Advice required - Swift Dealer

May 11, 2006
Visit site
We bought a new swift caravan last year and from the word go have had problems with the rear lights. Our first trip out they failed and my husband spent most of the weekend trying to fix them so that we could return home safely. We informed the dealership who eventually, after several weeks of phonecalls, sent an engineer out. My husband explained that all the points in the lights were badly corroded so the engineer just cleaned them up and went on his way. Nearly a year later still having problems and reflective material on inside of lights is all peeling away. A different engineer has been out once and has replaced the whole of one light unit and said he would also get us the other one as he did not have it on the van at the time - we are still waiting. Just come Back from weekend away and all lights completely failed - even new unit. We've also noticed that the connection between van and car is really corroded. We have owned the van now for nearly a year so are hoping that these faults can be fixed before the year is up especially as we're of to France in July. Are we within our rights to ask that all the outside lights/sockets be replaced and any other advice? It's like pulling teeth getting anything out of the dealership. Apart from these problems we are really pleased with our Swift van.

Apr 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi liz, well as you may see my rant about Swift leisure (dealer specials), I see someone else is being fobbed off by them and there so called warranty.

I would suggest you contact them directly like I have done, then now you have already had a problem and they have tried to fix it but failed, is to threaten them with court action and that you will take it to the consumer affairs if it is not fixed to your satisfaction.

Dont worry you are not on your own here, as I going to get satisfaction whatever it takes!

This caravan industry wants a good shake up. I going to make sure of that.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
I wonder whether they are just treating the symptom by replacing the light unit, and the real cause is an electrical fault causing electolytic corrosion in the aluminium, probably a short somewhere so that the van body is being used as part of the electrical circuit.

I would let them know that unless they solve the fundamental problem, you will be taking it to a proper auto electrical engineer (who should have the proper kit to trace miniscule current leaks), and sending them the bill.

May 11, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for advice. Engineer contacted us today and is coming out at end of week. We'll see what he's got to say but if we're not happy we'll take it further.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
We bought a new Swift Charisma in september last year and over the winter the chrome in the rear lights started to corrode. Took it back to the dealer (salop caravans) and the lights replaced under warrenty - no problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts