Aftermarket TPMS system.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
AT this time of year I am normally looking to buy my next worthless gadget, but this year is going to be different. I am going to invest finally in an aftermatket TPMS which will include the caravan tyres.

Here is the million dollar question, which one. I am not looking at any specific budget, but rather I am looking for something proper, not an Azazon twenty quid special. Has anybody bought a TPMS or researched them? Any help greatly received.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
We have had the tyre pall system on our last 2 Caravans with no problems and if you are in the caravan and motorhome club you can get 20% off.
Hope this helps

Reactions: Thingy
May 24, 2014
Visit site
The only drawback I can see is continually resetting it when you raise and lower your tyre pressures for towing, unless you set them with a general tolerance. How long do your batteries last in use and how long does the screen hold charge for.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
If I remember correctly you set up the high pressure alert also the low pressure alert and also high temperature alert, and also if a tyre loses pressure quickly the alert sounds, as for battery life it would depend on mileage as the sensors go into sleep mode when not rotating as does the monitor.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have had tyre Pal unit on the Caravan, batteries are well over three years old, mind you hardly used them in the last 18 months. Screen unit batteries I recon would run for over 18 hours.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think Im going to take the plunge and order one. Did you get a sensor for your spares too. Wouldnt life be grand if both car and caravan spare were the same.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You get the unit plus 4 sensors however you can add on another 8. You could have 5 for the car and 5 for the caravan if it is a TA. However the sensors for the spare wheel will probably not wake up as no rotation. I thin 8 is ideal if the car does nto have TPMS. My 2013 Shogun never had TPMS, but I never bothered with 4 for the Shogun. I compromised with inflating and deflating and took the average pressure and left it at that as a right pain inflating and deflating the Shogun tyres! Glad to see the back of it even thouhg it was super reliable.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The only drawback I can see is continually resetting it when you raise and lower your tyre pressures for towing, unless you set them with a general tolerance. How long do your batteries last in use and how long does the screen hold charge for.

In reality, in our context, it only matters critically if your tyre pressures drop. That, they increase in pressure and or temperature when in use are facts of life about which you can do nothing and in all honesty most of us know nothing about the real relevance.
However, the pressure dropping from the cold inflation pressure, whilst in use really means a puncture.
So with the question about changing set values for towing solo and indeed loading is all of no importance or needed, set to the lowest of all these, minus a psi, and if the system throws up a warning you need to act toot sweetly.
The unit displays the running value so you can monitor the actual value if really academically interested in the situation under differing running conditions and mentally compare it with what you know it ought to be.
You will very quickly see a pattern of how things change with running, ambient, sun-side, rain, speed, road condition, towing and vehicle loading. Be prepared to see big changes on the caravans highly loaded tyres.
As said, the only thing that matters is knowing they don't drop, only that without being a tyre scientist can mean anything to need getting a warning about.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have found that my tyres on the caravan rise, from 65psi cold to about 72 psi after about 3 miles, the temperatures rise by about 6 to 10c above the ambient temp. It is really scary at first, but once you get used to the readings and they are constant, its ok.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
You would be surprised how much of a problem heat build up can cause. We used to work Italy and Spain, and the number of tyres we lost in summer, compared to winter was astounding. The only difference of course being heat.

When buying tyres, they, as you know rate them for speed, economy grip and decibels, but in this day and age where most new cars are fitted with TPMS, it may be that in future, a safe running temperature would be included.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You would be surprised how much of a problem heat build up can cause. We used to work Italy and Spain, and the number of tyres we lost in summer, compared to winter was astounding. The only difference of course being heat.

When buying tyres, they, as you know rate them for speed, economy grip and decibels, but in this day and age where most new cars are fitted with TPMS, it may be that in future, a safe running temperature would be included.
In theory at least, the speed rating takes care of the heat build-up at higher speeds.

Not all TPMS has sensors in the wheel - some work using the ABS sensors which can detect the greater revolution rate of a tyre starting to deflate.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The TyrePal after market TPMS based on sensors replacing the stem caps, can't IMO have a clue of the tyre carcass temperatures.

The spinning wheel will through centripetal force throw air away from the outside, so drawing air from elsewhere via the wheel centre, thus passing new air over the TyrePal sensor; in reality cooling it, not sensing the carcass's temperature. [Might warn of dragging brake shoe]

The tyre pressure itself will better reflect the tyre's running temperature.

All that said, unless you are really are up with the polymer technology of your actual tyre specification, have you any idea where the tyre's temperature becomes critical?

Reactions: Dustydog and Thingy
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
All that said, unless you are really are up with the polymer technology of your actual tyre specification, have you any idea where the tyre's temperature becomes critical?

We have to assume that the tyre's temperature won't become critical provided that it's operated within its rated speed/load and within normal range of ambient temperature.

Reactions: JTQ
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The tyrepal system is giving you, a visible indication of what is happening in real time,of pressure and temerature, and will give an audable warning of a rapid difference to the limits you have set.
To either allow you to stop before a blow out or after a decrease in pressure or increase in temp.
I think the system is a bonus to safe towing of trailers.

Reactions: JTQ
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have ordered one now, but have also emailed them to ask the question about temperatures as I agree with JTQ about the external sensor and temperature. Be interesting to see their response. I will post it as soon as I have their answer.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The tyrepal system is giving you, a visible indication of what is happening in real time,of pressure and temerature, and will give an audable warning of a rapid difference to the limits you have set.
To either allow you to stop before a blow out or after a decrease in pressure or increase in temp.
I think the system is a bonus to safe towing of trailers.

Indeed the system is a bonus, IMO a big one to safe towing of trailers.
One that can save a high percentage of its cost, and massive amounts of hassle.
Even moving the van to our car with the motor mover usually wakes up the sensors, so a glance we know the tyre pressures are correct before or at worst a few hundred metres after moving away.
Then its primary advantage, know if you have picked up a typical slow puncture on route, with that's safety implications, including finding a safe pull in.
A spin off of that, without overly running on a deflating tyre, the tyre is good for repair, that bringing money saving.
Together with the potential to limit the hassle to changing to the spare and getting the puncture fixed, as opposed to the mega hassle a blow out can bring, including van bodywork repairs.

IMO, one of the best multi advantage, yielding add on features we can invest in.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I have ordered one now, but have also emailed them to ask the question about temperatures as I agree with JTQ about the external sensor and temperature. Be interesting to see their response. I will post it as soon as I have their answer.

Our TB99 version suggests "the temperature warning can be conveniently left at the default 70 C." or wording to the same.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our TB99 version suggests "the temperature warning can be conveniently left at the default 70 C." or wording to the same.
Thinghy, just reading my booklet for the TC 215B system , and it states the battery in the monitor when fully charged will be good for 60 hours of use.
I think you will be impressed with the system. It has given me a lot more confidence with the towing of our caravan, especially as we have Tyron Bands Fitted.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Talk to you about that at the Woosie fest. , undecided now I have the tyre pal, . I still like the idea. . But I have seen a picture of someone ( Gafferbill) with shredded tyre where it stayed on the rim , which is the idea of it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thinghy, just reading my booklet for the TC 215B system , and it states the battery in the monitor when fully charged will be good for 60 hours of use.
I think you will be impressed with the system. It has given me a lot more confidence with the towing of our caravan, especially as we have Tyron Bands Fitted.
To be realistic about it, the monitor probably only reads about once every 20-30 minutes unless there is an actually change in tyre pressure which is why the battery lasts about 60 hours.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts