ALKO ATC intermittent failure when plugged in.

Jul 6, 2020
Visit site
When I push my 13 pin plug into my vehicle the ALKO ATC Red light comes on and there is no ‘start-up’ noise. The outer casing on the connector plug keeps coming away, suggesting that the plug is not going in correctly. I tried another vehicle and had the same result. All lights etc working so towed anyway. On return journey, two days later, it worked properly again. I tried it several times when I got back to stoarage site and it now comes on (Green light + sound) but clearly the plug isn’t fitting properly because the outer casing is slipping off slightly. Anyone have any clues what the problem might be?

Reactions: Damian
Jul 6, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, hadn’t really thought of that. It’s under warranty so I assumed that my dealer would fix it for me free of charge but the cost of taking my caravan back, dropping it off then collecting it a few days later is more than the cost of a new plug - and I’ve seen a YouTube video that clearly shows how easy it is to replace!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, hadn’t really thought of that. It’s under warranty so I assumed that my dealer would fix it for me free of charge but the cost of taking my caravan back, dropping it off then collecting it a few days later is more than the cost of a new plug - and I’ve seen a YouTube video that clearly shows how easy it is to replace!
It is a 10 minute job so they may do it while you wait. We were lucky as they came to our storage depot which is about 100 miles from the dealership and changed the plug. No more issues and a lot easier to connect tot he car now. Any AWS technician could do the job. BTW if ATC light was intermittent there is probably a good chance that the lights on the caravan were not working correctly either.

Jul 6, 2020
Visit site
Sadly they don’t do anything while you wait as they have adopted new processes! I would have to drop off one day and collect a few days later. I therefore took the previous advice and bought a replacement plug and fitted it today (thanks to a video on YouTube). Took about 45 minutes but all tested and working so I’m happy!

Reactions: Hutch

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
. I therefore took the previous advice and bought a replacement plug and fitted it today (thanks to a video on YouTube). Took about 45 minutes but all tested and working so I’m happy!

Now that is the kind of reply that I like :)
I am glad that you have everything sorted out , and at minimal cost really.

I dont know what it is about factory fitted plugs, they all seem very badly made and cheap as chips and seem to cause a lot of owners problems, whereas a decent plug would stop all that , and improve the makers reputation.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Under the circumstances, I think you should bill the seller for the parts and the time to fit it.
I agree. My concern would be if anything went wrong with the 12v electrics they would state it is not longer covered under warranty depending oin the dealer of course. Sadly having learnt the hard way we are very wary of dealer promises etc.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Having had problems with the 13 pin connector I now use a silicon spray on the casing and in the join between them. Makes fitting and twisting a sinch. Also bought one of those green things that realigns the pins. Since buying it never had to use it unlike before.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts