an annoying problem I have occasionally suffered. My Coachman VIP has Alde wet central heating which comprises a boiler and a series of "convection radiators" in the pipework circuit. I say radiators but they are really nothing more than aluminium pipes running through a set of alloy fins. The point is, behind the backrest of the front seats there is a wooden panel. There is a gap of nearly two inches between this panel and the caravan wall. This gap allows warm air to rise from the radiators below into the living space and, very efficient it is too. However, it is also very convenient to place a mobile phone, book, TV remote, wallet or any other similar-sized item on top of the backrest when lounging on the bench seats. It's also very easy to knock said item off and down the narrow gap if you're not careful, to where it sits on top of the radiator. I've done this a few times and after trying to recover the item using BBQ tongs, without success, I discovered it was simpler to unscrew the panel from the wall so I could get a hand down there. So, after some thought, I went to my local DIY store and bought a 3m length of UPVC drywall corner beading. After measuring and cutting to length and making cut-outs so it fits over the back panel mounting blocks fitted it into the gap. As you can see from the picture it's quite a simple and neat solution which shouldn't restrict airflow too much and stop anything else from dropping into the abyss. At the moment, the strip is just resting there but, If necessary I might add some double-sided tape to hold it in place.
I hope this is helpful to anyone else who may have 'lost' things down the back of their seats.

Caravan grille.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's an excellent solution, and being UPVC it will look good, not weigh a lot and not have some of the sharp tangs of the older metal types.

It will work for both Wet And Dry heating systems.(y)(y)(y)

Reactions: Paullus1959
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Lots of different types of double sided tapes that will keep it in place, I used one for something and since I’ve used it for all sorts of jobs
Screw fix part number is 169JJ

Reactions: Paullus1959

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts