A Tragic Lesson

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
One of the victims is a member of the Bailey Caravan Owners Club. His Insuranc eclaim was rejected because he had changed the storage site location without telling his Insurers. I do not know the details but let this be a reminder to all about the importance of telling your Insurers everything about your security a d storage. A non disclosure of a material fact ie change in Tracker system may result in a rejected claim.

https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/n...tolen-caravans-from-ryton-on-dunsmore-3153096

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One of the victims is a member of the Bailey Caravan Owners Club. His Insuranc eclaim was rejected because he had changed the storage site location without telling his Insurers. I do not know the details but let this be a reminder to all about the importance of telling your Insurers everything about your security a d storage. A non disclosure of a material fact ie change in Tracker system may result in a rejected claim.

https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/n...tolen-caravans-from-ryton-on-dunsmore-3153096
One reason I decided not to claim the 10% discount on Alko wheel lock was that I couldn’t guarantee to use it every time whilst away. I use it always when the van is at home or in store. Also I would have had to tell the insurer if the van was in for service for example where the lock would not have been used. My approach may not be quite a secure as it could be but I do comply with my insurers requirements.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Interesting. Was the caravan stolen from the new storage site?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I don’t know the details. However if it is the case both storage sites met the same security criteria and both were acceptable to the Insurer then one may feel aggrieved at the repudiation. Sadly we know only too well on here the importance eof full disclosure to your Insurer. That said various Insurers have different unwritten tolerance levels. The Clubs tend to take a more lenient approach. Cheaper less well known ones may well take it to the letter of the law. You pays your money...........

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Interesting in the pictures with the item both are twin axles and both appear to had their battery locker doors removed - is that perhaps because without keys the thieves wanted to ensure there was no alarm connected to the battery?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Then the insurance company are fully within their rights. However perhaps they should be refunding the premium as they cancelled the policy.

DD did not say the policy was cancelled, only that the claim was rejected. That is not the same thing. The insurance may also have covered other risks not related to the storage location which would have remained active, and thus the policy was still active.

It is up to the insured to make sure they follow the T&C's of the policy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
DD did not say the policy was cancelled, only that the claim was rejected. That is not the same thing. The insurance may also have covered other risks not related to the storage location which would have remained active, and thus the policy was still active.

It is up to the insured to make sure they follow the T&C's of the policy.
Very true Prof. I don’t know the details other than what’s posted. Cancelling a Policy, Contract of Insurance is not a simple matter. I doubt that happened, just the repudiation of the claim.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
These photos show what scum do to your pride and joy. And yes I suspect the thieves were trying to disable the alarm !

EC85FD91-3666-4643-9225-AE361198E621.jpeg11503F49-177A-4AD9-9D35-BE1BF29423D9.jpeg3AB9B62C-2469-4B4D-9978-E28893AD3AC1.jpegBCA022BF-87FD-4D3D-8C2D-CC4642BEC29A.jpeg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Interesting in the pictures with the item both are twin axles and both appear to had their battery locker doors removed - is that perhaps because without keys the thieves wanted to ensure there was no alarm connected to the battery?
Half-decent alarm systems don't rely on the caravan battery, they use an inbuilt rechargeable battery - some, perhaps all, caravan alarms trigger if the leisure battery is disconnected.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Half-decent alarm systems don't rely on the caravan battery, they use an inbuilt rechargeable battery - some, perhaps all, caravan alarms trigger if the leisure battery is disconnected.
Phantom tracker are notified immediately if the battery is removed on our caravan.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve wondered previously as to if you have a clause stating the Alko wheel lock is fitted whenever it’s parked up and not hitched up, if you left the Alko off and it got stolen other than you telling the insurance yourself how are they going to know it wasn’t fitted?

BP

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I’ve wondered previously as to if you have a clause stating the Alko wheel lock is fitted whenever it’s parked up and not hitched up, if you left the Alko off and it got stolen other than you telling the insurance yourself how are they going to know it wasn’t fitted?

BP

Asking for evidence; its bits and the damage if any around the receiver if recovered; a few photos could readily validate your claim it was on, or otherwise, raising more questions.
If it was cut off with a grinder and taken, a magnet around the location where the wheel stood would yield the right steel filings. But what thief will want to be stopped with a useless incriminating load of wheel lock bits?

Lying to the insurer, would be so stupid and muck your life up from then on.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Very true Prof. I don’t know the details other than what’s posted. Cancelling a Policy, Contract of Insurance is not a simple matter. I doubt that happened, just the repudiation of the claim.
Insurance companies would be unlikely to cancel or void a policy unless there was clear evidence of a fraud or other illegal activity being attempted.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I knew when I posted my query about telling your insurance company if you didn’t put it on that it would get replies as to repercussions if found out, I made no mention of me doing it, I wouldn’t need to lie because I ALWAYS! fit my Alko wheel lock, I paid best part of £300 so to not use it would be daft, also the storage I use had 2 caravans stolen about a month ago, the farmer who owns the site said the police told him that the Alko was never in his experience even attempted to remove it, I was a little bit dubious buying it initially because of the reports on here about it being difficult to fit, I’ve got a single axle caravan and a mover fitted and it takes me less than a minute to put it on or remove it, now if I had a twin axle or no mover I’d probably not bought it, as for the insurance looking for iron filings from an angle grinder used and going to the storage to look for evidence such as bits of metal etc I think that’s stretching things a bit and they couldn’t prove it wasn’t a nice tidy thief who put something down to catch the bits, all speculation but I can’t see an insurance company going to those lengths.

BP

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I knew when I posted my query about telling your insurance company if you didn’t put it on that it would get replies as to repercussions if found out, I made no mention of me doing it, I wouldn’t need to lie because I ALWAYS! fit my Alko wheel lock, I paid best part of £300 so to not use it would be daft, also the storage I use had 2 caravans stolen about a month ago, the farmer who owns the site said the police told him that the Alko was never in his experience even attempted to remove it, I was a little bit dubious buying it initially because of the reports on here about it being difficult to fit, I’ve got a single axle caravan and a mover fitted and it takes me less than a minute to put it on or remove it, now if I had a twin axle or no mover I’d probably not bought it, as for the insurance looking for iron filings from an angle grinder used and going to the storage to look for evidence such as bits of metal etc I think that’s stretching things a bit and they couldn’t prove it wasn’t a nice tidy thief who put something down to catch the bits, all speculation but I can’t see an insurance company going to those lengths.

BP
Beehpee,

In the event of a theft you can guarantee 99% of the time the Insurer will appoint a Loss Adjuster to carry out basic investigations. Visiting the locus of the theft is guaranteed. They need to check what you told the Insurer about the storage is true. They are looking for any evidence regarding the theft including metal filings, bits of security stuff or simply marks on the ground where the caravan may have been dragged complete with the locks etc. These guys are experts in forensic examination. You won’t pull the wool over their eyes!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The insurance premium is based partially on where the caravan is stored and therefore if it changes then the insurer should be notified so that they can re assess the premium.
The insurer could only reject the claim if the new storage was less secure or possibly in a higher rated area, and would therefore have either required a higher premium or was unacceptable to the insurer. Not having any further details of the storage and the reason given I cannot say if the repudiation was correct.
The insurers have to be fair to their policyholders and this means they can only repudiate if the change would have attracted a higher premium.
If the new storage was of equal or better security and not in an area that would have attracted a higher premium, the the repudiation should be challenged as it would be deemed unfair.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If only Ray. When I was at the CU my old claims boss was adamant you did your best to settle a claim within reason. He was of the same mind as you. Today I suspect things are different. That said there are still Insurers who take a more lenient view and would support your view , which I do too. Sadly others are sticklers for minutiae and dare I say get a bonus for a successful declinature. Another reason for sticking with a reputable company. I don’t know anymore details. The victim is a member of the Bailey Caravan Owners Club.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The answer is that the insurers have no choice now as the Ombudsman has the ultimate say. He would not let a repudiation stand unless the insurer was prejudiced by the non disclosure. Working for RSA we would have paid anyway, the Ombudsman might have be needed with some of our less honest competitors.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Commiserations to the owner. I was livid when the neighbourhood moron damaged my caravan with a rugby ball, this owner must be devastated.

Years back, I kept my caravans at a CASSOA Gold site and I don't recall (possibly incorrectly) ever being asked for the actual address of the storage site. Maybe things have changed but I would have expected the insurers to play ball if this were a CASSOA site of the same level as the previous site.

Doesn't the storage site bear some responsibility? Of course dependant on how they advertise their business in respect of security.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Doesn't the storage site bear some responsibility? Of course dependant on how they advertise their business in respect of security.

There is that possibility as you are paying a fee to the storage owner to take care of your caravan or goods however I would think that you would need a good solicitor that is on the ball.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Commiserations to the owner. I was livid when the neighbourhood moron damaged my caravan with a rugby ball, this owner must be devastated.

Years back, I kept my caravans at a CASSOA Gold site and I don't recall (possibly incorrectly) ever being asked for the actual address of the storage site. Maybe things have changed but I would have expected the insurers to play ball if this were a CASSOA site of the same level as the previous site.

I’m with the CMHC insurer and they do ask the details of the CASSOA.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Would a service like storage be covered by CRA 2015 as you are paying for a service? It may be a starting point if the caravan owner wants to claim off the storage however there are other issues that also need to be covered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts