Advice please - We're thinking of trying CL's...

May 15, 2005
Visit site
hi there, We are into our 2nd season of caravanning and started thinking of trying CL's. However not sure what they are like. We are worried about lack of facilities and the fact we currently don't use our shower/toilet other than for thru the night use, probably also because our current Toilet/Shower is the typical all in one compact room.. we are a family of 2 adults and 2 Children (age.5) are CL's suitable for families etc, how do others manage with the lack of facilities, do they use there own caravan to full use. Any comments and Advice would be much appreciated, also if you can recommend any good CL's in North East England or Cumbria would also be a bonus. Many Thanks, Andy.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andrew, like you we didn't try CLs right away. We eventually took the plunge last year and only after booking realised that we had booked one that only had electric hook-up and no shower/toilet block (although all CLs have to have access to fresh water and the means to empty the loo). It wasn't too far from home so decided to go for it at only

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Andrew.

We have a CL and as fare as we are concerned you have nothing to fear, but unlike club sites you will never find 2 cls the same. can I advise you look at WWW.armcher.com you will see they do DVDS of Cls it gives you a chance to see before you commit yourself for your first outing.

David from Suffolk

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Andrew,

Another web site for you to look at is:-

www.5van.co.uk

This gives a good description and usually has photos as well.

Maureen.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Not all Cls are basic quite a few have facilties as good as a normal site ,if you ever go to Cheddar in Somerset try this CL on page 421 of the CC book Mrs W Curtis clinton house Sharpham Rd Cheddar right next to Cheddar Reservoir ,large pitches and toilet facilities electric plus hardstanding for

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We use CL's alot, including those without EHU. We have no problems with just a tap and dustbin, it takes you back to what real caravanning is all about! :O)

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi Janet & John, the one we first went to was also in Settle and your description sounds v similar! It was called Layhead Farm and Rosemary that runs it is lovely. There is a play area and an indoor games room with DVDs/books that you can borrow for free. She also has self-catering cottages if you have any non-caravanning friends who want to holiday with you. We're going to a CL in Chester at the beginning of May,another at Caldbeck (N Lakes) at the end of May and a York CL for Aug Bank Hol! Going to France for the summer hols and using municipals for the overnighters!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Shirl - yes it was Layhead Farm, what a great place. I notice that you are going to a CL at York, which one is that, as we've tried loads in that area, as we are from Hull and its only an hours run from home. I do know of a little gem just outside York.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi Shirl - yes it was Layhead Farm, what a great place. I notice that you are going to a CL at York, which one is that, as we've tried loads in that area, as we are from Hull and its only an hours run from home. I do know of a little gem just outside York.
It's the Red House estate. Not been before but we are going with friends and have booked 4 pitches! They have their own website which you can link to from the CC website. If this isn't the same as your little gem, will you let me into the secret for another time?

Jan 4, 2007
Visit site
We use CL's all the time.

The whole atmosphere is so gentle and no hustle or bustle of a big site.

There is generally lots of grass to play on and the views can be amazing.

Many CL's have no electric, hence we use solar, permanently fitted to the roof. When there is no hook up, you will use more gas.

The only down side to CL's is that occasionally, one CL near Cheddar particularly sticks in my mind, is that the entrance can be narrow, or a lack of room to turn into the site.

This however has happened only three times in perhaps 30 or 40 CL's.

CL's are generally between

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts