Ali & steel wheel nuts

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
On my last van I had a spare set of wheel nuts for the spare steel wheel.

Just checked this van and yes I have a steel spare....................but no nuts!!

Question is on newer vans (2016) do you use the same ones for both Ali and steel?

As I cant see why the previous owner would have removed them???

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a spare steel wheel for the caravan, and asked the same question, to Coachman, they replied the same bolts are used but at a different torque, that is mentioned in the handbook. Can't remember whatnit is though. Tight , then a bit more.

Reactions: JezzerB and Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm Nuts!!
Should have said BOLTS not NUTS!!!
But you clever folk sussed it out any way, thanks for the replies,
now I wonder why I had spare ones on the Fleetwood (Adria built).
Funny ole world, but I can go away Thursday with peace of mind,
Thanks again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm Nuts!!
Should have said BOLTS not NUTS!!!
But you clever folk sussed it out any way, thanks for the replies,
now I wonder why I had spare ones on the Fleetwood (Adria built).
Funny ole world, but I can go away Thursday with peace of mind,
Thanks again.
I also asked if the bolts were a different length, due to the thicker flange on the Alloys compared to the Steel, answer was the same bolts are used. Check the data plate on the side of the van for the torque figure.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I also asked if the bolts were a different length, due to the thicker flange on the Alloys compared to the Steel, answer was the same bolts are used. Check the data plate on the side of the van for the torque figure.
Thanks Hutch, read the plate earlier, well the Ali torque at 120kn and tyre pressure at 61lbs, didn't take notice of the steel figure but it was there.

Reactions: Hutch

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
There appears to be no universal answer across all vans and wheels, our Hymers use quite different bolts for the aluminium road wheels and the spare steel wheel.
The alloy wheel uses bolts with a conical counter seating, the steel's use bolts with a spherical seating, and looking into the holes that is indeed what each require.

So what other people here use with differing setups is not relevant to what another "should" use, way best on this safety related issue to follow the van makers instructions, with Hymer for example they make the point very specifically.

Reactions: Gagakev
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our Lunar caravans came with a spare set of bolts for the steel wheel. If you have a puncture and need to use spare and you use the breakdown company, it is unlikely that they will torque the bolts to the correct specification.
They probably will not have a torque tool and even if they had, it is unlikely that it has ever been calibrated.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our Lunar caravans came with a spare set of bolts for the steel wheel. If you have a puncture and need to use spare and you use the breakdown company, it is unlikely that they will torque the bolts to the correct specification.
They probably will not have a torque tool and even if they had, it is unlikely that it has ever been calibrated.
What makes you think they would not have a torque wrench?

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

If they have not got a torque wrench they can always use mine. Although would be strange for them not to have one.

No Extra set of bolts for my steel spare on my Challenger 88nm steel 130nm alloy.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I found that wheel bolts for alloy wheels can be used on alloy rims but Bolts for Steel wheels cannot be used on alloys , due to the difference of bolt angles.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What makes you think they would not have a torque wrench?
Because on two different occasions when Mayday attended for a puncture the mechanic simply used brute strength to tighten the bolts. I did raise the issue with the CC at the time and no idea if it has been implemented.
Just to add even if we did carry a torque wrench I am probably not exactly capable of using it. You do expect the breakdown company to carry one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts