AGM battery

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Do you need to vent an AGM battery? If not, then there should be no issue moving it from the front locker to under the island bed immediately to the rear of the axle.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
AGM battery must still be vented here why
AGM Batteries are a type of valve- regulated lead acid battery they are maintenance- free in the sense of not requiring the addition of water to offset hydrogen gas released during the charging process

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Under normal operating conditions AGM batteries should not expel any gasses or chemicals, but as with most types of batteries under fault conditions they can leak or even explode chemicals that you don't want to come into contact with.

For that reason alone you should consider all battery types as potentially dangerous and house them in a some sort of containment enclosure.

For as second reason though, if or when you sell your caravan if there is a clear battery box then teh new user will be less tempted to have an unprotected battery.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
AMG batteries only need to be vented to the Atmosphere they do not need to be in a sealed box vented to the outside like wet batteries and can mount on there sides or ends if needed

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Two posters say no need to vent and one poster says AGM needs to be vented. We do have an AGM battery in the caravan and as far as I can determine it is not vented.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee has AGM battery which is under the passenger seat. I am told that Jeep use AGM in case of a roll over to prevent acid spilling on occupants.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I repeat Under Normal Operating Conditions, AGM batteries should not expel any gasses or chemicals.

Just think of how many people contact the forum about battery charger problems, and how many batteries may have been damaged by them - Its for those fault circumstances where having fully room sealed battery containment is more than sensible.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Do you need to vent an AGM battery? If not, then there should be no issue moving it from the front locker to under the island bed immediately to the rear of the axle.
I'm not sure if my Elecsol110 Carbon battery was AGM but it was sealed and lasted 10 years. This summer while away on electric hook up it overheated (too hot to touch) and swelled in size. As the Prof says "Under Normal Conditions" . . But you never know when normal conditions change.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if my Elecsol110 Carbon battery was AGM but it was sealed and lasted 10 years. This summer while away on electric hook up it overheated (too hot to touch) and swelled in size. As the Prof says "Under Normal Conditions" . . But you never know when normal conditions change.
Elecsol were not AGM, but you got a good life from it at 10 years.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I have direct experience of AGM batteries failing, and regret I didn't photograph the removed battery. It was an Odyssey (that one was actually made by Hawker Siddley), and one of a domestic bank of three on my (then) newly purchased boat in 2005. Odyssey batteries are a definite premium range.

Ok, the guts of the story... The domestic bank was failing to hold charge, and I discovered one of them was warm. When removed the battery was bulging... Therefore it CANNOT possibly have been vented... The boat was marina based, and had been plugged into the mains, but only had a completely dumb Zig charger

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts