Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I've just read in a Caravan Magazine about 'the loss of towing entitlement at 70'
I've looked on the directgov website and although there's information about reapplying
for licence, I can't find a mention of this subject.
If it is so, it's not worth me buying a van.???????
smiley-undecided.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Red Mick said:
I've just read in a Caravan Magazine about 'the loss of towing entitlement at 70'
I've looked on the directgov website and although there's information about reapplying
for licence, I can't find a mention of this subject.
If it is so, it's not worth me buying a van.???????
smiley-undecided.gif

It depends on the weight of the outfit you want to tow. If its under 3500kgs then there is no problem but my understanding is that if the potential max weight of the outfit (not actual weight) is over 3500kgs you have to have a medical at your own expense to prove you are still medically able to carry on towing larger outfits. I think also the medical has to be done every 3 years but not certain on that. ( I am sure someone will correct me) Its all a nonsense because they are expecting people to work longer so they should move the age when these extra tests are required to say 75 if at all.
David

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.............at age 70, driving licences expire and must be renewed every three years thereafter.
From January 1st 1997 new drivers have been required to pass additional tests for categories B+E, C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E but existing holders of a general car licence at that date were effectively given ‘grandfather’ rights to the new categories until renewal.
These ‘grandfather’ rights, however, are not renewed automatically upon reaching the age of 70.
So if you wish to retain them after 70, you must ask to do so and will need to provide a medical certificate with the renewal request.
A medical certificate is not required for category B + E alone if you are not renewing
C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E

...........a B category licence entitles you to drive an outfit up to 4250kgs (subject to conditions) and will be renewed automatically subject to your declarations on the application form.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The law hasn't changed yet - although there is some discussion that the +E entitlement MIGHT be lost at age 70.
The present rules are here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022086 and here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067672.pdf
It's necessary to have a medical to retain any C1 or D1 entitlement and it's necessary to make a medical declaration to retain all other groups but there's no evidence that that the +E towing entitlement is removed at age 70.
I currently have C1+E from a pre-1997 licence - I've already established with DVLA that although my health conditions will preclude renewal of C1 and therefore my C1+E, but my B+E entitlement will remain intact.
Whilst there's concern about FUTURE changes it hasn't happened yet and posters in this thread are spreading panic unneccessarily.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Of more concern for a lot of people will be the latest proposals from Europe with regard to insulin dependent diabetics, namely losing their right to drive on medical grounds.

Steve W

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for your input
smiley-smile.gif

So, my parchment licence
smiley-smile.gif
(no, I didn't see a man with a red flag) covers me to drive almost anything formerly A,D and E
although the blurb states that "...trailers......showing on your licence as C1E (107) "???? I haven't got that????
then, when I'm 70, I apply for renewal with the various sub categories, yes?

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Steve W

Can you expand on, or post a link, that will say more about insulin dependant diabetics not being allowed to drive. As one who's just changed our car at a fair bit of expense this is a major concern

Thanks

john

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
steve w77 said:
Of more concern for a lot of people will be the latest proposals from Europe with regard to insulin dependent diabetics, namely losing their right to drive on medical grounds.
In order to have a common understanding throughout Europe what one is allowed to drive and what not when crossing borders, vehicle and weight categories are commonly agreed throughout the EU, but this does not apply to any restrictions based on age or medical grounds. Every country is free to make such restrictions as they see fit. For example, here in Germany there is no upper age limit, but on the other hand one may not drive a bus or a taxi if you need to wear glasses. To my knowledge, the conditions elsewhere are different.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It was an article I read in the paper this week, trouble is I read so many papers that I can't remember which one. Sorry.

It attracted my attention, as I am a type 2 non insulin dependent diabetic at the moment, but of course that can change at any time.
Basically, the article said that anyone who had a history of Hypoglycemic or Hyperglycemic incidents even if they occurred when you were asleep, could have their entitlement to a licence revoked.
Steve W

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
No need to panic as RogerL says
…………. you just need to protect your driving category entitlements.

See why here :-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/04/dvla_removing_license_entitlem.html

Be careful the DVLA does not remove the +E entitlement to your B category when you renew at 70.

You are entitled to keep it if you passed your B category before January 1st 1997 and thus awarded it under 'grandfather rights'

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Steve

Thanks for replying, after my panic subsided I did a quick Google. There are draft proposals that as you say will affect those who suffer severe hypoglycemic incidents, so not too bad, just don't have 2 within 12 months

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts