Air awnings

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
These seem to be getting very popular and I can see the attractions. However, looking at the advertisements I am struck by the very large increase in effective footprint compared to the conventional awning due to the need to have guylines in three directions. This may be well and good on sites with big pitches or on farm CLs but on many of the continental campsites the pitches are generally much smaller and I feel it may be difficult to get car caravan and awning onto many of them.
My second reservation is related to the movement of the "poles:" against the side of the caravan and the damage which may be caused due to movement in windy weather. (See my current posting about Kampa limpets).
Third is the potential tripping hazard of all the guylines to small and excitable children, anyone in the dark, and to elderly caravaners returning home after convivial evenings.
I have seen two destroyed in moderate to high winds on a Spanish site - wind which flapped but did not otherwise damage conventional awnings but cannot know whether damage was due to inherent unsuitability or poor pitching technique ( and the owners were clearly not in a mood to be asked)
Comments appreciated

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Ray ,
We have the kampa rally pole awning 390 , whenever we are on a site wether that'd be a CL site or a club site regardless of the size of the pitch when our awning goes up all of my guy ropes are pegged down , thats 2 corner ones and 2 middle ones and if I think the weather is going to be bad I have a clip for an additionial 3 storm straps to go into the ground securing it even more . We've got two kids but once the thing is pegged and down and secure the kids know that they are there, they are bright yellow so highly visible to see . There is still plenty of room on our pitch once this is done and that is with a largish tow veichle and large van . It shouldn't cause a hazard to anyone else walking around because they shouldn't be in the bit where the ropes are put into the ground. ;)
Craig .

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
You are obviously not a fan of air awnings Ray but apart from making that clear what is the point of your post? Are we supposed to agree with you or try and convince you to go and buy one?

For the record I use an air awning, a Kampa 360 together with their excellent Limpit retainers. It has survived gale force winds and heavy rain storms without any problem so I guess I could be classed as happy on that front.

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I have bought a fiesta air pro to go with my new Corniche, not used it yet but have seen several in the shows etc. It is new in the box, bought by the bloke I got it off (half price :) ).
It has the rear poles and roof lining.
How important are the limpets?
Just need to pick up an annexe for it so we can accommodate our brood should they decide to visit

Kev

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Ray I completely agree with all of your observations.

Whilst on holiday during storm Doris in February, people were having to take theirs down in the wind, they were buckling and buffeting so much things in the awnings were getting damaged so I assume there was also a risk of awning damage from the inside. Our Isabella Magnum and 3 others on site at the time didn't budge an inch.

In addition there's the additional weight lugging the air tubes as well as the awning main body. There also seem to be quite a few in classified ads up and down the country considering the relatively short time they've been available.

I think they are certainly dividing opinion as much as Marmite.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think it'st like Martin says Marmite, we have an Suncamp air awning 260 for 3 day trips and a carbon poled one for longer times away.We use them for storeing the dogs beds and wet coats not for sitting in or sleeping family rug rats, yet. Each to there own.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dodger I am neither a fan nor a critic of air awnings and you are not supposed to try to convince me of anything. I have owned a caravan for more than 50 years and have seen many innovations in that time but not all of them have lasted very long e.g. Wind deflectors . Being the age I and my wife have now achieved I look for anything which may reduce the workload involved and had been wondering whether an air awning might be easier than our current metal framed porch awning.
So thank you for your input and I am glad you are happy with your awning and do not seem to be having the problems that others report with awnings and limpets.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ray, Having both an Air awning and a polled one, The peģing out with the guy lines do not vary to me the are the same, and both of ours have vivid yellow to assist in the dark.
But my dogs still get wrapped around them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray
Like Hutch we have air and poled awnings, we do not find the need to use the guy lines on our air awning, we just use the 2 corner straps, so no different to poled awning with tie down fitted,the air is easier and quicker to put up, the bag is smaller than the poled porch and the weight of the air awning is the same as the poled porch without the poles, also all in one bag as opposed to two. We are very pleased with our air awning,and will definitely have another when the time comes, my main gripe with air awnings in general is the cost,I suspect the manufacturers are cashing in on the trend, especially some of the more established names, I have found examples different 390 air awnings varying from £400 to £1600, it really comes down to what you are prepared to pay and which is your choice,as has been said it is Marmite, be a bit sad if we all had the same awning on the same van pulled b y the same tow car.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
We go round in circles on this subject.

This thread is from 14 months ago:
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/general/53521-awning-purchase-manufacturer-model-reviews

Having come to the caravan from a motorhome where there were similar discussion at the advent of the quick erect Kyham drive away awning in compare to 'traditional' fixed awnings, and now inflatable drive away awnings no doubt stirring the same debate. Our Kyham gave us 8 years sterling service, and continues to give same service to our friends we passed it onto after another 3 seasons.

In respect of cost there does appear as always, an increase as things become popular. However yesterday I saw a Bradcot Offer in the CAMC magazine (P27) for an Aspire Air 390-2 for £699 vs £1055. That is £200 less than we paid for our MkI 3 years ago when we ordered at the NEC show. Pays to look around.

As the above linked thread, our Aspire Air stood up to storms that brought down Issabella traditional awnings.

The Aspire Air has additional 'storm' straps that are available to peg out, although we only used this once, and not in the aforementioned storm in Cornwall. Only used them to see how they fitted and they caused no trip hazards, but then I'm of the generation and background wot does look around where I'm going.

As with the days of the MH and Kyham vs traditional, there were stones thrown around the pegging out time. Overall start to finish there was nothing in it practically wise. Our Air awning is a one man job if I'm on my own.

We are more than happy with our air awning and can see it giving years more service. It has been easy to put up wherever we have required it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had the Kampa Air Ace and what a faff to erect it as it was very heavy to drag through the awning rail. It also took just as long as erecting a traditional awning. Quality was not that good and after using it about 5 times we put it on classifieds and sold it at a loss and bought a Coal Magnum porch awning. It seemed to suffer a lot from condensation something we do not have a with our traditional Magnum Coal.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have a Kampa rally air 390 and have used it quite a bit over the last 3 or 4 years. We have a full poled awning used for two months on a seasonal pitch and previously had a porch poled awning. From out of the bag up to pegging down the Air awning is quicker and easier than the previous poled porch awning. Pegging down takes about the same time. The air awning has stood up to strong winds. Condensation can be an issue if used in cold weather, although leaving decent ventilation at night generally solves it.
All this is my experience anyway.
I do think Air awnings are increasingly overpriced though.
Mel

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
We've had a Kampa Rally poled and now the air - in the bag they weigh much the same however the air is a bit more difficult to pull through the awning rail due to the weight of the air poles. That's the only downside, the footprint is the same as the poled version and we have the same amount of guy lines. Condensation is the same, dies off after a few days once the ground in the awning has dried out. Don't think we'd go back to poled awnings to be fair (we've no need for a full sized awning)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Like Ray I have seen many gizmos come and go including various types of awnings.
With age we find a decent porch awning is all we need plus it must be manageable.
15 years ago we had one of the ultra light gossamer Suncamps. One bad night later it ended up in the skip :(
Three years ago I was persuaded to buy a Kampa Rallye Air 260. Initially it looked great but was very heavy threading through the rail. The sides do not make a good seal with the side of the caravan. Three main inner and middle legs have failed in use. We were perpetually getting wet from condensation. A Kampa roof lining addressed that but at a cost as did extra guy lines. It now resides in the loft . I haven't the heart or decency to sell it on. :eek:hmy:
The reality for us is the faithful Isabella Magnum carbon x porch does everything and stands up time after time in storm conditions. The Isabella storm strapping system is substantial. So for us we never fear at night with the Izzy.
Just to take Hutch up on a point I can say with some certainty the Izzy uses three times more pegs than the Kampa but no external guys to trip over.
The photo below says it all. :woohoo:

Kampa_taking_a_hit.jpg

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
I used the limpets for the first time this summer in Cornwall. Followed instructions to the letter and no damage to the paintwork. However, in moderate wind conditions, two of the four limpets snapped on one side and after buying replacements, another 3 have snapped. Won't be buying any more at £20 a pop!

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I have two air frames, a small porch for short weekends and another bigger awning for longer weekends and group[s camping trips. Can’t fault them to be honest except that one of the air tubes randomly popped whilst out over the August bank holiday, easily fixed with a puncture repair kit, and a replacement air bladder is only £25. I can have my little sunncamp up in under 10 minutes. Never had any trouble in high winds.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
We had a Kampa air awning and found it incredibly hot in the south of France, it was as if it magnified the heat and made the caravan like an oven too. I think it was because of the plastic panels in the roof area (we did have all the doors open / removed too). We sold it and went for a Thule Omnistor Canopy and bought the 'tent' awning as well (which kind of hangs from it like an inner tent, sort of). I know the canopy won't withstand major storms, if one comes we'll just have to put everything that's under the canopy in the boot and/or caravan. But for weekends away, and a week in Normandy in October which did have high winds as Storm Brian was brewing, it's absolutely perfect and within 10 minutes of starting we're sitting with a chilled glass of wine under the canopy.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Merry Christmas everyone!

We recently bought an Kampa Rally Air Pro 200 porch awning to effectively replace our Kampa Rally 200 (the most basic porch awning that Kampa make). The air version is made out of much heavier grade material I admit, but trying to fold the thing to get it back in its bag (with air valves open!) together with all the bits and bobs that it came with is nigh on impossible. I cannot deny that it is a better quality product than the Rally 200, and theoretically is easier to put up (only done it once, so.....), but it almost feels as heavy as our Isabella full awning to pull though the awning rail.

I’ve a feeling that the Air 200 might live in the loft permanently, and the ‘old’ Rally might have a new lease of life, as it was so easy to handle and did all we needed a porch awning to do.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
We bought a particular air awning to go with our van when new in 2016. The first fault i found was it was extrmely heavy.some 35kg.obviously very hard for even 2 people to try an get into awning rail.so we changed it for a Kampa air(simular length) and is only 21kg.so without the other pros and cons .the weight alone should be taken into account.as with conventional awning the poles come in a separate bag and dont all have to be lifted(tugged along the rail) in 1 go.
Apart from that we do find the air awning nice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts