A solution to the shortage of HGV drivers?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since several of the EU countries as well as USA are short of drivers there is a potential solution. For many years we have had Gurkhas in the British Army, so why not issue visas for Indian lorry drivers. They are incredibly skilled and well used to waiting hours in traffic hold ups, they put up with the most basic provision for services and keep museum pieces running beautifully. Even our roads with poor surfaces would not be a problem.

Just a suggestion as it mirrors what happened years ago for the transport and healthy services!!!

7565EEED-77D2-42F4-9DCD-90C45EA5AA61_1_105_c.jpeg0394FAAA-859B-4C06-9972-6586C23566DF_1_105_c.jpeg

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I've decided to return to HGV driving.
I let my licence lapse due to a dodgy knee about 6 years ago(now have a full replacement on my left knee).
I've been earning pretty low wages since then so with my retirement due in 3 years time,decided to earn some decent money to put away to be able to not have to just rely on a pension.
Had my Specsavers eye test and HGV medical last week,then the week after we return from holiday,5 days CPC training online.
(I say training......last time it was just a case of "turn up for 7 hours a day for 5 days").

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
It honestly amazes me that ballerinas and concert pianists are on the skilled worker list but HGV drivers aren't!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I let my licence lapse due to a dodgy knee about 6 years ago(now have a full replacement on my left knee).
I've been earning pretty low wages since then so with my retirement due in 3 years time,decided to earn some decent money to put away to be able to not have to just rely on a pension.
Had my Specsavers eye test and HGV medical last week,then the week after we return from holiday,5 days CPC training online.
(I say training......last time it was just a case of "turn up for 7 hours a day for 5 days").
Hi Ade I hope you enjoy the next three years HGV driving to your retirement and plenty of money to surplus :cool:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

7 Hours a day for 5 days!!!

Just putting one of our lads through his HGV next week, he has as you have done the eye test, medical, and hazard and perception tests, all passed, we dont need CPC as we only carry own goods and work off the lorries.
His training is 2 days with total of 15 hours and test the next day.
This is only for rigid trucks and not artic's though.
Hope he passes, or he has to pay for his re-test himself!!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
7 Hours a day for 5 days!!!

Just putting one of our lads through his HGV next week, he has as you have done the eye test, medical, and hazard and perception tests, all passed, we dont need CPC as we only carry own goods and work off the lorries.
His training is 2 days with total of 15 hours and test the next day.
This is only for rigid trucks and not artic's though.
Hope he passes, or he has to pay for his re-test himself!!
Hi kev i hope he passes as well ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s quite a balanced report on today’s BBC News app, which discusses the various factors that have contributed to the shortage. Germany is also affected as well as other countries. Poland has the biggest shortage.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes....the CPC requirement is 35 hours.
I'm doing mine in one go as it elapsed about 3 or 4 years ago.
Once I complete the course,I could actually do 7 hours cpc a year then for the next 5 years.
Passed the HGV Class 2 in 1984.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
UK HGV licence holders are severely restricted as to what work they or their employers can undertake if they want to drive trucks in the EU.
Some firms are paying for their drivers to travel to Ireland to obtain Irish HGV licences so their drivers can get around this problem!

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
UK HGV licence holders are severely restricted as to what work they or their employers can undertake if they want to drive trucks in the EU.
Some firms are paying for their drivers to travel to Ireland to obtain Irish HGV licences so their drivers to get around this problem!
I have read that U.K. HGV drivers can only make a maximum of three drops in the EU. This is really affecting the ability of touring groups, shows etc to tour Europe as they once did. No doubt it affects other businesses too. Of course fir groups their drivers also help with setting up and taking down. Don’t know if we have the same rules for EU drivers coming to this country. But the EU rules have been in place for a long while for third party countries as we now are categorised.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
So I'm a lorry driver, well versed and experienced.
I'm looking for work in Cornwall, nightmare tbh, not everyone with vacancies advertise on the job sites but use there own, so how do I know?
Then applying requires umpteen box ticking, a cv, passwords, verification emails.
Make no wonder there's a shortage, my current job here in Leeds I just phoned them up from the number on Indeed job site!

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Worth getting a copy of Diesel Driver is its still published. They used to advertise jobs in there. Failing that, as a temporary thing, look for agency work. As a skilled driver (if you are ;)), you are likely to be snapped up for any vacancies given the current shortage.

The problem with Cornwall is that there is very little work around, so the HGV industry may be better manned down there.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I suspect the problem varies from area to area. I know the supermarkets are working hard to recruit drivers and offering all sorts to get them. This would be from a limited number of distribution centres, so you would need to be in the right area to go for one. This point applies to other industries as well, so the local market could be very different to the national picture.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I suspect the problem varies from area to area. I know the supermarkets are working hard to recruit drivers and offering all sorts to get them. This would be from a limited number of distribution centres, so you would need to be in the right area to go for one. This point applies to other industries as well, so the local market could be very different to the national picture.
In our area waste collection schedules are being affected as drivers are leaving for better paid driving jobs. Some paid for green waste collection has been suspended.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would be very careful going back into the transport industry. Currently, they are paying desperation wages "in some areas", bu these wages arent sustainable by an industry thats already been cut to the bone for load prices. As driver availability increase, expect the wages to decrease. We all know how easy it is for companies to tear up contracts and force you to sign a new one. With the cost of fuel and insurance on the rise again, something has to give. and it wont be the bosses,

TRENDING THREADS