Al-Ko 811431 friction pad replacement,

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
I just tried to replace the friction pads of our Al-Ko 811431 stabilizer. There were no metal rings on the old ones that came out. The new ones come with 6 (metal O) rings, and the instructions seem to suggest I should put one on (and potentially add more if needed).

The instructions also show diagrams NOT including the rings, but seemingly for a different type stabilizer (based on the picture).

Should I add a metal ring or not? I read about "shim ring", not sure that is the correct name :) it's not a rubber one some people write about.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You don't say what van you have.Would your stabiliser be a AKS 3004. My pads are fitted with out washers. think washers are added as the pads wear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxssz8ukUFs&t=6s Try this.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
The guy on the dvd changing the pads well I have seen loads of his stuff on YouTube very helpful in deed, better than reading waffle of some, does anyone know the chap,

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The you tube Is Meet The Trudians I've been Caravanning for over 40 years and still have a look at what he's got to say. Always informative. ;)

PS Ho!! Do you mean, know him personally? Still I'll leave it in.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Sorry it is a Bailey Burgundy 2007. That video doesn't show the rings (I had watched it before), the manual that came with the pads seems to suggest I should at least add 1 ring. A guy at the park here has the exact same Bailey and did have a ring :) But may have been someone before us changing it wrong.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
abyz12345 said:
Sorry it is a Bailey Burgundy 2007. That video doesn't show the rings (I had watched it before), the manual that came with the pads seems to suggest I should at least add 1 ring. A guy at the park here has the exact same Bailey and did have a ring :) But may have been someone before us changing it wrong.
He does mention the shims and what they are for.
O.K. put the shims in, then if when you use the stabiliser, you are still able to lock it on, that's OK .

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
The rings usually are to take up slack as in 'Shims' but sometimes you don't need them. They usually include them in the pack so if you rub the pads down with sandpaper at a later date you can compensate the 'rub off'' with a ring.
Mine came with rings but haven't fitted them yet as tight enough without-if it moans groans & squeaks when coupled up fit a ring and try it then
Mike

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
https://caravanchronicles.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/aks-3004-handbook.pdf

Have a look at this. It tells you how to change them and how to adjust them, and how to decide whether you need a shim or not. PAGE FOUR

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Thanks all! I took the rings out, cause indeed it was tight enough without them. Also after reviewing the entire video, I must admit I didn't see a summary before .. and instead had skipped the second part as it seemed to be just about fixing up used pads (which is clearly what the rings are useful for ;))

New project for today is fixing the flat 7 pin connector, apparently it doesn't like it if you don't unplug it before driving away from the caravan (and the wiring coding from a similar cable someone at the park has here caused all the wrong lights to go on) .. but I should be able to just figure this one out myself one at a time :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts