Advice sought for a budget tug - any experience of these:

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
...any of these? My situation has changed a bit and I won't be buying a Freelander TD4 now, but I'll hopefully soon be in a position to buy a cheap, large tug, but have never had a 4x4 before. It doesn't need to be a year round daily, it will get left for several weeks at a time, sometimes neglected. etc.

The budget will be up to around £1500, and it will be between a P (to carry my cherished number) and an X reg (to avoid emissions based tax).

Now, has anyone had an experience of any of these? I'm not looking for tales of woe you've read on the 'net, or "my mum's neighbour's uncle's boss's daughter broke down in one" type stories - I've read all those myself, some are good, some are bad. What do you really know about these, and if it were you, where would your money go?

Land Rover Discovery 300TDi - like these, but maybe a little cumbersome and perhaps unreliable and rustprone?

Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero 2.8 diesel - I'll look like a pikey, and they're really cramped in the front, so not the best choice.

Ford Maverick/Nissan Terrano II 2.7TD - the sensible option?

Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD - like these, but are they reliable?

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.5TD - same as baby brother.

Isuzu Trooper/Vauxhall Monterey 3.1(?)TD - the police used them, so they can't be that bad, can they?

Vauxhall Frontera diesel (later coil-spring example) - are they really that bad, 'cause they look great?

Any thoughts? Anything similar I've missed?

Thanks in advance.

Dale

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dale without doubt go for the 3.1 Isuzu or a Toyota Land cruiser/fourunner 3 ltr (not the 2.4 ltr Both vehicles are bombproof and cheap.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dale - you have not stated fully for what use the vehicle is to be put. I am towing with a R reg 1998 Daihatsu Fourtrack 2.8TDI and with 110000 miles on the clock she is towing brilliantly. I am getting approx. 30 mpg whilst towing and local around town etc., and approx 36mpg solo on a long run. The down side is that it is only three doors so when grandchildren with us either wife or self has to get out for them to have access to back seat. The other point is that they are very popular with the farming fraternity so if you should consider one have a look at its history. We towed Bridgend to Paignton within 3 hours on Bank Holiday Monday with no trouble.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I must admit the Fourtrack is a little too utilitarian for my tastes.

I really fancy a Disco, but the reality is that I'll struggle to get a decent 300tdi at my budget.

The one that's appealing more and more is the Maverick/Terrano II 2.7TDi. Are they any good?

It'll be used solo around town (Milton Keynes, so all dual carriageways and roundabouts) and towing across the UK. It won't be a daily driver, as I use a motorcycle for commuting unless the weather's horendous. I'd like to see maybe 22-25mpg around town, and 25+mpg towing...

Dale

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
We were pitched near a couple in Cornwall last year who towed with an S plate Terrano. I really thought it looked the part and he was good enough to let me have a good look at it. The guy really rated it. His journey had took him 15 hours due to the floods on the M5 but the car never complained.

We ended up swapping our Mondeo for a Terrano earlier this year and dont regret it one bit. Ours is an 05 plate but to be honest, apart from a redesigned front, the two cars look virtually identical.

Compared to other makes we looked at you just seem to get a lot more car for the money with the Terrano so that would be my choice.

Best of luck, Martin.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
From memory I think the Terrano is the better of the 2 (i.e Maverick / Terrano), better specc'd and slightly better visually.

I also have something in my mind that the engine is slightly better as well. But cant be sure.

I'd go for the Terrano or Isuzu.

I used to Off road an Isuzu and they were the dogs danglies.

About 12/14 years ago I was invited to an Off road event where the competitors were all either military or police force teams. All manner of vehicles took part and the Isuzu were way and above the best vehicles there. In fact they were used by the marshalls. On one stage they were the only vehicles to get through a section on Salibury plains without assistance.

Blimey I've gone all notalgic now remembering my mispent yoof

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
for utter reliability,try a late fourtrack,like colin ive got one ,after his advise.tremendes pulling power,very cheap,a proper built engine(cast iron head)and ive yet to see one on the hard shoulder.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Seth,

I have a similar gameplan as you, just use the car as a tug and workhorse and it gets little use in winter months.

My choice is a petrol Shogun SWB X reg (new shape).

Fantastic indestuctable towcar and probably no more to run than a diesel but much cheaper to buy - you will probably find one at your bugdet if you look hard because people have this fixation about them being gas guzzling monsters.

Better torque from a diesel yes but with 200HP plus and a super smooth 3.5V6 who needs all that clatter and smoke.

My second choice would be an Isuzu Trooper 3.1 or V6 but they are very trucklike to drive - I got rid of mine for that reason and went back to a Shogun.

The new shape have proper IRS and a delightful auto box which make them almost carlike to drive and boy do they fly if you want them to!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Seth - after all the years I have been on a caravan forum I am glad at least one person has listened to me. I will take your reply as a compliment and now lie down to regain my composure - thank you sir for retoring my faith in the human race.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with colin(bridgend)(well I have to, don't I? we're both Welshmen!). The Daihatsu is pretty well bomb-proof, but I find a bit too basic for my taste. Why not look at a late model (94/95) Range Rover classic? Put it on LPG, and you'll have reasonable economy,too. Find a good'un and all of the problems that they were prone to will have been sorted, and a 4.2 LSE model is not much short of Rolls Royce luxury. Lots of people on here will decry the Range Rover, but I speak from over twelve years experience, of both the cars and LPG, and believe me, for value for money, just at the moment, they are hard to beat. Make sure its a Classic, though, and not a P38, because that's another story altogether!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Emmerson - that is two contributors who have agreed with me - I could be on a role here. However from the wording of your contribution I must assume that you are one of the upper crust of Welsh society and not in the lower league of us serfs.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Dale,

I too were in your position a few months ago, needed to change my towcar, but never had a 4x4 before. After asking others who tow, most recommended the Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun 2.8TD LWB,

a good old workhorse and reliable. I chose a Pajero over the Shogun as you get more gadgets than the Shoguns for less

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Dale,

I too were in your position a few months ago, needed to change my towcar, but never had a 4x4 before. After asking others who tow, most recommended the Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun 2.8TD LWB,

a good old workhorse and reliable. I chose a Pajero over the Shogun as you get more gadgets than the Shoguns for less

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good choice - we have a Maverick, 1997 P-reg, had it just short of 3 years and it's so reliable. Have had a new ignition and new clutch but overall - great. Enough gadgets and very comfortable. Only complaint is the sun-roof cover rattles a bit! Fuel consumption is ok, could be a little better, but it's done 130,000 miles and still going. Has passed MOT's first time and still looks a smart car, no rust. Our tax is

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good choice - we have a Maverick, 1997 P-reg, had it just short of 3 years and it's so reliable. Have had a new ignition and new clutch but overall - great. Enough gadgets and very comfortable. Only complaint is the sun-roof cover rattles a bit! Fuel consumption is ok, could be a little better, but it's done 130,000 miles and still going. Has passed MOT's first time and still looks a smart car, no rust. Our tax is

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts