AKS 2004 Stabliser hard to close / and lift off

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When hitching up my caravan at storage I seem to have a problem with my AKS 2004 stabliser closing and i have to put my weight on it and it the same when trying to lift it is there anything you can suggest ? Should I have it checked out when we are home

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I think it’s normal to be fairly tight putting it on or off and it’s not possible to decide if it’s too tight by a description, so the only way I’d think would be to maybe drop in at your dealers or when at a service area get someone who’s towing to see what they think, if you store it at a yard get another vanner try it, maybe someone might have a better idea.

BP

Reactions: Beachball
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BB. The friction pads have a precise method of checking and setting up. Your handbook will tell you. If you don’t know get a qualified engineer in. Mine is stiff. This is the pads, correctly adjusted and not worn, engaging onto the tow ball. If was easy to apply it wouldn‘t be doing its job! If you are uncertain get a professional.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Strange that it’s arisen recently have you changed anything ? Mine is very resistant to closing but I know that I have fitted new pads last summer and it’s been like that since the pads were fitted.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB. The friction pads have a precise method of checking and setting up. Your handbook will tell you. If you don’t know get a qualified engineer in. Mine is stiff. This is the pads, correctly adjusted and not worn, engaging onto the tow ball. If was easy to apply it wouldn‘t be doing its job! If you are uncertain get a professional.
DD my caravan is on a slope on this site the next door neighbour was passing information that i could not understand . I put the jockey wheel down then tried to lift the Stabliser off the towball that bit was very stiff to release it from the car the handbrake was on the caravan ,
Was there anything else i have missed ?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Strange that it’s arisen recently have you changed anything ? Mine is very resistant to closing but I know that I have fitted new pads last summer and it’s been like that since the pads were fitted.
Hi otherclive to put my stabliser on to my car i have sit on it for it to click and the green light comes up is suppose to be like that

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
So it’s the hitch not the stabiliser that’s stiff? On a slope? Yes if the weight of the caravan is bearing down on the hitch then it can hard to remove. Move the car a shade so there’s no pressure on the hitch. Should then release easily.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
So it’s the hitch not the stabiliser that’s stiff? On a slope? Yes if the weight of the caravan is bearing down on the hitch then it can hard to remove. Move the car a shade so there’s no pressure on the hitch. Should then release easily.
DD when we arrived the Stabliser was down like in the first photo
i could not lift it up like in the second photo

Attachments

• R1d7efb6fa91bca7ceaacd4fc26fe2464.jpg
    R1d7efb6fa91bca7ceaacd4fc26fe2464.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3
  • $_86.jpg
    $_86.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you reverse the caravan into position this may be the problem. I would move the car forward slightly before unhitching to correct this. The handle should not be that stiff though so I would see if there is a problem with that.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If you reverse the caravan into position this may be the problem. I would move the car forward slightly before unhitching to correct this. The handle should not be that stiff though so I would see if there is a problem with that.
Hi Ray I will try that when we get to next site tomorrow thanks for your input ;)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Two things spring to mind, one BB has often said his back is an issue, perhaps other things too. The stabilizer will have to have some resistance or it isnt working, Im not being rude but are we talking an infirmity issue or something else.

I dont know what caravan you have, its age or history but have you replaced, or had replaced the friction pads. Perhaps a previous owner? When they come as a kit there are a set of shims included, and if the shims have been used, perhaps too many have been used, or maybe the person changing them thought they HAD to be used. Just a thought.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
We live on a hill and park to unhitch facing up the hill. This leaves the hitch extended.

I use the mover to firstly stop the caravan rolling backwards but also I always move the van slightly forewords to compress the hitch very slightly. This, I find, helps the coupling come apart as the pads and ball are suitably aligned with no untoward pressure in either direction.

However, this has no influence on the power required to lift the handle of the hitch that I've noticed. I doubt parking on a slope is the culprit Beachball.

Having said that you might like to try moving the van or car as Raywood has suggested. Certainly worth trying.

You said earlier "Hi otherclive to put my stabliser on to my car i have sit on it for it to click and the green light comes up is suppose to be like that "

I presume you mean the green plastic marker that indicated proper engagement and not the green light that shows your ATC is connected and set?

As others have said you really should have strong resistance to indicate the pads are doing their job. The interesting thing is has this been a problem in the past or just recently?

Just to make you smile. Many many years ago we met an Irishman and his family in the South of France. He was the most "happy go lucky" man you could imagine. A pleasure to be with but I often scratched my head listening to his views on life. His motto seemed to be "Ah, for sure. If it's not ready today it might be tomorrow!"

He always collected a few of us to help him unhitch. The fist time I saw him arrive the outfit was "V" shaped. But with the hitch up and not down. He had loaded his van with practically everything, including awning, in his end washroom. How he ever managed to tow from Ireland still remains a mystery.

He did, however, have one of the old "leaf" type stabilisers on. I almost said fitted. Many here will remember the Scott and similar versions.

I was amazed to find the I could lift the leaf from its location and pull it to one side with absolutely no effort. It was simply resting there.

"Ah, to be sure", said Eamon, "I always taught it had to be like tat!"

Having your stabiliser tight Beachball, is a far better place to be than where dear Eamon's was!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Two things spring to mind, one BB has often said his back is an issue, perhaps other things too. The stabilizer will have to have some resistance or it isnt working, Im not being rude but are we talking an infirmity issue or something else.

I dont know what caravan you have, its age or history but have you replaced, or had replaced the friction pads. Perhaps a previous owner? When they come as a kit there are a set of shims included, and if the shims have been used, perhaps too many have been used, or maybe the person changing them thought they HAD to be used. Just a thought.
Thingy it a 2008 Abbey GTS 2 Berth caravan when we get home taking it to my caravan repairer to check the Stabiliser and tell him about any suggestions anyone has at present resting and relaxing ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We live on a hill and park to unhitch facing up the hill. This leaves the hitch extended.

I use the mover to firstly stop the caravan rolling backwards but also I always move the van slightly forewords to compress the hitch very slightly. This, I find, helps the coupling come apart as the pads and ball are suitably aligned with no untoward pressure in either direction.

However, this has no influence on the power required to lift the handle of the hitch that I've noticed. I doubt parking on a slope is the culprit Beachball.

Having said that you might like to try moving the van or car as Raywood has suggested. Certainly worth trying.

You said earlier "Hi otherclive to put my stabliser on to my car i have sit on it for it to click and the green light comes up is suppose to be like that "

I presume you mean the green plastic marker that indicated proper engagement and not the green light that shows your ATC is connected and set?

As others have said you really should have strong resistance to indicate the pads are doing their job. The interesting thing is has this been a problem in the past or just recently?

Just to make you smile. Many many years ago we met an Irishman and his family in the South of France. He was the most "happy go lucky" man you could imagine. A pleasure to be with but I often scratched my head listening to his views on life. His motto seemed to be "Ah, for sure. If it's not ready today it might be tomorrow!"

He always collected a few of us to help him unhitch. The fist time I saw him arrive the outfit was "V" shaped. But with the hitch up and not down. He had loaded his van with practically everything, including awning, in his end washroom. How he ever managed to tow from Ireland still remains a mystery.

He did, however, have one of the old "leaf" type stabilisers on. I almost said fitted. Many here will remember the Scott and similar versions.

I was amazed to find the I could lift the leaf from its location and pull it to one side with absolutely no effort. It was simply resting there.

"Ah, to be sure", said Eamon, "I always taught it had to be like tat!"

Having your stabiliser tight Beachball, is a far better place to be than where dear Eamon's was!
Actually never had this problem with any of my caravans this the first in 32 years of towing so there must be something wrong .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts