abbey gts vogue 12v

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
Hi,
I am hoping you are able to help.
My elderly neighbour owns an Abbey caravan and is having some issues with parts of the 12V system. He asked me to see if I can identify the problem as my background is in electronic and electrical engineering.
The issue is there is no permanent 12V supply to the fridge and the battery charge indicator does not show battery health despite the fact the caravan battery is fully charged. The rest of the 12V system appears to be functioning perfectly well.
I have tested every fuse I can locate and all are ok.
My question is, are there any hidden fuses relating to the above and if so where are they located? Is there a wiring diagram available for these areas or a wiring loom diagram that would help locate the problem?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As above. The reason for this is because the fridge tends to use quite a lot of current and would flatten the battery in a few hours. The 12 v feed is only active when the tow vehicle is connected and running. Normally when on site and being used the fridge should be powered by mains 230V ac of gas.

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
Hi Buckman,
Yep I realise that, but there should be, according to the manual, a 12V permanent supply from the caravan battery to the fridge board. This is so the boards electronics is powered up. But, apart from that, as far as I understand it, the battery condition meter should display the battery level when the button on the unit is pressed and it does not.
In additon to all of that I have connected to the vehicle, ignition on, and still no volts. I have removed the habitation relay and tested it and again all ok?

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
As above. The reason for this is because the fridge tends to use quite a lot of current and would flatten the battery in a few hours. The 12 v feed is only active when the tow vehicle is connected and running. Normally when on site and being used the fridge should be powered by mains 230V ac of gas.
I aslo tried connecting to 240v supply, but again from what I've read, the fridge panel requires a permanent 12v supply for anything to happen. Still doesn't explain why the battrey monitor fails to register. When I measure the battery on the caravan it's almost 14v, so fully charged.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add that when you mentioned Abbey I assumed an older caravan. I think the 12v is required to run the fridge on gas. Not sure about control panel as it differs from brand of fridge to other. What is the brand and model of the fridge?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Do we assume from the lower picture that the switches should be in the down position , left being master followed by lights, taps and battery, does that conur with the 12v functions in the van? In one of the front bed lockers expect to find the control unit - with trip switches and fuses - is that all as you would expect and please post what manuf and type it as - some are noted to be prone to failure.

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
Do we assume from the lower picture that the switches should be in the down position , left being master followed by lights, taps and battery, does that conur with the 12v functions in the van? In one of the front bed lockers expect to find the control unit - with trip switches and fuses - is that all as you would expect and please post what manuf and type it as - some are noted to be prone to failure.
Hi, Thanks for persevering. Far left switch does nothing in either position? 2nd from left is supposed to control the entry light (my neighbour thinks bulb is blown!) 3rd controls water pump and last switch is sprung loaded ie press to read battery level then returns to the off pos'n. Have tried all the various switch positions on the fuse box, 3 pos'n battery switch, charger etc. As mentioned, tested every fuse.
Just to reiterate, just connected to van battery everything works apart from 12v supply to the fridge pcb and battery monitor. I know members have the said the fridge only works either from mains or car which I understand. However the fridge manual states that the terminals with the purple and black wire have to be connected to the van battery via a 2amp fuse uninterrupted. Sorry to bang on!
Will take a photo of the fuse box tomorrow as it's a bit late to disturb the neighbour. Thanks again.

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for persevering. Far left switch does nothing in either position? 2nd from left is supposed to control the entry light (my neighbour thinks bulb is blown!) 3rd controls water pump and last switch is sprung loaded ie press to read battery level then returns to the off pos'n. Have tried all the various switch positions on the fuse box, 3 pos'n battery switch, charger etc. As mentioned, tested every fuse.
Just to reiterate, just connected to van battery everything works apart from 12v supply to the fridge pcb and battery monitor. I know members have the said the fridge only works either from mains or car which I understand. However the fridge manual states that the terminals with the purple and black wire have to be connected to the van battery via a 2amp fuse uninterrupted. Sorry to bang on!
Will take a photo of the fuse box tomorrow as it's a bit late to disturb the neighbour. Thanks again.

Neighbour was in front garden so here's the fusebox...20220812_203025.jpg20220812_203025.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the new information about the battery monitor not registering a fully charged battery suggests that battery power is not getting through to the distribution panel. Many caravan manufacturers fit a 20A fuse in the battery lead. Its possible this fuse may have blown.

This can happen if the battery is being installed and for some reason, the battery wires have been crossed connected even momentarily.

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
With the new information about the battery monitor not registering a fully charged battery suggests that battery power is not getting through to the distribution panel. Many caravan manufacturers fit a 20A fuse in the battery lead. Its possible this fuse may have blown.

This can happen if the battery is being installed and for some reason, the battery wires have been crossed connected even momentarily.
Hi, there is a 25A fuse in the battery line underneath the seat where the battery compartment is. Checked that fuse and is ok. There is also a 15A fuse in-line with the habitation relay and again tested ok.

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
Just to add that when you mentioned Abbey I assumed an older caravan. I think the 12v is required to run the fridge on gas. Not sure about control panel as it differs from brand of fridge to other. What is the brand and model of the fridge?
From the owners manual it looks like it a 2006 model. The fridge is Dometic 7000 series. 2 knobs. Left knob 4 positions.
off, gas, 240V and 12V. Right knob is temp control. 3 led's

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
If all else fails I'm thinking about running a new fused 12V/2A line directly from the van battery to the black and purple connections on the fridge and not worry about the battery condition. I'm still convinced there is a fuse somewhere I've not found yet which is common to both the battery monitor and this 12v line. A wiring loom diagram would be helpful!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There have been several previous threads concerning the reliability of Nordelettronica control systems

Perhaps you are suffering similar reliability issues.

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
Sometimes the wiring diagrams are in the back of the Service book, if your neighbour has it still.
Unfortunately no such luck. Have tried contacting Swift to see if they have any old diagrams but so far nothing forthcoming. Can't believe it's so difficult to get info.

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
Cheers Hutch, exactly what I've been looking for. I should be able to trace where the problem is now. Many thanks. Hopefully I will report back so that if anyone else has the same issue it could be useful.
Finally!!!! 20 years working on the LHC paid off.
As I suspected there was a fuse that had blown but couldn't find. Thanks to Hutch and the circuit diagram I eventually discovered it. It was hidden at the back of the NE 2006 fuse box dangling off a very short flying lead. Why would you place it there? I now have the permanent 12V line to the fridge as described in the fridge manual and the battery charge indicator reads as it should.
If you look at the wiring diagram where the NE2006 is located the offending fuse is on the 3rd wire down from the top.
Once again many thanks for all the help.....regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts