Adding a portable folding solar panel when craravan has a 100 wat roof mounted solar panel

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
We are finding that although the 100 watt s.p. is enough in the summer it is not enough in the winter on weekend DA meets. I am thinking a buying a Dokio 160 watt folding sp that has its own waterproof controller from Amazon and simply connecting this to the caravan battery terminals. I assume that the battery will not overcharge as the Sargent controller will turn off the roof sp and the folding controller will turn off that power. Can anyone advise me if there is anything wrong with that idea or anyone had experience of Dokio solar panels with controller? Any help appreciated.

Nigel

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Nigel and welcome. Your logic seems fine to me. Also a folding solar panel will work much better in the winter so long as you chase the sun.

John

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Certainly in principal the Idea seems OK, but you should check the instructions for your existing charge controller.

Several charge controllers already have the facility to add more PV panels, again your instructions should tell you if yours has this, and save you the cost of another charge controller.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
My Bailey S3 Unicorn has the standard 100W panel on the roof via a PCM controller (standard fit). When on site I also attach our SunStore 60W portable solar briefcase via a 12v car-type socket, wired direct to the battery (via 10A in line fuse). It also has a PCM controller, so they play nicely together. The socket is housed on a short fly lead in the external 13A socket box, and allows us to use it to power 12V coolbox in the awning is we are on a hookup site.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts