A82 🤔 OMG it looks tight

Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
Just had a great camping trip to Fort William and used the A82, at loch Lomond. Planning to get a caravan, 2 berth Very soon but noticed and hard to miss the difficulty the section from Tarbet - Ardlui could pose. Buses, lorries squeezing past each other over hanging rock faces even saw a couple of vans with what looked like Fresh scrapes on them.
Looks a bit daunting for a newbee tower, what's your experiences

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Most caravanners seem to be frightened of the A82 between Tarbet and Crianlarich so avoid it like the plague - the worst issue seems to be foreign LHD coaches who tend to run wide on the bends - whilst I can see their concerns, I still use that section of A82 and never had an issue.

Reactions: rob39
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most caravanners seem to be frightened of the A82 between Tarbet and Crianlarich so avoid it like the plague - the worst issue seems to be foreign LHD coaches who tend to run wide on the bends - whilst I can see their concerns, I still use that section of A82 and never had an issue.
This was all discussed in a recent post and several recommended going via Crianlairich. Although some one else said the narrow bit had been dealt with. Your report seems to “Scotch” that one 😂

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
This was all discussed in a recent post and several recommended going via Crianlairich. Although some one else said the narrow bit had been dealt with. Your report seems to “Scotch” that one 😂
The very narrow part at Pulpit Rock has been dealt with - the traffic lights are gone and the road widened with one side built out over the loch itself. As I posted , I don't have an issue towing along the A82 but many do and will continue to do so.

Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
Followed a caravan yesterday through it, taking it very very steady, 20 -30mph most of time, stopping and letting lorries, buses other caravans pass in opposite direction, and it was very tight at times. North bound seems harder due to being next to the land and rock out crops.
I'll just need to give it a try once I get a van

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The worst bit has been dealt with but it is still narrow and twisting with coaches and timber lorries causing problems.
I would avoid it and use the M73 and M80 from Glasgow and then the A84 at Stirling onto the A85. Then take the A82 at Tyndrum for the spectacular bit. The route is slightly longer but certainly faster and still scenic.
Not sure I have seen any petrol stations past Esso at Callander, I would normally try and keep the tank topped up enough to get to Fort William where there is a Morrisons.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The worst bit has been dealt with but it is still narrow and twisting with coaches and timber lorries causing problems.
I would avoid it and use the M73 and M80 from Glasgow and then the A84 at Stirling onto the A85. Then take the A82 at Tyndrum for the spectacular bit. The route is slightly longer but certainly faster and still scenic.
Not sure I have seen any petrol stations past Esso at Callander, I would normally try and keep the tank topped up enough to get to Fort William where there is a Morrisons.

Modern cars with smaller tanks can be a PITA when touring with a caravan - smaller tank means lower kerbweight/MIRO (don't start!) giving marginally better official mpg figures - thankfully my Touareg is "old school" and has a 100 litre tank so I can get up to Inverness with the caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If it is the same road on the way to Fort Willaim and runs alongside a loch, it was a bit hairy towing a twin axle along the road but we managed.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Used this route for years. Last did Loch Lomond road thirty years ago.Too twisty and hazardous to enjoy any views, nota good route for a tugger.
I’m with Ray on the alternative.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Roger I take your point about the fuel tank size, but these are all single carriageway roads once you get off the motorway and can be slow and hilly, so your fuel consumption will be far higher than normal. I would certainly fill up again at Fort William as that next bit is very slow and fuel after that is rare and expensive.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Roger I take your point about the fuel tank size, but these are all single carriageway roads once you get off the motorway and can be slow and hilly, so your fuel consumption will be far higher than normal. I would certainly fill up again at Fort William as that next bit is very slow and fuel after that is rare and expensive.
To be fair, If I'm going north of Inverness I use the A9 rather than the A82 - for Highland tours I usually add an extra 20 litres in cans in the boot - Asda Tain is the most northerly cheap fuel.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I‘ve done Scotland since 1974. I think we need a reality check here.
Isle of Arran fuel costs are circa 20 p more a litre than U.K. But Achiltibuie , by the Summer Isles are the same price as mainland UK! Yes maybe on average costs are slightly higher but not enough to worry me. Also winding up the West Coast there are plenty of fuel stations . Scotland isn’t a wilderness. However I do agree and suggest it is wise to fill your tanks at every available opportunity.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I‘ve done Scotland since 1974. I think we need a reality check here.
Isle of Arran fuel costs are circa 20 p more a litre than U.K. But Achiltibuie , by the Summer Isles are the same price as mainland UK! Yes maybe on average costs are slightly higher but not enough to worry me. Also winding up the West Coast there are plenty of fuel stations . Scotland isn’t a wilderness. However I do agree and suggest it is wise to fill your tanks at every available opportunity.

Agreed
To be honest fuel costs aren’t a driver for me on such a long haul. The additional price when you are north of Glasgow is just part of the cost of the holiday. Like if we went to the Med when I worked. Saved a good two days travel by using the autoroute but paid more per litre for fuel. It’s a very small percentage of the overall holiday cost which can be retrieved via the right foot. 😂

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Agreed
To be honest fuel costs aren’t a driver for me on such a long haul. The additional price when you are north of Glasgow is just part of the cost of the holiday. Like if we went to the Med when I worked. Saved a good two days travel by using the autoroute but paid more per litre for fuel. It’s a very small percentage of the overall holiday cost which can be retrieved via the right foot. 😂
So true Clive, just a few more pennies , not enough to even make me think twice about going! Don’t forget Ms Sturgeon does give a subsidy to the outlying areas, quite rightly too with the miles people have to travel to work.

Reactions: otherclive
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Did that stretch on a tour round Scotland 2 years ago going from the Lakes to Oban. Yes It was tight. Yes I was glad my 'van wasn't 8-foot wide. Would I take the A9 next time given the choice? Yes.

It didn't help that I was also following a Hyundai Ionic which was being driven erratically [probably a hire-car driven by a person used to LHD] and was in the gutter or on the brakes for anything coming the other way. Luckily our tour took us home another way!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts