age of caravan

Jan 29, 2008
Visit site
Anyone here know how to find out the true age of a caravan?

Ours has many serial numbers and such on windows and hitch...but what do I look for to tell the age.

If it makes any difference ours is an Eriba Pan Duo.

Christine and John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The 10th digit of the VIN number on the window gives the model year (Sept-Aug).

N-Y = '92-'00

1-9 = '01-'09

So 8 in position 10 means a model built between Sep 2007 and Aug 2008.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Christine,

It does make a difference - most Eriba won't be CRiS registered - the Eriba serial numbers don't fit in with the CRiS numbering scheme - and none of the Eriba owners who tought about this process liked the idea of the CRiS agent removing the Hymer (Eriba) data plate to replace it with CRiS plate.

As you know it to be a Pan, a model now known as the Familia, it was built prior to 2000.

You should have a data plate near the door - and it should have three pairs of digits like this:

VGN Pan 55 06 02 - if you can tell me what you have instead of the 55 - that's the year code for your model

Much of this information is on the Eriba-Amiga web-site and / or the UK Eriba Forum.

If the data plate has been removed - then I can advise where to look on the custom-made AL-KO chassis for the chassis build date (the Pan can't be older than the chassis), and other places that are date stamped.

Robert

Jan 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Christine,

It does make a difference - most Eriba won't be CRiS registered - the Eriba serial numbers don't fit in with the CRiS numbering scheme - and none of the Eriba owners who tought about this process liked the idea of the CRiS agent removing the Hymer (Eriba) data plate to replace it with CRiS plate.

As you know it to be a Pan, a model now known as the Familia, it was built prior to 2000.

You should have a data plate near the door - and it should have three pairs of digits like this:

VGN Pan 55 06 02 - if you can tell me what you have instead of the 55 - that's the year code for your model

Much of this information is on the Eriba-Amiga web-site and / or the UK Eriba Forum.

If the data plate has been removed - then I can advise where to look on the custom-made AL-KO chassis for the chassis build date (the Pan can't be older than the chassis), and other places that are date stamped.

Robert
This is the numbers that appear on the plate by the side of door.

There are also weights, but I understand them.

vgnpanfam00252669

Not sure if the 'o's are noughts or letters.

we know its quite old.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Christine,

Sorry, that's the serial number part of the data plate.

You need to provide the three sets of paired numbers. Just write down everything on the plate and post here.

Robert

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
RogerL said : "N-Y = '92-'00"

Can you explain what letters mean what ?

Is it the same as the regestration of a car ?

The 10th Digit of my van is W which is 2000/2001 in the car system which is wrong as it is 98/99 build ?

Is this the system :

N 92

P 93

R 94

S 95

T 96

V 97

W 98

Y 00

If so it is right W - 98

Can you put me right

Jan 29, 2008
Visit site
On cupboard just inside door theres a plate with:

aufbau-nr 593601

on plate by door is this:

vgnpanfam00252669

68700 cernay

plus weights...690/850/75 kg

can you tell age by any of this?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Christine,

I think so, assuming there were no transcription errors:

68700 Cernay - is the postcode for the Eriba factory in Cernay, Haut-Rhin, Frace - just over the border from Germany...

Weight:

690 kg is the empty weight

850 kg is the maximum allowed weight

giving you a payload of 140 kg for a gas bottle, clothes, awning, etc

75 kg is the maximum nose-weight (downwards force) for the tow-coupling

59 36 01

The 59 part means year 9 from decade 5 (which is 1980 + 9) or 1989

So if you have found the right code - then it's a 1989 Pan - and if you don't think that's correct, look on the draw-bar around where the gas bottle pod sits and look for the ALKO data plate - that should have something like BJ 1988 or BJ 1989. BJ = Build year (in German) and the chassis will have been built a few months before the caravan - so could state 1988 or 1989

Robert

Apr 13, 2008
Visit site
Another method of checking 'age' is to look at various components around the caravan. Those that have a safety critical design will almost certainly have some sort of date coding. A large number of similar date codes will give you a very good indication. Emailing the caravan manufacturer will give you a definative date. We did this once with a Tabbert caravan we once owned and Tabbert in Germany were very helpful. In fact, the date they provided, was the same virtually as the date stamped onto the windows. Don't forget, in today's age, manufacturers tend not to stock pile (bought) parts, they come from suppliers as needed.

John

Jan 29, 2008
Visit site
Well, we cannot find any number that starts with a 'BJ' but did find the following:

AL-KO

DGM 42282

R2/S 1989.....(we are thinking this could be the age?)

RDW 10010098

+ in a box..... CU

NA

Complicated 'innit!

C&J

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Cristine,

That's two pieces of information that (so far) suggest that your Duo is a 1989 model - the 59 code from the data plate, and what seems to be 1989 in the right place on the AL-KO chassis plate

The fridge and the heater both have a data plate - if they say 1988 or 1989 then that would be excellent confirmation.

The Eriba wheels also have a year code stamped into them - but to see this you need to remove a wheel from the Duo - and they may have been changed anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts