Air beam repair

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi all a question regarding air beam bladders.
If you look at the end of an air beam bladder you will see that it is sealed by some sort ( I guess) heat crimp process. It seems to me that this crimp/ weld is the weak spot and often fails. Has anyone here ever managed to find an effective repair process? Adhesive or tape ?
Now I love my air awning and I much prefer it over conventional pole awnings so don’t go there.
I have tried gaffer tape ( can nearly work) I have tried super glue but that’s just the wrong glue and will not adhere. So if anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful. I have ordered a new air beam but it seems a shame to scrap a good one just because the end opens up.
Regards all
F

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi all a question regarding air beam bladders.
If you look at the end of an air beam bladder you will see that it is sealed by some sort ( I guess) heat crimp process. It seems to me that this crimp/ weld is the weak spot and often fails. Has anyone here ever managed to find an effective repair process? Adhesive or tape ?
Now I love my air awning and I much prefer it over conventional pole awnings so don’t go there.
I have tried gaffer tape ( can nearly work) I have tried super glue but that’s just the wrong glue and will not adhere. So if anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful. I have ordered a new air beam but it seems a shame to scrap a good one just because the end opens up.
Regards all
F
How old is the awning and have you come across others that have had the same issue with the same air beam?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve used Tenacious Tape on an air bed and it worked really well. Your problem might be the area with the leak. Not knowing the material surface or conformity but a cycke repair patch might succeed.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Thanks both for Swift replies. Awning is five years old so we’ll out of warranty. A puncture repair kit was my first attempt but these bladders are of a plastic type material and puncture repair kits are designed for rubber. The position of the failure is the biggest issue with a repair.
F

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ferrodo try the clear Gorrila tape, I have use it on our Hotub, and carry a roll on the caravan. Much more sealant than PVC tape.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Ta muchly Hutch….. off to B&Q then. I see that on UTube someone actually tied a knot in the end of the tube. It worked but it leaves the beam short.🤔🤔

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Maybe recrimping the end of the airbeam, if the leak is at the end , with one of those Vacum sealers for food bags. Still think Gorilla tape will work.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
The problem I found is that the Black Gorilla tape is strong enough it is very difficult to produce an air tight seal. I believe that some sort of mastic plus tape is the way to go.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My old Kampa blew bladders regularly. In the loft now. The internal Bladder is like a heavy duty polythene. Maybe the later ones are better. In fairness Kampa replaced four foc next day to site. Why not buy a new bladder ? Like your bicycle inner tube some repairs are not worth the effort or cost on lots of different adhesives 😉

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi Dustydog. Yes I quite agree and I have bought a new air beam. Trouble is when your “on site” in the middle of your holiday it’s not always possible to get hold of a replacement. So that’s why I’m trying to come up with an effective repair.
Cheers

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dustydog. Yes I quite agree and I have bought a new air beam. Trouble is when your “on site” in the middle of your holiday it’s not always possible to get hold of a replacement. So that’s why I’m trying to come up with an effective repair.
Cheers
Kampa supplied my awning with their own repair kit. As you say when the leak happens at valve joints, not much you can do. Kampa always sent me replacements to site next day . Excellent service. Sadly the answer is bite the bullet and carry a spare.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sugru is a useful item to have available. I’ve normally got a small pack in the fridge. Used some last week to bond a cycle rear light to the rear down tube.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just been looking at Sugru online and it looks like a usefull item we might get in case of a leak

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Well to close this thread off, I have thrown my hands up in defeat. I have tried just about every adhesive and tape that’s readily available without success. Nothing touches the polythene inner bladder with lasting results. Mastic tapes seem to work the best but eventually slip when the bladder expands. Probably the best result was twisting the end of the bladder and clamping it off with a couple of cable ties. So the order of the day is buy a couple of spares, frustrating but there it is.
Cheers all
F

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts