Advice on buying . Swapping from Campervan

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi All
We would love some advice please ; due to a change in circumstances we are currently selling our beloved Mazda Bongo Campervan to purchase our first caravan. We know very little about caravans.
The situation is ; family of five, kids ages 13,4 & 8 months and our Bedlington terrier.

The Bongo has been our second car so from the sale around 6.5k we need to purchase a car and a caravan.

Our main car is a new Audi A3 2ltr TDI and our current thinking is to maybe not use this car to tow but instead use the second car we need to buy as a caravaning/ towing car- that way we won't run up lots of miles on the Audi etc??? So ideas on an ideal second car would be great please ? We've seen lots of freelanders around at reasonable prices?

We don't think a fixed bed would suit us as we want/ need for more space. So our thoughts are fixed bunks? Or a second lounge that converts to beds?

We have looked around a few caravan sales places but have little idea about what we need to look for ie damp? Electrics? Are some makes of vans more prone to repairs than others ? The Baileys seem to be far less expensive than the Swifts , why is this?

We really would appreciate some advice on what would be a good starting caravan to accommodate us all. We hope to use the van most weekends and take longer holidays of around 2 -3 weeks in the summer. Our eldest son doesn't always come with us on weekend trips and is now at an age where he's trying to come as little as possible- choosing to stay at nans and be pampered instead.

Does our budget sound fesiable for a car to tow and buy a decent caravan ?

Thank you in advance

Toni , Danny And the boys

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Toni & family, welcome to the forum.
Click Here to have a browse through the Caravan Buyers Guide which will hopefully help you to avoid the more common mistakes and pitfalls when buying your first tourer.
I use an old Mitsubishi Pajero Mk2 as my towing vehicle, it's bomb proof, they are cheap to buy and easy to maintain and will pull anything.
I moved your query to the Buyers Guide message board where it may attract more replies.
(EDIT) I noticed that you have an almost identical post on this message board so I've used that one.

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Great thank you for getting back to us , we'll have a read through the guide.
I've been reading about the Pajero, before I found this site I'd done some googling about the best cars to tow and various different sites / people suggested it- we'd never heard of it before but definitely sounds like its one worth looking into.
Thanks again

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The only drawback with a Pajero / Shogun is the low m.p.g. It can cost a fair bit of money for fuel at around 24mpg with a 2.8 turbo diesel but there's no on board computer on pre- 1999 / 2000 models so servicing, maintenance and repair costs (rarely needed) are low.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you are spending on the caravan but whatever it is it will be a fairly old one. At that age you really need to look at the condition of the caravan rather than worry about the age. As a layout if you can find it the double double dinette looks the best option to me. This has a double lounge at the front and another at the back and both make into double beds with a bunk lifting up over the rear one.
Go round the caravan with a damp meter. You follow the roof line round the sides and corners and along the floor. Get the owner to demonstrate all equipment is working and connect up to a car to check the road lights.
If buying privately make sure the owner can produce evidence of ownership and if p[ossible servicing. You can also do an HPI check but given the age I doubt it will be a problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts