Advice on a 4 berth fixed bed single axle layout

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

We are currently looking into a changing our caravan and i am wondering if anyone with a fixed bed 4 berth van could tell me if this layout would be suitable and practical for our family of 2 adults and 2 kids aged 3 and 4.

I have spoken to a few people who regard this layout as best for a couple. I am wondering what it is like during day time use if there is ample space for a family of four? I am thinking that at night my hubby and myself will have the fixed bed and the kids can lie on the singles at the front rather than making up the double.

Any advice welcome

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
if you did the layout as you say where are you going to be during the time between their bed time and your bed time? Also you have much less daytime living space, which is okay in the summer I suppose but not so good in the cold and wet.

We have an amara 560/6 2007-2009 where the 2 fixed bunks are at the back and you still have a side dinette for a daytime and indeed 06:30 play area without having to pack anything away. Our daughter has been in the top bunk since she was 3 1/2 with no problems. If you don't like the price of the coachmans or the weight is an issue plenty of other makers do the layout. Much prefer this to the rear children area eveyone is producing now.

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
if you did the layout as you say where are you going to be during the time between their bed time and your bed time? Also you have much less daytime living space, which is okay in the summer I suppose but not so good in the cold and wet.

We have an amara 560/6 2007-2009 where the 2 fixed bunks are at the back and you still have a side dinette for a daytime and indeed 06:30 play area without having to pack anything away. Our daughter has been in the top bunk since she was 3 1/2 with no problems. If you don't like the price of the coachmans or the weight is an issue plenty of other makers do the layout. Much prefer this to the rear children area eveyone is producing now.
Hi martin24,

Thanks for your input. I think you are right i didnt think of the inbetween times before bed! We have looked at the bailey version of your caravan and the elddis 556. It is so hard to know which is the best layout for us as i was originally thinking 5 berth or 6 berth like yours but didnt want to rule out the 4 berth fixed bed but i think i have now.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sandra,

we went over the summer months dithering about what type of layout would suit us, therefore missing out valuable time for getting away.

This was going to be our first ever caravan and we wanted to be sure it would meet our needs, two of us, six year old and my mum.

After looking at the plethora of available layouts we started to see plus and minus points with them all, a bit like what you gain on the swings, you lose on the roundabout.

We came to the conclusion that a 4berth would be more than ample for us if we didn't have the mix of parents, grandparent six year old, mainly because we thought that during the colder months or rainy days the space was limitted due to the fixed bed for the wee yin to have some play. We eventually went for a 5 berth with the twin dinette, one at front and rear which can both be made into spacious double beds or singles at night, and also form a play area for young un during the day. I was quite surprised that the 5 berth actually has a lower mptlm (or whatever it's termed) than most 4 berths.

This layout is ideal for our specific needs, however, they will all do their job for you, it's the case of "whatever floats yer boat". Enjoy whatever ye choose.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
We have the coachman 4 berth fixed bed single axle. Its fab for the two of us but I think we'd have struggled if we'd had it earlier when the kids were young. The bench seats are that much shorter and that becomes noticable on the odd occasion we have four sitting in the same area.

When the kids were with us we had a Pageant Auvergne,single axle, don't know if there is anything similar around now. Dining area at both ends, small bathroom and wardrobe in the middle. If you wanted to you could make the smaller dining area into a double bed and leave it made up as you could shut it off during the day. If weather was bad you would have been able to pack the bed away and have a separate area for the kids to do their thing, particularly as they get older. (was actually a 5 berth but never used the bunk across the back). The kids are then able to go to bed earlier if they want to without disturbing adult time, alternatively they can go on the singles and you can use the double. My two teenagers used to go on the singles which are longer than those found on our fixed bed coachman. Sorted!

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We have the coachman 4 berth fixed bed single axle. Its fab for the two of us but I think we'd have struggled if we'd had it earlier when the kids were young. The bench seats are that much shorter and that becomes noticable on the odd occasion we have four sitting in the same area.

When the kids were with us we had a Pageant Auvergne,single axle, don't know if there is anything similar around now. Dining area at both ends, small bathroom and wardrobe in the middle. If you wanted to you could make the smaller dining area into a double bed and leave it made up as you could shut it off during the day. If weather was bad you would have been able to pack the bed away and have a separate area for the kids to do their thing, particularly as they get older. (was actually a 5 berth but never used the bunk across the back). The kids are then able to go to bed earlier if they want to without disturbing adult time, alternatively they can go on the singles and you can use the double. My two teenagers used to go on the singles which are longer than those found on our fixed bed coachman. Sorted!
Valerie, ye have just said exactly what i posted regarding the 5 berth layout. You have now moved to another which is tailored to suit yer individual needs. We will prob do that in some years tae come, but for now the layout we have does the job it says on the tin, as yours did. There are plenty available models with this layout, we visited numerous dealers to look at them all, most are almost identical, as i said, whatever floats yer boat. There are pros and cons with every available set up.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I know I seem to mention it at every opportunity BUT have you looked at the Adria Altea 612DT. Twin axle length on a single axle. Fixed bed, side dinette (bunks for children), long front sofas. No compromise on day time or night time space, except for washroom which is a bit small. Haven't got one but may well be our next van when we change ours.

mel

Jun 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

We have two young children (1 and 3) and recently went for the Bailey Senator California- side fixed bed with rear washroom. Our last 2 vans were double dinette 5 berth layouts but we got fed up with making beds up and waking up with sore backs due to the uneven cushions. We have no regrets with the change and actually wish we had done it sooner. The single beds at the front of the van are long enough for the kids until they are about 12 years old (longer than most of the other manufacturers with similar layout) and the rear washroom is great when it comes to shower time at night. When it comes to bed time we just fling sleeping bags on the front seats for kids and we sit in the awning (or in the winter we turn the tv round and sit up in bed- most relaxing!). During the day there is plenty of play space, particularly when you get the extra seating space at the front with the wrap around seating. Everybody is different though and you will inevitably find pros and cons with whichever layout you finally decide on- particularly when it is your first. Happy camping!

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Valerie, ye have just said exactly what i posted regarding the 5 berth layout. You have now moved to another which is tailored to suit yer individual needs. We will prob do that in some years tae come, but for now the layout we have does the job it says on the tin, as yours did. There are plenty available models with this layout, we visited numerous dealers to look at them all, most are almost identical, as i said, whatever floats yer boat. There are pros and cons with every available set up.
Sorry Highlander, if I see your name I tend to skip over the posts and not read them due to the way they are written with a seemingly over zealous need to let us know you are Scottish. I am sure we are all glad of our heritage but I personally don't find the need to write my posts in Cockney rhyming slang to attract attention to myself. Sorry if I posted the same as you but I didn't know you had been bestowed the honour of policing the posts - thought that was the moderator's job.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We've had a Bailey Provence which has a rear dinette which makes two short berths (4'3ish) for little ones or a big 4'3 x6'6 double plus a 2'x 6' bunk bed over for when there's another one. It's great when the kids go to bed coz you can shut the door on them. We use it as a fixed bed when the kids aren't with us (we are grandparents). It also give the kids a play/breakfast area for all their stuff at the rear of the van keeping the front tidy.

The washroom has a seperate shower cubicle and is big enough to do what you need to, much better than a wetroom arrangement.

It's up to you whether you make up the front into a big double or just use it as two singles. We've found two singles with big sleeping bags is easier than making up the bed with duvets etc but we've had years of experience with camping (in little tents)and boating with strange shaped bunks.

We thought we'd like a fixed bed but after sitting and thinking about it for a long time felt that over one third of the van taken up with a bed was just wasted space that isn't easy to use except for sleeping. Have a good look around and spend some time at dealers just sitting in the various vans and see how it would work for you.

All vans have their pros & cons and everyone has has an opinion, but in the end it's what works for you that counts.

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
We've had a Bailey Provence which has a rear dinette which makes two short berths (4'3ish) for little ones or a big 4'3 x6'6 double plus a 2'x 6' bunk bed over for when there's another one. It's great when the kids go to bed coz you can shut the door on them. We use it as a fixed bed when the kids aren't with us (we are grandparents). It also give the kids a play/breakfast area for all their stuff at the rear of the van keeping the front tidy.

The washroom has a seperate shower cubicle and is big enough to do what you need to, much better than a wetroom arrangement.

It's up to you whether you make up the front into a big double or just use it as two singles. We've found two singles with big sleeping bags is easier than making up the bed with duvets etc but we've had years of experience with camping (in little tents)and boating with strange shaped bunks.

We thought we'd like a fixed bed but after sitting and thinking about it for a long time felt that over one third of the van taken up with a bed was just wasted space that isn't easy to use except for sleeping. Have a good look around and spend some time at dealers just sitting in the various vans and see how it would work for you.

All vans have their pros & cons and everyone has has an opinion, but in the end it's what works for you that counts.
Hi

Over the years we have tried a range of different layouts.e started with an old two berth and then progressed to a Bail Pageant Bordeux in 2004. It was about two years old when we bought it. The fixed bed was a great idea as it meant not having to make the bed up and down. It also meant I could stay up late watching a movie whilst she got an early night down the other end of the van.

That said the fixed bed comes at a cost. Living space is much less in a fixed bed van. It was,nt until we changed to a 4 berth non fixed bed that we realised how much living space the fixed bed used.

Approx 3 years ago we bought a new Ace Award Nightstar(5 berth) which gives us the double dinnete. As ther are only the two of us we leave the rear dinnete down as a double bed. If we keep the van (currently thinking of a new van), tehn I will put double matress in in leue of cushions.

Last weekend we viewed the new Bialy Pegasus and we are about 90% sure we will be trading in our van. Having weighed up the pro/cons of fixed bed versus non fixed we are looking at buying the 462 3 berth as living space and bathroom huge.Out second choice would be the 514 which has the side dinnete thus allowing her indoors to have a lay in whilst I cook breakfast and set up dinning area.

Ultimatly only you can make decision and it might be worth you renting a van for a couple of weeks (some dealers provide this service)to see how you actualy get on with a fixed bed van. Your new van will not come cheap and maybe renting could help you decide.

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Over the years we have tried a range of different layouts.e started with an old two berth and then progressed to a Bail Pageant Bordeux in 2004. It was about two years old when we bought it. The fixed bed was a great idea as it meant not having to make the bed up and down. It also meant I could stay up late watching a movie whilst she got an early night down the other end of the van.

That said the fixed bed comes at a cost. Living space is much less in a fixed bed van. It was,nt until we changed to a 4 berth non fixed bed that we realised how much living space the fixed bed used.

Approx 3 years ago we bought a new Ace Award Nightstar(5 berth) which gives us the double dinnete. As ther are only the two of us we leave the rear dinnete down as a double bed. If we keep the van (currently thinking of a new van), tehn I will put double matress in in leue of cushions.

Last weekend we viewed the new Bialy Pegasus and we are about 90% sure we will be trading in our van. Having weighed up the pro/cons of fixed bed versus non fixed we are looking at buying the 462 3 berth as living space and bathroom huge.Out second choice would be the 514 which has the side dinnete thus allowing her indoors to have a lay in whilst I cook breakfast and set up dinning area.

Ultimatly only you can make decision and it might be worth you renting a van for a couple of weeks (some dealers provide this service)to see how you actualy get on with a fixed bed van. Your new van will not come cheap and maybe renting could help you decide.
Sorry the Pegasus 462 is a 2 berth and not a 3 berth as I stated(fat finger slip on keyboard)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts