Adria Adora Tiber

Oct 14, 2021
Visit site
We were thinking of buying an Adria Adora caravan to replace our Sterling Elite 560 but we have a few concerns about the Adora that we'd like some help on:

Size - Although the body length is "only" 6.83m but 8.24m in total, it is longer than twin axle caravans and has a very long A-frame, is this a problem when towing, pitching or with insurance? Also at 2.46m is this really wider than other 8 foot caravans?

ATC - Should I worry that ATC is not included or available as a factory option? I also can't determine if shock absorbers are fitted as standard.

TIA

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lesley,
Size - Although the body length is "only" 6.83m but 8.24m in total, it is longer than twin axle caravans and has a very long A-frame, is this a problem when towing, pitching or with insurance? Also at 2.46m is this really wider than other 8 foot caravans?

ATC - Should I worry that ATC is not included or available as a factory option? I also can't determine if shock absorbers are fitted as standard.

Within the UK the maximum permitted trailer dimensions for tow vehicles up to 3500kg GVW

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar): 7.0m - Note this excludes the A frame. so your additional length is not a legal problem, but you should check with the planned caravanning sites to confirm the length will not be a problem. It might also cause a problem with some ferry/train companies if you intend to tour abroad, check their maximum sizes before booking.

Width Maximum: 2.55m (was 2.3m up to 2010) Again your caravan is within the UK's legal maximum.

In virtually all cased having a longer A frame will actually improve the caravans towability, but you may need to be more careful about loading the caravan to get a sensible noseload. Most people find that longer trailers (Strictly the distance from hitch to trailers wheels) are easier to reverse, becasue the caravan's angle to the car changes more slowly when turning.

The fact it's a single axle rather than twin, means it will be easier to manhandle into place, as there will be no tyre scrubbing resisting turning.

As the caravan is within the UK's legal size limits you should be able to insure it, BUT if its not a UK specification, some insurers may shy away from it, or load the premium.

There is little doubt that ATC is a very effective system. but becasue they need power to operate, and that power is derived from the normal auxiliary circuits in the 7 or 13 pin plugs which is not an assured supply, the ATC cannot and must not be considered to be part of the outfits braking systems. ATC is only an additional system which rather like seat belts should never actually do anything unless and emergency situation arises. Consequently you do not need to have ATC, but its nice if it can be fitted.

Shock absorbers or dampers fitted to caravans will improve the towing characteristics of the caravan, it also can reduce long term damage to the caravan from towing over poor surfaces. Having the caravan wheels balanced can also make a big difference.

You would need to check with the caravan or chassis manufacture if either dampers or ATC can be fitted.

Reactions: Lesley S
May 7, 2012
Visit site
All towing reviews say they tow well so there should be no problem there. I agree with the Prof on the basic better towing with a longer drawbar.
ATC is something that is a retrofit on many makes and assuming you are looking at a new model the dealer should be able to do. Basically it is a safety device which if you have a problem should help but it is not something you should use to correct a problem, but something you can fit as an extra precaution. What you have to do is look at the price and the benefits and decide for yourself if it is worth the cost for that extra security.
Do be aware that the caravan is very heavy at about 1,800 MTPLM and will need a heavy and powerful car to tow it. Given you have the Stirling I assume you have something substantial but the Adria is heavier, so may be an upgrade is needed.
The width difference as against UK full width models should not be noticeable.
I have not heard of problems with insuring Adrias, although some other continental makes are not accepted by some insurers. If you have any doubts ask your insurer before you go ahead. but both of the big clubs do accept them at normal rates.

Oct 14, 2021
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies which have been really helpful. We are now convinced that the Tiber would suit us (2 adults + 2 small dogs) and we would be confident about towing it with our X5 as towcar, but still have concerns about the length of 8244 when arriving on pitches, etc. Whilst we mull it over further, we realise that our 560 is hard to beat. Thank you again.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Sorry I didn't mention length-our Buc is 8m long and our car 5.5m long and we have no issues with length either-i keep an eye on the nearside mirror when turning left and of course the opposite turning right/roundabouts and if in doubt do the lorry driver bit and straddle a lane if it's tight to allow sufficient turn space BUT that's very rare. WE've been to the private site at Sutton on sea-single lane with a very narrow verge and quite narrow gate and got in and out absolutely fine-we haven't ever had an issue finding a site-the length isn't an issue or hasn't been. We do google maps to check entrances when booking so we know what we're getting into and can plan a route. But since our tow vehicle will be a fair bit longer than yours i don't think you need to worry about length at all-it's another-sounds a lot but when you subtract your previous van it isn't a huge difference. We did get a better pitch on our storage site and have to pay a little bit more though!!!!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sorry I didn't mention length-our Buc is 8m long and our car 5.5m long and we have no issues with length either
Just being pedantic! Buccaneer is 8.16m in length. What car are you using that is 5.5m in length, a Lincoln stretch Limousine? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Well if we're being pedantic it's actually 5330mm! But we have a towbar-that was the 100mm that tipped it into my garage door the other day-!!!! I've been told 1000 times to stop exaggerating( wasn't too far off though was I?)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Most of us start short and move up from there. I doubt the extra length of the Adria would make any real difference. Longer caravans seem to follow better in my book and are easier to reverse.

Reactions: Lesley S

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts