Air conditioning

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Anyone have any experience of air con units in a 'van? Having nearly melted in the humidity of the Dordogne we are looking for something better than a fan. Any idea of cost of a roof mounted unit, weight, power consumption, noise level would be useful - and I can recall reading somewhere about a unit that can be locker mounted?? Any info gratefully received.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roof mounted air con as well as locker type are heavy.The external ones are VERY noisy and several letters have testified to the annoyance they cause.Also they use a high current and I have met people with them who have had tripping out problems Cost is in the region of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roof mounted air con as well as locker type are heavy.The external ones are VERY noisy and several letters have testified to the annoyance they cause.Also they use a high current and I have met people with them who have had tripping out problems Cost is in the region of

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob we bought ours originally for the conservatory but use it in the van more in the summer.

The blown air heater part is about 1100 watts and could be used as an awning warmer on cool evenings as well

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
I have a roof mounted Air Con unit (it was already fiited to the van when I bought it) I agree with John G about the noise they do make a bit particularly on high fan setting. Must say though I have never had any problems with tripping, but I always make sure not much else is running when the Air Con is on.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
My van prior to this one (coachman laser) came with a/c as standard, We found that in the time we had the van we would rather have had the windows open during the day but obviously fro security reasons this is not possible at night. The a/c system was noisy if on full fan but you don,t need full fan at night just a gentle breeze, we did receive one complaint from a couple about the noise but this same couple had complained about other peoples kids, dogs, barbeques, etc. I listned to what the chap was saying then in that he had lay awake most of the night in the heat listening to my a/c running,when i pointed out that i would also probably have been lying awake in the heat if i had not had a/c he saw my point that the only reason he heard it was becouse he was awake anyway and looking for something to blame, nobody else was concerned infact some said they would be getting it fitted if the weather in this country keeps getting warmer.

On the subject of portable machines, as a fully qualified refrigeration and airconditioning engineer (before becoming a train driver) i must advice that most of the portable type units i sold when they where new to this country tended to be a little inferior in the quality stakes, a refrigeration sytem has a compressor in which the motor is sat on springs encased in steel these springs in domestic type units are not desighned to hold the compressor if continually moved, they are ok on theire own wheels but not to be thrown about in a car / caravan, the result is a compressor off its mounts running very noisy and then burning out, I have seen it so many times. Try to get the best quality you can afford and keep the machine from any violant movement and you should be ok, the type of unit designed for travel like the dometic unit have springs and retainers fitted plus the pipe work has annecondas (probably spelt wrong) fitted to remove the chance of the pipe work "work hardening" and cracking under stress of travel. In the long run a much better proposition if you intend to keep the van long enough to warrant the extra cost. i have no experiance of the bed box type a/c unit as i have never seen one in a van, this would be my choice for a retrofit as the weight is in the bottom of the van so stability is effected less, its just a bit harder to fit due to the duct work. i wonder whether the company thats makes them wants a review doing ? I am available as is my van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were in Spain on a C & CC Holiday Rally and a "friend" of ours moved pitches because the noise from air con on a German caravan roof was driving him mad.

Within the hour another friend arrived aho was on the rally with his air con equipped caravan and parked next to them

Not happy campers.

We were talking to a couple who we meet from time to time and when asked why they had not got air con as they had it on their last van they replied that they hadn't been able to use it much as it triped out the electrics.

Its a bit like using the microwave as you say Graham you would have to switch other things off on low amperage sites.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My van prior to this one (coachman laser) came with a/c as standard, We found that in the time we had the van we would rather have had the windows open during the day but obviously fro security reasons this is not possible at night. The a/c system was noisy if on full fan but you don,t need full fan at night just a gentle breeze, we did receive one complaint from a couple about the noise but this same couple had complained about other peoples kids, dogs, barbeques, etc. I listned to what the chap was saying then in that he had lay awake most of the night in the heat listening to my a/c running,when i pointed out that i would also probably have been lying awake in the heat if i had not had a/c he saw my point that the only reason he heard it was becouse he was awake anyway and looking for something to blame, nobody else was concerned infact some said they would be getting it fitted if the weather in this country keeps getting warmer.

On the subject of portable machines, as a fully qualified refrigeration and airconditioning engineer (before becoming a train driver) i must advice that most of the portable type units i sold when they where new to this country tended to be a little inferior in the quality stakes, a refrigeration sytem has a compressor in which the motor is sat on springs encased in steel these springs in domestic type units are not desighned to hold the compressor if continually moved, they are ok on theire own wheels but not to be thrown about in a car / caravan, the result is a compressor off its mounts running very noisy and then burning out, I have seen it so many times. Try to get the best quality you can afford and keep the machine from any violant movement and you should be ok, the type of unit designed for travel like the dometic unit have springs and retainers fitted plus the pipe work has annecondas (probably spelt wrong) fitted to remove the chance of the pipe work "work hardening" and cracking under stress of travel. In the long run a much better proposition if you intend to keep the van long enough to warrant the extra cost. i have no experiance of the bed box type a/c unit as i have never seen one in a van, this would be my choice for a retrofit as the weight is in the bottom of the van so stability is effected less, its just a bit harder to fit due to the duct work. i wonder whether the company thats makes them wants a review doing ? I am available as is my van.
Hi it looks like we were typing at the same time !!!Your point about weight being better low down made me remember that the friend mentioned in my posting had noticed that the door rail across the inside of his end bed caravan was coming away from the roof due to the weight of the air con unit above.C A K Tanks sell the under bed units .(www.caktanks.co.uk)

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Its like i said john some people will never be happy watever the situation its human nature. I do not understand why your friends a/c was tripping the mains as on full load the blizzard 2000 only draws 4.1 amps, it is rated at 1.9 kw of cooling and 1.6 kw of heating. with any electrical motor theire is always a higher consumption on start up of round about 3x so for a split second the blizzard will pull about 12 amps, but the mcb fitted on site should be "type 2" which allow for a sudden surge during start up

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi it looks like we were typing at the same time !!!Your point about weight being better low down made me remember that the friend mentioned in my posting had noticed that the door rail across the inside of his end bed caravan was coming away from the roof due to the weight of the air con unit above.C A K Tanks sell the under bed units .(www.caktanks.co.uk)
Same name similar frame of mind, is theire a pattern emerging here ?.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just read your posting again on current consumption.If the Blizzard 2000(you say 1.9 kw on cooling) is so called because it uses 2000 watts that would be 8amps and could cause tripping on a 6 amp supply.

Am I reading the figures wrong ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just read your posting again on current consumption.If the Blizzard 2000(you say 1.9 kw on cooling) is so called because it uses 2000 watts that would be 8amps and could cause tripping on a 6 amp supply.

Am I reading the figures wrong ?
Hi again just had a look on Dometic website and they say max 4.1 amps as you said.Optional 1.6 kw heating element available in UK.Good for hair drying!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts