Advice for a Canadian

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
First, let me say how jealous I am of the array of practical vehicles you folks have over the pond. I'm sure you get sick of hearing about what seems to you to be absolutely pedestrian vehicles and engine choices but some of us North American's who tend to steer a bit off the beaten path, salivate over the choices available to you.

My criteria for my next vehicle (which I plan on purchasing in ~ 2 years and am beginning research on) is: diesel, hatchback/wagon/CUV, quite preferably with a manual gearbox and preferably (though not required) AWD.

As of right now, the ONLY vehicle available here, that ticks all the required boxes (minus the AWD) is what you refer to as the Golf Estate. So clearly, it's in the lead :lol: (Despite VW Canada stating "This vehicle is not recommended for towing" :angry: ) It does seem that you may have some helpful towing equipment available to you over there that we wouldn't like trailer integrated ESP if what I've read is correct. I'd love to pick your brains on how I might equip my Canadian Golf to bring it as close to a UK towing-spec Golf as possible for as safe of towing as possible.

However, I'm hopeful that Mazda will have the long rumoured diesel CX5 (though likely, infuriatingly without a manual for us North Americans) available by the time I'm ready to purchase. Increasing my list of candidates by a whopping two fold!

I'm hoping to get your thoughts on a comparison of the two vehicles capabilities both as tow vehicles and everyday drivers. 90% of the time the vehicle will largely be used commuting me to work and back and running errands. Occasional use with a hitch mounted bike rack as well and also towing the below trailer to the hardware/garden store and occasional camping trip.

I have some additional questions on towbars (50mm balls vs 2" being a ~0.8mm difference), wiring etc particularly as you seem to use 13 pin wiring over there vs our 7 but I may start another thread on that if you feel that's best.

Appreciate the help!

Moderator Note:
All "Advertising removed, including external links

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I forgot to add that my current tow vehicle for the above trailer is a 2011 Suzuki SX4 with the 2.0L petrol motor.

It's adequate for short trips to the hardware store and local (short distance, minimal hill/mountain terrain) camping etc but it's not something I want to use for longer camping trips and climbing through the Rocky Mountains with.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi JR, It might be worth you looking at the Subaru Forester diesel SUV as it may fit your criteria.

As to the tow balls being 50mm diameter this side of the water, that is quite correct. we used 2 inch diameter tow balls over here many years ago and for a few years it was common to see both sizes in use... but even years ago the rule was never to try and mix the two sizes.....

If you put a 50mm coupling over a 2 inch ball then there was a danger it could jump off...... and if you did it the other way around it was necessary to use a hydraulic jack to force it off!

Happy days,
all good wishes
paws

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Paws :)

As of now, there is no diesel Forester available on our shores and no imminent plans to make one available I'm afraid. Subaru is on my "keep tabs on" list though for just such a thing.

That's what I was afraid of with the ball sizes.

I really like the design of the Westfalia hitch and how it actually goes in to the VW's frame (unibody) rather than just being more surface mounted (under the bumper cover) like a lot of other models I've seen. I guess I'll have to see if someone makes a compatible 2" ball for their detachable unit or preferably a more standard to North America 1-1/4" "box" style receiver so I can use my existing bike rack (but with something similar to the Westfalia's superior mounting design).

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Basically, I'd need something like this Bosal BSL043964:

BSL043964_8_500.jpg

But I believe this unit is only made for their truck tow bars (and doesn't seem to be readily available).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello JR

I am frankly very surprised to read you think you have a poor choice of vehicles for towing in Canada. I have a sister in law in BC, and virtually every household has a quite serious by UK standards pickup truck or SUV with a towbar fitted for hauling trailers including 'caravans'

The VW Golf is about as close as you will get to a true 'world car' There are few mechanical differences between the EU and North American versions, so we have a good idea about its towing abilities. Different countries impose different regulations on how car manufacturers specify towing limits, and whereas in the EU the 2.0 Litre Turbo Diesel Golf is rated to tow up to a 1600kg trailer, the Canadian regulations may force the manufacturer to specify a different limit for Canada.

Having seen several of the 'caravans' available in Canada, I am not surprised that VW do not rate the Golf as a tow vehicle over there, as many of the trailers will be heavier than the car. I am also aware that trailer nose weights in canada are somewhat heavier than those found in europe, and again the Golf's trailer nose weight limit may well be insufficient for typical Canadian trailers.

As for changing components to make your car more European, that will obviously depend on the regulations in Canada, but here in the EU, we can only fit towing devices that are "type" approved.

There could also be some significant differences in how the trailer's brakes are operated which may render any EU type components impossible to fit.

On a slightly more positive note, Most EU caravans are based on ALKO chassis. I believe ALKO operate in the USA, so they may be able to give you more guidance if you can find them.

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Well sure John, if you want an automatic transmission, 1/2 Ton full size pickup or the like, there's plenty to choose from.

Thing is, if you're not towing a LARGE motel room on wheels North American style caravan, you don't need a giant gas guzzling, poor handling and no fun to drive giant truck.

Towing a small utility trailer (or an ATV, Sea-doo etc) as I plan to, does not require a GIANT truck. Especially when 90% of the time it will be a commuter car.

I would never try to tow one of our gargantuan travel trailers or the like with either of these cars. I will be towing the above Utility/tent trailer that seems to have been edited from my original post...not sure how linking to my trailer constitutes advertising...particularly for a product I don't believe is even available in the UK but I digress...

The trailer is 1245lbs (565kg) with a tongue weight of 155lbs (70kg).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again JR,

I appreciate your desire to only tow a smaller trailer, hence considering a small car like the Golf. It EU style towing components via the internet, but you would have to check your Canadian regulations concerning the modification of cars and their uses, and whether parts not designed for the Canadian market can be used. As I mentioned, here in the UK and indeed the rest or Europe we are not allowed to use unapproved components.

The wiring is one area where you might experience difficulties with the EU products. We still use 7 wires for the essential road lights and we used to have a 7 pin connector. We are now using a 13, but the 7 road wires are still separable if needed. Most modern cars these days use a computer controlled CAN BUS system. These are programmed differently for different markets to suit local regulations. The lights and signalling requirements are different in Canada and the UK, and in some cases different light clusters are required. UK or EU wiring sets may not be compatible with the Canadian models or regulations.

It occurs to me that you might look at other brands that sell world models into both EU and N American such as
BMW
Ford
Mercedes
Volvo

Even some GM models will be virtual world cars their Malibu shares the same platform as the EU OPEL/Vauxhall Insignia

Food for thought?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
JRfromCanada said:
. I will be towing the above Utility/tent trailer that seems to have been edited from my original post...not sure how linking to my trailer constitutes advertising...particularly for a product I don't believe is even available in the UK but I digress...

The trailer is 1245lbs (565kg) with a tongue weight of 155lbs (70kg).

Moderator Note:
Your post was reported to moderators by forum members via the report tab as containing material which may have been interpreted as being promotional or potentially advertising.
This often happens when overseas visitors who have very recently become forum members include url links in posts, the spam or unauthorised illegal advertising can be 'hidden' in seemingly run of the mill comments in an attempt to escape the attention of forum moderators who'se task it is to remove unauthorised material from this forum and website.
Forum members are keen for our caravan forum to remain spam free and to this end they are also vigilant when unusual forum activity takes place.
I didn't see your material personally but the senior forum moderator who initially dealt with the matter decided to take no chances and edited your post.
If your comments did not contain advertising or promotional material we apologise, the rules of the forum can be seen by Clicking Here and we err on the side of caution when it comes to protecting our forum and it's membership from unauthorised illegal activity.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts